PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Miss KeyCaps?

cosmichobo
10th November 2007, 09:43 AM
G'day,

I just added a  to my signature, and had to basically hold down Option & Shift and start going through the keyboard to find it...

And I can never remember the key combination for the symbol (Aha, Option 3... remember Option 3...)

Back in the dark ages (ie System 6 or so) there was a Desk Accessory called KeyCaps (DA's were... well, just little useful apps that resided in the Apple menu, back before the "Special" menu was amalgamated into the Apple menu...)

KeyCaps gave you a view of your keyboard (and it knew what keyboard you had), and if you held down SHIFT, it would capitalise all the keys... if you held OPTION, it showed you what the character would be for each key... etc etc etc.

It was quite useful in my opinion...

FontBook doesn't do anything like it, from what I can see...

zeddie2001
10th November 2007, 09:57 AM
Cmd-Opt-T

Or if you have the input menu appearing in your menu bar (The little Aussie flag) then go down and select "KeyBoard Viewer". This is exactly what you're after.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any other way to enable it besides the menu which sucks.

http://myskitch.com/timzahara/keycaps-20071110-110216.jpg

Goodbye
10th November 2007, 10:01 AM
System Preferences > International > Input Menu > tick "Show Keyboard Viewer".

Tick "Show input menu in menu bar"

Then click the little flag in your menu bar, and select " Show Keyboard Viewer" and voila!

cosmichobo
10th November 2007, 10:02 AM
I kill the "flag" menu cos - how often do you change nationalities...

Cmd-Opt-T -> um... does nothing here?
(OS 10.4.9)

zeddie2001
10th November 2007, 10:06 AM
Should show the character palette if you're in a regular cocoa app (like safari)

mjankor
10th November 2007, 10:31 AM
Edit menu -> Special Characters

forgie
10th November 2007, 10:34 AM
From here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20051022020253863

Keyboard View is actually an application. The path is: /System/Library/Components/KeyboardViewer.component/Contents/SharedSupport/KeyboardViewerServer.app/

To actually navigate that far, you'll have to do a "Show Package Contents" a few times. When you get there, you can open the app and stick it in your Dock. It doesn't have a custom icon, but it is possible to hack one in.

(edit: you have to drag the icon onto your Dock - it doesn't actually pop-up on the Dock when it's opened)

grfxninja
10th November 2007, 10:48 AM
hey, thanks for that Forgie, great tip :thumbup:

Kuma
10th November 2007, 11:07 AM
I kill the "flag" menu cos - how often do you change nationalities...

at least 20x a day....

forgie
10th November 2007, 11:42 AM
at least 20x a day....
Ok, often do those of us that live in Australia use the flag menu to change language? :)

I removed mine as soon as I learnt that you can +Drag icons off the menu bar.

jasako
10th November 2007, 11:46 AM
Keyboard View is actually an application. The path is: /System/Library/Components/KeyboardViewer.component/Contents/SharedSupport/KeyboardViewerServer.app/

That's great! I've now got a shortcut to KeyboardViewerServer.app in my Quickeys menu

iPirate
10th November 2007, 12:51 PM
Viva la option-shift-k!

:-