PDA

View Full Version : Now Everyone Knows

MacNut
8th November 2007, 06:29 AM
Finally an article that tells all the truth about the affordability, stability, usability etc of Apple Macs

I thought this was very well balanced but even so the Windoze diehards will not believe it :p

http://machinist.salon.com/feature/2007/11/07/mac_price/index.html

Any comments?

iPirate
8th November 2007, 08:21 AM
So... it trys to prove that Macs are cheaper than PCs because their resale price is higher...? Balanced, perhaps, but single-pointed? Definitely.

What about the usage costs? Those are just as valid.
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/660E746C-F388-4AC7-98F5-6CB951501472.html

IMHO, the best Mac Vs PC 'article' that cannot be refuted is actually one that looks back over some historical data, it gives a plethora of reasons to go Mac (pdf or whatever at http://www.macvspc.info/ )

geektechnu
8th November 2007, 09:03 AM
- Whitebox PCs can be significantly cheaper than what than what the article quotes.

- Self-assembled PCs can be even cheaper again.

- Instead of selling my old PC, I can upgrade it into a top-of-the-line machine for less than $1000.

stewiesno1
8th November 2007, 09:51 AM
- Thats OK geektechnu but your basic Yum Cha PC box is usually a pretty crappy computer. The old adage "You get what you pay for " applies here.

- Most people just want to go into a Harvey Normans or Myer store and buy a desktop straight off the shelf. Just bring it home and plug it in.

Stewie

enzoweb
8th November 2007, 10:22 AM
- Instead of selling my old PC, I can upgrade it into a top-of-the-line machine for less than $1000.

"top-of-the-line" for $1000 might be pushing it, this is what I'd call top of the line

ASUS P5E-X38 Striker Extreme MB 399
Q6700 (Quad Core) CPU 678
4G Kit-667 (2x2G) Kingston Mem 265
Seagate SATA 750G HDD 275
768M 8800Ultra ASUS Video card 985
Pioneer Retail SATA Blu-Ray Combo Player / Writer DVD 555
37 Karter WXA3710 LCD Wide Screen monitor 1165

Total 4322

OK, I cheated and grabbed the most expensive kit :).

Actually, comparing this to the most kitted out Imac, it's not bad (Imac with all the options = $5,098.98, Mac Pro with all the max options a staggering $28,963.01!!).

geektechnu
8th November 2007, 11:18 AM
- Most people just want to go into a Harvey Normans or Myer store and buy a desktop straight off the shelf. Just bring it home and plug it in.
For laptops, absolutely. For desktop systems, less so. Harvey Norman, Myer, et al. (the retail segment of the market) is relatively small compared to the whitebox market (computer shops).

HP and Dell are doing a decent job with their section of the retail market, but the whitebox market is still larger than either of them (about 15-20% vs 30%).

And in the end, all these machines can be upgraded (to some degree) with off-the-shelf components.

"top-of-the-line" for $1000 might be pushing it, this is what I'd call top of the lineTop of the line compared with any consumer-level iMac? Yes.