PDA

View Full Version : Mac Office 04 vs 08

sox11
8th November 2007, 12:16 PM
He just wondering Is there any major changes between Office for mac 04 and 08...It is just that i am going to buy it just not sure whether i should wait.

The main reason why i ask is that i can buy it from my uni(QUT) for a full version with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Entourage for $128. But apparently this doesn't qualify for the $27 or so upgrade to 08.

any thought and suggestions much appreciated

Disko
8th November 2007, 12:19 PM
I was told by a reseller that newly purchased copies of 04 have a free upgrade to 08. You might want to double-check if that is true, but it's a start?

step_andy
8th November 2007, 12:39 PM
He just wondering Is there any major changes between Office for mac 04 and 08...It is just that i am going to buy it just not sure whether i should wait.

If you have intel based Mac...
2004 is PPC version and runs on intel macs under Rosetta (read - slow).
2008 will be native intel version (read - fast).

On my MBP, Windows 2007 Office runs faster under Parallels compared to 2004 Mac version

Huy
8th November 2007, 12:56 PM
I prefer 2007 under VMWare (only got it for $75 - Office Ultimate! itsnotcheating deal).

2008 I will pass on, since I do all my work in VMware (and OS X for "fun" stuff :p)

Definitely get 2008 if you have an Intel/don't virtualize. Or try iWork '08.

decryption
8th November 2007, 01:01 PM
Office 08 totally shits all over Office 04 - if you use Office, upgrade, you'll thank your sanity for it.

sox11
8th November 2007, 01:09 PM
I prefer 2007 under VMWare (only got it for $75 - Office Ultimate! itsnotcheating deal).

2008 I will pass on, since I do all my work in VMware (and OS X for "fun" stuff :p)

Definitely get 2008 if you have an Intel/don't virtualize. Or try iWork '08.

i was thinking about going Office Ultimate Deal seeming i am a student with the VMware set up, but i'm just going to dedicate my laptop...but i think it might just be worth the wait till 08.

arkenstone
8th November 2007, 01:21 PM
Mmh.

I was just this minute eyeing off the 13-month-old still shrink-wrapped Office for Mac box I got bundled with my Applecare when I bought the iMac in November '06.

Thankfully sanity prevailed and my NeoOffice download only has another seven minutes remaining.

pgseye
9th November 2007, 07:17 PM
Just be wary if you use any software that relies on VBA. I've found my citation (reference) manager (Bookends) no longer works with Word 2008. The software will be amended to be compatible but this won't happen immediately. So, while Office 2008 is certainly visually quite appealing (and functionally as well I'm sure), I'm stuck with 04 for now.

NORMANDY
9th November 2007, 07:22 PM
Office 08 totally shits all over Office 04 - if you use Office, upgrade, you'll thank your sanity for it.

and where do you get 08 from? I didnt think it was out till jan 08?

happyfrappy
9th November 2007, 07:50 PM
jpicard- maybe decryption got an inside hands on preview of it, MS does university and other training/promo sessions. I've had used 08 a few times on MS owned equipment, I have mixed opinions of how its being marketed and push of Microsoft Expression Media.

If you need Mac Office right now I'd suggest buying '04 during the promo 08 upgrade for $9.99 offer. Never know if you'll ever get a spare older Mac that can't run Tiger or Leopard :cool:
Some IT guys at my university hated WinOffice 07 hype/dumb down and switched to the Mac for the nicer Office. For now I'm not too interested as Microsoft's grip of Office is slowly erroding and several countries/local gov't has shifted towards opensource.
Unless your work/education depends upon PowerPoint or forced requirement of MS Word templates, OpenOffice is good enough for most needs. (I have OpenOffice installed on my ThinkPad)

hmm, I wouldn't be surprised if MS tosses me MacOffice like they've been doing with WinOffice and Vista.