PDA

View Full Version : backing up

pipsqeek
31st March 2004, 08:46 AM
Not sure if this should go in Software, Hardware or Help. Software for my logical thinking as it relates more to a problem with the software. Disk Utility.

Now that I have a decent HDD to backup properly on. Meaning, to back up everything, not just the high priority items.

When I open the Apple Disk Utility, select my ibook HDD, go to new image, select the 'folder' the directory to create the image in, in this case, the external HDD, I get a mesage that the thing is "busy".

was thinking that it was the external, but I tried to save the image on the ibook HDD (local) then I'll just copy it to the external. But the same message pops up.

Is the Disk Util app not stable enough to use for important things like this? Should I look for another solution, another application? Or am I doing something wrong?

Its not like there is not enough space...120GB HDD and the information I want to save is only 30GB.

Thanks,
Steve

Disko
31st March 2004, 09:48 AM
i asked on irc about this one for you, and i was given this link:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10993

try that app.

Is the drive you're trying to backup running OS X off of it? If it is, that would explain why it is "busy". If you are wanting to backup the OS and keep in intact, you'll need to use Carbon Copy Cloner.

pipsqeek
31st March 2004, 10:03 AM
I shall have a look at the link later today.

No, the external is not running any OS. Its a blank HDD that has nothing but music, pictures and TAFE documents.

I just wanted to use the other partition I created on it as a main backup drive so images can be restored in limited time, when Murphy strikes.

Steve

jameso
31st March 2004, 06:43 PM
RsyncX does the same thing as psync but it will also automate it with cron. this is how i used to back up... http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9066

[EDOT, I AM WRONG... I was thinking of psyncx]

[EDIT, ha ha, look, i can't spell edit]

I don't backup anymore because i need the drive for raw video... hmm, u think im going to have a crash now that i publicly announced that i don't backup?

jameso

pipsqeek
31st March 2004, 06:53 PM
Before, when I use to just use a computer for the net and games, I never backed up.

But now my work has become to important and valuable for me to lose. If one thing is lost, i would consider my life over.

Steve

Damian
31st March 2004, 07:55 PM
I use Carbon Copy Cloner - Panther on a G4 450 DP and an iMac 500 to large FW drives.

Works very well and the image is mountable so you can go retrieve just a single file or folder if the need arises.

Works very well.

Damian