PDA

View Full Version : iBook issues

aussiedeano
7th November 2007, 09:02 PM
My iBook died a few weeks ago, and I got a new/refurb's Macbook Pro. My issue with the iBook was the bouncing beach ball of death, not being able to o anything....anyway, my new question is:

Can I wipe out the hard drive on the iBook, so that I can start from scratch basically. I took out the RAM and tied it, still does the same issue, restarted from the disks, which showed no logic board issues. Now that all my stuff is on the MBP, I want to see if I can salvage the iBook for resale.

Any ideas? I only have the iBook and the MBP, no other gear unfortunately!

Thanks!

Currawong
7th November 2007, 09:39 PM
Target disk mode? Connect the two machines using a firewire cable then turn on the iBook holding down the T-key until you see the firewire symbol. The HD of the ibook will appear on the desktop of the MBP.

aussiedeano
8th November 2007, 08:21 AM
Can I then somehow delete what is on the iBook hdd, then reinstall Tiger? And to fully erase the hard drive, do I go into disk utility and select erase? Never done this before, don't want to end up erasing everything on the wrong machine!

tempestas
8th November 2007, 08:50 AM
Correct.

Erase with disk utility and then boot off your Tiger DVD and run the installer.

In fact you could boot up the iBook via the DVD and delete it that way as well.

Disk utility won't let you delete the drive you have run it from.

Once you launch disk utility on the MPB with the iBook as a Firewire target disk it should be obvious which disk is the iBook's

stewiesno1
8th November 2007, 09:31 AM
Are there two sticks of Ram in the iBook ? If there was two ,I'd put one in and try it. If same result as before swap them around and boot again. You should at least be able to establish whether the RAM is faulty or not before going any further.
The other thing is that this series of iBook is notorious for their Logicboard problems even though yours may not be exhibiting any of the symptoms. Just trying to narrow down the potential causes here.

Stewie

aussiedeano
8th November 2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks for that! I took out the RAM (running 256 now), did not fix the problem. The hardware check disk showed no logic board fault, but it has to be something. In the middle of deleting everything and reinstalling Tiger, see if that fixes the problem. I will keep you posted!

aussiedeano
8th November 2007, 10:17 AM
Ok, I may have further problems with the iBook.....I put the Tiger install disc in, hit erase and install, now all I have when I turn it on is a blue screen....nothing else.

I firewired it to the MBP, found the hard drive, and it shows close to 90 GB of free space. So it got erased, but now what?? I got a blue screen! Is there some magic key stroke combo I need to hit when I start it up to get to another screen.....?? And is Tiger installed? How can I tell. Do I hold down the "c" key when I power up to get it to start?

aussiedeano
8th November 2007, 11:22 AM
Tried the G4 install disk, to see if there were any hardware issues. It said all was fine. Still can't get past the initial blue screen. Any ideas what is going on? The initial starting OSX bar only goes about half way, then it stops. Very wierd....

Mutters
8th November 2007, 11:32 AM
Deano

Did you do as Currawong suggested - start the iBook in Taget Disk mode while connected to the MBP?

From the MBP you can run Disk Utility on the iBook, as well as install the OS.

Which model is it exactly - the iBook?

mutters

aussiedeano
8th November 2007, 11:50 AM
It's a G4, 1.2.....

Um....how would a person DO what you suggested, going into the target disc, etc....I'm not so good with this sort of stuff....do I firewire them together, then pick the iBook hard drive, open up the disk utility....but how do you install the OS? I'll see if I can do the first part....

aussiedeano
8th November 2007, 11:57 AM
I firewired them together, but now when I insert the Tiger disk and select it, it says that OSX is not supported on this machine.....??? How do I install it to the iBook now? Or can I?

Mutters
8th November 2007, 12:09 PM
I firewired them together, but now when I insert the Tiger disk and select it, it says that OSX is not supported on this machine.....??? How do I install it to the iBook now? Or can I?

Do you see the iBook in System preferences on the MBP - startup disk?

If so, you should be able to re-format it via the OSX disk in the MBP.

Don't give up!

mutters

BTW this model shouldn't have logic board problems, they were back in the first lot of 867Mhz machines as far as I recall.

stewiesno1
8th November 2007, 12:17 PM
Ahhh G4 1.2 . Shouldn't be a prob with the logicboard then - or not one of the more common ones anyway.

Stewie

stewiesno1
8th November 2007, 12:21 PM
If you get stuck on the Firewire TDM here is a guide from the Apple site.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

Stewie

Mutters
8th November 2007, 12:26 PM
If you get stuck on the Firewire TDM here is a guide from the Apple site.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

Stewie

Good link:thumbup:

Although it still doesn't tell you you can do an OS install to the Target Disk via this mode.

mutters

tempestas
8th November 2007, 01:17 PM
Dumb question but does the Tiger DVD do the checking media thing before running the installer or does it go the blue screen after you boot up?

Holding down C will when rebooting boots of the CD/DVD drive. If you have booted in Firewire Target disk mode, pop the TIger install disk in the MPB and install tiger on the iBook's drive. That should still work. Once you have done the full install you should be able to reboot the iBook.

Make sure the RAM and Airport Card are seated properly, and that the power cord is providing power as well.

aussiedeano
8th November 2007, 02:21 PM
Do you see the iBook in System preferences on the MBP - startup disk?

If so, you should be able to re-format it via the OSX disk in the MBP.

Don't give up!

mutters

BTW this model shouldn't have logic board problems, they were back in the first lot of 867Mhz machines as far as I recall.

It only shows me the MBP hard disk and network startup......

I tried to install Tiger from the MBP, popped the disk in and selected it, but it is still saying I cannot install on this machine....is there a special way to install Tiger from the MBP to the iBook? Do I just click on install and select a spot to install, or do I drag and drop???? Sorry I'm not very 'puter smart......need to get me some more learnin'!

stewiesno1
8th November 2007, 03:17 PM
I just assumed you could seeing as Apple invented bloody Firewire , however I could be wrong . If you can do network installs over ethernet then I would assume you could do it via TDM over Firewire.
I guess one of the gurus here will be able to tell us in due course.

Stewie

Edit :
Well scouring the interwebs reveals that yes you can do this. see here...
http://lowendmac.com/misc/06/0914.html
One of the other points raised in the Apple article above also gives a few caveats for the firmware.
And another point is whether your HD inside the iBook is set to slave instead of master. If it is set to slave you will not be able to install the OS via TDM.

Stewie.

aussiedeano
8th November 2007, 03:26 PM
It must be me. I'm no good at troubleshooting this stuff. I've turned the iBook off, restarted it in firewire mode (hold down the T on power up), can see the hard drive on the MBP, but can't do anything else. I dragged and dropped the Tiger install app from the disk, but it says I can't install it on this machine.....

When I go out of firewire mode and try and reboot the iBook, I get stuck at the blue screen. ARRGGHH!!!!! Frustrating......

Anyway, I have no idea what is wrong, someone may just pick up a bargain G4 in great shape!

Mutters
8th November 2007, 03:38 PM
I'm getting the feeling your iBook's HD might be cactus.

When you run the OSX installer it should ask you which disk you want it on.

But you're saying that it won't accept the iBook as a valid location.

How about formatting the iBook's HD from the MBP using Disk Utility - will it let you do that?

Running out of ideas here.

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you?

mutters

kim jong il
8th November 2007, 03:40 PM
This might be a dumb question but you are not trying to install Tiger from your MacBook install DVD are you? Your MacBook install DVD is Intel only and your iBook is PPC and requires a retail PPC version.

tempestas
8th November 2007, 03:42 PM
Dumb question.

Is the Tiger install disk the one that came with your MPB? If it is its Intel Only.

Have you tried resetting the PRAM? See here http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449#faq6

basically turn off the machine then turn it back on whilst holding down then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard.

Its a multi-fingered stretch but doable.

aussiedeano
8th November 2007, 03:42 PM
This might be a dumb question but you are not trying to install Tiger from your MacBook install DVD are you? Your MacBook install DVD is Intel only and your iBook is PPC and requires a retail PPC version.

No, the Tiger I have was the one I bought specifically for my iBook a couple of years ago, so it is PPC.....

Mutters
8th November 2007, 03:45 PM
NA

mutters

aussiedeano
8th November 2007, 03:52 PM
I'm getting the feeling your iBook's HD might be cactus.

When you run the OSX installer it should ask you which disk you want it on.

But you're saying that it won't accept the iBook as a valid location.

How about formatting the iBook's HD from the MBP using Disk Utility - will it let you do that?

Running out of ideas here.

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you?

mutters

Trying this now.....and I'm in Point Cook

aussiedeano
8th November 2007, 03:59 PM
Does "S.M.A.R.T Status: Not Supported" mean anything??

Mutters
8th November 2007, 04:55 PM
Does "S.M.A.R.T Status: Not Supported" mean anything??

No, that's just a disk failure monitor that only runs via the internal architecture, not over FireWire.

Point Cook - damn, we couldn't be much further away. I'm in Croydon.

mutters

aussiedeano
8th November 2007, 05:22 PM
Point Cook - damn, we couldn't be much further away. I'm in Croydon.

mutters[/QUOTE]

I know, thanks for the thought though!

jrad
8th November 2007, 05:35 PM
Make note I believe you cannot install Tiger on a PPC machine from an Intel Mac... there are several OS system differences between them but most importantly the file system is different. You can load the disc from your macbook by having the disc in there and running target mode, but you can't target mode the iBook and install the OS to it from the Macbook.

Edit: Partition table, sorry. Not file system. The PPC uses the Apple Partition Table, whilst Intel Mac's use GUID Partition Table and PC's use Master Boot Records.

forgie
8th November 2007, 05:52 PM
I think Jazza is right - you can't install Tiger "cross-architecture" like that. You have to install PPC from PPC, and Intel from Intel.

BTW another thing to check on your iBook (if it starts up off the HDD at all, that is) is to startup holding down +V. This will start up in "Verbose" mode, and you'll get a real-time console telling you what your iBook is doing as it starts up. If there's any hardware issues, you'll likely see some errors spat out. Also, you may see that startup stalls after a particular message - that is very useful in trying to work out what's going wrong.

Startup in Verbose Mode, then report back telling us what the last few messages were (or any error messages if there are any).

g5agogo
8th November 2007, 05:54 PM
This is perhaps a dumb question, but when you tried booting the iBook from the Tiger Install disk did you try holding down the "c" key when you started up?

forgie
8th November 2007, 06:01 PM
This is perhaps a dumb question, but when you tried booting the iBook from the Tiger Install disk did you try holding down the "c" key when you started up?
Just to clarify....

Holding down "c" will make a mac boot off the optical drive.

Holding down "Option" will bring up a menu allowing you to choose from all the bootable drives.

Holding down nothing will make the mac boot from your hard disk (actually it'll boot from whatever you set your mac to boot from using "Startup Disk" in System Preferences.... but I digress).

aussiedeano
8th November 2007, 06:50 PM
Ok, tried verbose mode......not sure what I was looking for, but by the time I read half way down, the Tiger "Welcome" screen and musc started...yay! Short lived however.....it stopped about 15 seconds into it. So, I think I have a dud HDD! That's a relief.....now I have an older 80 GB HDD, but it is in a USB enclosure.....I take it I can't boot up from it, just from firewire? And if I can, what are the keystroke combos?

forgie
8th November 2007, 07:56 PM
You can only boot up from USB on intel macs (and some particular PPC models... I think it was the last Power Macs?). Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

To boot up of an external drive, startup with the Option key held down. You'll get a choice of startup disk at a menu. Sometimes you have to wait a minute or two - or you'll have to hit the refresh button for your mac to see the right disk. (this interface is much improved on Intel macs btw)

aussiedeano
8th November 2007, 08:43 PM
Well it appears you can use USB for an external HD. Just booted up the original HD now....sweet. So it looks like a HD issue. All I will need to do is drop in the original 80GB, erase it, clean the case and try and sell it! Sweet.

Thanks to everyone that helped me today....there were some great suggestions, and things I did not know I could do! That's why this place rocks! And no one got shitty with me! Yay!

See you at my next crisis!

Dean

Mutters
8th November 2007, 08:53 PM
Keep us posted, old son.:)

mutters

silverdreamer
8th November 2007, 09:52 PM
What OS where you originally running on the iBook.

I have a G3 iBook I have had since 2001. It still runs a charm, was going to sell it when I got my Mcbook, but it makes a handy second screen/web browser, so I would not be giving up on yours, and if you get it working, considering what you would get for it, I would suggest you might be better off keeping it as a second computer

Try the Apple help sites:

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/