PDA

View Full Version : Timemachine - who's got it working?

def
9th November 2007, 04:26 PM
I have a 1GHz TiBook and a 2GHz G5 iMac, both recently upgraded to Leopard. One reason for the upgrade was the prospect of using Timemachine.

I eventually got it working on the iMac (I think) but I've had no success so far on the TiBook. I'm using Firewire for both.

There's a fair bit of chatter on this but no definitive solutions.

What's your experience?

DeF

Squozen
9th November 2007, 04:42 PM
Works fine on three machines, two backing up across the wireless network.

macsyd
9th November 2007, 04:46 PM
I struggled with it stalling at 49.80gb several times, until I turned spotlight off, screensaver and energy saver off. Then success. On an iMac though. FW400.

stevekicks
9th November 2007, 04:48 PM
i've had it working on my macbook and just quietly on my hackintosh while i wait for penryn mac pros to be released.

backed up over 150gb in the first go over USB2 - i will be getting FW800 but no problems on either machine.

iSlayer
9th November 2007, 04:50 PM
No problems here. Worked first time

DVD Plaza
9th November 2007, 04:57 PM
My external drive is only 250GB, so I went into the settings and disabled backing up everything on the drive except my user folder (plus excluded my movies folder too)... thus purely my own work and preferences are included. Works a charm!

If my drive did die I couldn't care less about reinstalling everything, so long as I can simply get all my work back.

rrad
9th November 2007, 05:04 PM
the first backup is the most painful. after that its unnoticeable. its already save my bacon...

petersracing
9th November 2007, 05:26 PM
Works like a charm on MBP. Unfortunately I let it backup some old VPC files and my Parallels stuff but I just excluded them and then retrospectively removed them for my backup. I'm seriously impressed..

Ian

sendai
9th November 2007, 05:41 PM
I eventually got it working on the iMac (I think) but I've had no success so far on the TiBook.Any error messages on the TiBook?

def
9th November 2007, 06:00 PM
Any error messages on the TiBook?

Nothing more useful than "an error occured during backup" (or similar). A quick Google showed that I was not alone in this. Nor does there seem to be a consistent set-up (eg USB vs Firewire, PPC vs Intel, etc). I might have to wait for 10.5.1 to fix this...

DeF

Dubhousing
9th November 2007, 07:15 PM
Working on both an iMac (Firewire) and Macbook Pro (USB2). Restored entire disk from the Firewire drive - worth the money already. Don't even know its working in the background - no speed issues at all.

Galumay
9th November 2007, 08:16 PM
works perfectly for me on my MBP via FW800 to a LaCie D2, initial backup was quick and easy, dont notice the incremental ones going on and it has already proved its worth in restoring a couple of preference panes i deleted when fiddling with stuff.