PDA

View Full Version : Could not load extra.... Why?

estnyc
9th November 2007, 11:18 PM
I installed Leopard, and updated iStat Menus to 1.2, and for awhile everything was fine. Then I made the mistake of installing the Little Snitch 2.0 beta, and, even after I uninstalled it, my iStat Menus are completely dead. For example, I go to the CPU pane in iStat Menus, and see that the "Show CPU in menubar" box is unchecked.

I check it, and get a pane with the error message "Could not load extra iStat menus could not load the cpu extra". I click on the More Information button, and get sent to a support page on iSlayer's site which hasn't been updated since May, and which suggests I need to install Unsanity's Menu Extra Enabler. This makes sense, as 3rd-party menu extras, ie, iStat Menus, are clearly clobbered.

So I go to Unsanity's page for Menu Extra Enabler, and it says it doesn't work with Leopard.

I've tried to install an Intel version of the older menucracker, but that seems to do nothing, too.

So, any suggestions? Is there some menu-extra enabling hack I can use to get iStat Menus back?

Thanks very much.

iSlayer
9th November 2007, 11:30 PM
Do you have developer tools and the chud tools installed ?
There are known issues with menucracker and chud tools.

estnyc
10th November 2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the fast response.

I did recently install the developer tools. I guess it automatically installed CHUD tools. I ran CHUD Remover, and now all's well.

Thanks again!

iSlayer
10th November 2007, 08:11 AM
MenuCracker works by posing as the chud menu extra so if you have the real one then there can be issues. In the next release we are going to let you choose which menu extra MenuCracker should pose as because there are lots of others that get rarely used

Jared
8th January 2008, 11:24 AM
I have a macbook with leopard. When i try to install istat menus 1.2 i get the following error 'unable to copy files' in the installer. Subsequently when i try to tick any of the 'Show ... in menubar' boxes in the istat pref pane i get the same error as the original poster, i.e., "Could not load extra: iStat menus could not load the cpu extra".

I dont think i have CHUD tools or developer tools installed (although i'm not exactly sure where to look for them?) and i dont have menucracker installed. I did install menu extra enabler even though it says it doesnt work with leopard.

Any idea as to what is happening?