PDA

View Full Version : Paralells Q about Linux

womble
7th November 2007, 02:26 PM
hey guys

i was wondering how I can install ubuntu or red hat using paralells, im not sure if i have to install from cd/dvd or is there another way?

i provide systems for supermarkets and im thinking about using linux for the os but i need to learn it basics first,

thanks

jason

decryption
7th November 2007, 02:28 PM
Just download the ISO file off the net, then when creating a new virtual machine in parallels, instead of choosing the CD drive, just point Parallels towards the location of the ISO file you just downloaded.

womble
7th November 2007, 02:35 PM
thanks

womble
7th November 2007, 02:36 PM
also do you/ppl think that if it is mainly being used for music, i need to be able to access the system over the network, and there is a script that will have to be programmed where, it gets 2 files from one place and 1 from another and then it just keeps going until there are no files left, which distro will be better must be visual because i have a couple of ppl that will be working with me? ubuntu or red hat

jason

conufsed
7th November 2007, 03:24 PM
RedHat you need to purchase, so I'll assume you are talking about Fedora Core, which is RedHat's free offering.

Both are very capable of doing what you want, so it comes down to more a choice of preference. Myself, I've been using Ubuntu since 2004, and Debian before that since 2000 or so.

womble
9th November 2007, 02:39 PM
hey guys trying to install ubuntu and not having any luck, downloaded the i386 vesion when im trying to install it comes up with a message saig that the display has been off a certain ammount of times and it recoomends i should wait i think 90 secs before retrying ok so i wait and it still does it

anyone please help?

womble
12th November 2007, 12:12 PM
ne1???

purana
12th November 2007, 12:31 PM
Which version of Ubuntu? Tell us the name of the iso you downloaded..

Currawong
12th November 2007, 01:20 PM
You might have an easier time with VMWare, as it was designed for Linux and similar virtual machines. Parallels has a history of not working very well with Linux.

jerrah
12th November 2007, 01:38 PM
I've had a flawless time using Ubuntu on Vmware Fusion.

zbaron
12th November 2007, 06:30 PM
I had a similar problem installing an Ubuntu a while ago, I solved it by setting the virtual machine OS type to Solaris 10.

denwol
12th November 2007, 06:37 PM
I think it says somewhere in the readme to choose solaris rather than ubuntu when setting up the machine in parallels.

jerrah
12th November 2007, 07:46 PM
That sounds like something that Parallels really need to fix.

ladyspink
12th November 2007, 07:55 PM
I used this tutorial to install Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn in Parallels ....

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/04/27/how-to-install-ubuntu-feisty-fawn-in-os-x-using-parallels-a-complete-walkthrough/