PDA

View Full Version : Power Adaptor issue - PowerBook

Paxton
7th November 2007, 09:55 PM
I've had a dodgy power adaptor for my PowerBook for about six months. Tonight however dodgy became dangerous, as the little metal prong that goes inside the computer has broken off and will not come back out of the computer - its stuck. When I pull the cord out, there is the white end, and that is it. No Prong, and a hole in the cord where the prong used to be. I'm going to get a new power adaptor, but it is useless if the metal prong is still inside the computer.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to get the prong out of the computer? I have absolutely no idea what to do, but my PowerBook isn't going to Apple. I am determined to do this myself, even if it means opening the computer up.

Thanks for your help,

Andrew.

Wally
7th November 2007, 10:01 PM
Im assuming the power adapter thing goes into the power supply, just a word of warning please be careful.

Disconnect any power source from the powerbook (including battery) give it a few hours so the laptop discharges a little bit of electricity so its safe enough to prod an shielded screwdriver in.

Open it up, touch the metal chasis so you are earthed, carefully open the power supply if you can and push out the prong carefully with the screw driver with shielding on it. Do not i repeat do NOT touch or get within 20 CM of anything inside the power supply. Even after 48 hours there is still a slight charge for at least a week. I got zapped by an LC 580CD for replacing a fuse.. Oops..

If anything my suggestion to you would be to take it to a sparky (if you know any) and get them to remove it for you as they might have all the tools.

I hope you dont plan on putting this dodgy power thing back in again :P

spilla
7th November 2007, 10:01 PM
Put a dab of superglue on the end of a paper clip (or something thin and strong) and then hold it against the prong for about 10 minutes.

Not sure if it'd work, but it could be worth a try... :)

Wally
7th November 2007, 10:06 PM
Put a dab of superglue on the end of a paper clip (or something thin and strong) and then hold it against the prong for about 10 minutes.

Not sure if it'd work, but it could be worth a try... :)

That might just be just crazy enough to work :) or maybe a pair of tweezers and grabbing onto the thing.

stewiesno1
7th November 2007, 10:08 PM
Same as above except you shouldn't have to dismantle the PB. Just buy a pair of those mini needle nosed pliers with the really small ends and if there is enough of the prong left you might be able to get hold of it and pull it out.
I also did a similar thing a while back on of all things a Sewing machine , but used super glue to stick on the end of a small mechanical part and pulled it out once the glue had set.

Stewie

Edit: Ahh , beaten to the punch again with the Super glue trick.

Huy
7th November 2007, 10:20 PM
Magnets? (hey, it might work...)

Failing that... pry it out as suggested above.

Paxton
8th November 2007, 08:40 AM
I'm going to try Superglue. and a Paper Clip. I think that trick should work the best. What about Super Glue on the end of the old Power Adaptor? That could work couldn't it?

As for the Power Adaptor, a new one has been ordered, and should be at my place by the end of the week.

Wally
8th November 2007, 09:35 AM
a paperclip is stronger.

The old power adapter probably would work just chop the cord though. IM paranoid about electricity and zapping these days

Paxton
8th November 2007, 10:09 AM
a paperclip is stronger.

The old power adapter probably would work just chop the cord though. IM paranoid about electricity and zapping these days

Yup, no worries. I'll try this this afternoon.

Byrd
8th November 2007, 10:21 AM
Similar thing happened to the charger on my Powerbook Ti, the "gold prong" snapping off and resulting in horrible buzzing and grinding sounds from the computer's DC board when plugged in.

Be careful you don't get Superglue on the PB's connector itself, only a pin-size should do it! Also make sure the battery is pulled out, don't want to get any shocks/surprises.

JB

Paxton
8th November 2007, 08:32 PM
Superglue saves the day!

I couldn't get a Paper Clip to stick to the metal, so I dabbed a bit of glue onto the old Power Adaptor and shoved it in. Low and behold, it worked. Said adaptor and "gold prong" are now in my Garbage Bin.

Thanks for your help with this. I didn't open the computer up (which was a worry of mine), and when the new adaptor arrives, I will have to be more gentle with it than I was with the original.

Andrew.