PDA

View Full Version : Bang for Bucks Bluetooth Phone [merged]

helloroto
25th February 2005, 12:15 PM
Hey all,

I have decided that my Nokia 1100 is a bit basic for my needs now and am looking to upgrade to a phone with bluetooth, camera etc. Can anyone suggest anything within a $450 price range? My friend has a Sony Ericsson F500i, but i have no idea now much it costs.

Thx'
Roto

iSlayer
25th February 2005, 12:22 PM
motorola all the way.
motorola fliptops are great phones.

zefi
25th February 2005, 12:23 PM
I like the SonyEricsson K700i. I have a Motorola E1000 on a 3 Hot Cap plan and its quite a nice little device, the bluetooth is quite different however. And a lot of syncing features are missing, but there are workarounds.

Disko
25th February 2005, 12:30 PM
*pats his new Motorola V3 Razr*

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000707022173/

djfusion
25th February 2005, 12:52 PM
In my opinion the Moto V3s are crippled by their lack of onboard memory (4MB). esp. compared to the SE K700i (42MB).

The ultimate BT phone at the mo' is the SE S700 but that is quite expensive, otherwise your best option is definitely the K700.

markh
25th February 2005, 01:10 PM
Sony Ericsson all the way.. Moto's BT is crippled

gmask1
25th February 2005, 01:15 PM
I've been very happy with my Ericsson T610 - it's not a recent release, but it would be pretty cheap to get now.

Lots of goodies, including Bluetooth.

ARB
25th February 2005, 02:05 PM
I've been thinking of upgrading to a SE T630 - you can pick one up from Virgin prepaid for $199, and it will work immediately with my Optus SIM.

Here (https://www.virginmobile.com.au/selfcare/MyAccount/store/1-needphone.jsp)

I reckon this phone looks great as well as being very functional.

decryption
25th February 2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by ARB@Feb 25 2005, 03:05 PM
I've been thinking of upgrading to a SE T630 - you can pick one up from Virgin prepaid for $199, and it will work immediately with my Optus SIM.

Here (https://www.virginmobile.com.au/selfcare/MyAccount/store/1-needphone.jsp)

I reckon this phone looks great as well as being very functional.
Yep, do that :)

Jimbo
25th February 2005, 02:36 PM
well me ima go a nokia 6260 i think the pocket word and pocket excel shall be quite beneficial to my stuff

djfusion
25th February 2005, 02:49 PM
Not on a screen and keyboard that small it won't.

Rayd
25th February 2005, 02:49 PM
i rekomend motorola A1000 from 3, if you need a PDA/PHONE/MP3 etc, then this is the phone for you, and its not that big either! :D

djfusion
25th February 2005, 02:52 PM
Actually if you wanted a PDA/PHONE/MP3 I'd recommend the 02 XDA Mini - it's smaller and smarter than the Moto and the BT stacks seem to support more profile. :)

Otherwise I still say the K700 for a bang-for-bucks BT handset - you can use the FMA software and set it to lock and unlock your workstation or changed music volume based on your proximity to the PC - neat!

jasako
25th February 2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by gmask1@Feb 25 2005, 12:45 PM
I've been very happy with my Ericsson T610 - it's not a recent release, but it would be pretty cheap to get now.
Lots of goodies, including Bluetooth.
ditto for me. Picked one up on eBay for $120 - virtually brand new, not even a scratch!

Syncs up with out any problems, but my T68 did that too (which is for sale by the way...)

_xfire
27th February 2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Feb 25 2005, 01:30 PM

where'd you get it from disko?

downsys
27th February 2005, 05:56 PM
a Sony E t610 now sells for only $169 from virgin, or get the t630 for $30 more. the Razr now costs $699 brand new (from www.ow.com.au) or others. shop around.

scruffie
27th February 2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by downsys@Feb 27 2005, 05:56 PM
a Sony E t610 now sells for only $169 from virgin, or get the t630 for $30 more. the Razr now costs $699 brand new (from www.ow.com.au) or others. shop around.
totally gutted. i paid 1k for the v3. :angry:

se phones are better with bluetooth than motorolas. they have faster transmission speeds and work with isync (you might need to check the apple site to see what phones are included).

but for value for money i reckon you should go with the v600/v620. they are a bit heavier, but they also include a bluetooth headset with the purchase.

iluvmymactoo
27th February 2005, 07:05 PM
I second the Motorola V620.

It comes with a BT Headset that you can also use with your Mac, it has mp3 ringtones, it's light and small, and if you're into cameras it takes stills and small videos (though I never use those). The covers are changeable as well.

Paxton
27th February 2005, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by iluvmymactoo@Feb 27 2005, 07:05 PM
I second the Motorola V620.

It comes with a BT Headset that you can also use with your Mac, it has mp3 ringtones, it's light and small, and if you're into cameras it takes stills and small videos (though I never use those). The covers are changeable as well.
the only question is, Does it sync to Mac? I am getting a Blackberry from work in the next month, and my Nokia 6610i is getting handed back. Because of the lack of Mac support with the BB, I need to look at a new personal mobile, and the Motorolas look like the pick. I had a look at the V620 at Telstra today, and was impressed with the look and feel of the phone, but how are the quality issues with the phone? My work uses Nokias because of the lack of problems with the phones compared to any other manufacturers. Can anyone else vouch for the Moto phones especially the V620? I would love to hear from you!

estoyloco
27th February 2005, 08:16 PM
I had a Sony T630, it was very good for a NON NOKIA phone. Interface was a little crap but it was good overall.

I like the camera and the phone feels solid and has nice reception.

I would just get one of them. Mobiles are a waste of money.

fompsweeva
27th February 2005, 09:16 PM
I say stick to the 1100 - at the end of the day, do you need all the flashly features?

scruffie
27th February 2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by paxtonandrew@Feb 27 2005, 07:42 PM
the only question is, Does it sync to Mac? I am getting a Blackberry from work in the next month, and my Nokia 6610i is getting handed back. Because of the lack of Mac support with the BB, I need to look at a new personal mobile, and the Motorolas look like the pick. I had a look at the V620 at Telstra today, and was impressed with the look and feel of the phone, but how are the quality issues with the phone? My work uses Nokias because of the lack of problems with the phones compared to any other manufacturers. Can anyone else vouch for the Moto phones especially the V620? I would love to hear from you!
i just tried syncing it for the first time to my mac. unlike the sony ericssons, you have to use a usb cable. the only items you can sync are your phone book entries and your calender events.

ive had a fair few motorolas in the past and have found (and have accepted) that usually the os is the big weakness of the whole package. its slow and freezes at times. if you've been used to a nokia, you might have to slow down a bit when you enter text messages. it might even take awhile for the phone to register a call. i.e. if you were to call your phone, it might hear a couple rings first before the motorola starts ringing. the older motorolas were pretty slow, but the v620 is pretty much the improvement of the v600 - so most of the bugs have been ironed out on this one. funnily enough, ive found my v620 to be a lot faster than my v3.

on the other hand, i think that they are built better than the nokias. and the sound quality is superb.

i wouldn't want to say 'buy this and you won't be disappointed' because that would be a lie.

Rayd
27th February 2005, 09:27 PM
orrrr you could wait for the Z800 i.e V800 (sony ericsson)

scruffie
27th February 2005, 09:31 PM
yes yes very good idea!
or wait for the k750i (?)
think it comes a 2 megapixel cam. wee!

spargo
27th February 2005, 09:42 PM
I have T610, which I use everyday with my 15" PowerBook via iSync, BlueFoneElite, and Romeo.. I think the phone does the job, is good value for money, and definitely works very well with the built-in BT on Apple portables

although..... i have been told that the T630 is a significant step up from my phone, and is probably the better buy considering the small price difference and better screen they made available on the new model..

However if you are into all that photo-messenging and video phone tripe, then you'd be better of buying something with a big useless power-draining screen, a million functions you'll never use again after the first fortnight of owning it, and a battery that just cannot deal with any significant level of usage..

If you want to buy a phone that has Apple-compatible bluetooth, and allows you to make and receive calls, then either the T630 or T610 is for you -

happy shopping..

Rayd
27th February 2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by scruffie@Feb 27 2005, 10:31 PM
yes yes very good idea!
or wait for the k750i (?)
think it comes a 2 megapixel cam. wee!
K750i aka clara... that phones sounds good! :D cept i would rather the Z800 because of its 3G capabilities, and looks! :D

sfcoy
27th February 2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by ARB@Feb 25 2005, 02:05 PM
you can pick one up from Virgin prepaid for $199, and it will work immediately with my Optus SIM.

I would not bet money on that.

The carriers are sim-locking their (prepay) phones these days. When my son got his Nokia from Virgin, they said it would cost around $80 to unlock it.

Steve C.
A happy SE K700i user, courtesy of Optus.

Febs
27th February 2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by sfcoy@Feb 27 2005, 10:28 PM
I would not bet money on that.

The carriers are sim-locking their (prepay) phones these days. When my son got his Nokia from Virgin, they said it would cost around $80 to unlock it.
Yes but they're sim-locked to a particular network, and Virgin use the Optus network.

Personally, I'd look at the following (in descending order of price, features and coolness):

- S700i (though it's still not compatible with iSync yet :()
- K700i
- T630
- T610

SE all the way. Their bluetooth implementation is fantastic. I've got a T610 and honestly, the only phone I'd consider upgrading to is the S700i...but the lack of iSync compatibility and the thickness is holding me back atm.

Disko
27th February 2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by _xfire@Feb 27 2005, 06:09 PM
where'd you get it from disko?
I bought it from a vodafone store on no plans Mobile Purchase Plan.

downsys
27th February 2005, 10:58 PM
first up, blackberry can be synced with a mac. check out - www.pocketmac.net

second, if you purchase from virgin, you can also use Optus simcards in it. if you want to unlock it, it's not that you have to pay $80 for nothing. to unlock, top up the phone up to the value of $80 and it can be done for free. (u don't need to top up at one go, just the accumulated value). unlike Tel(shit)Stra which charges $50 to unlock.

icant
27th February 2005, 11:56 PM
I have a Nokia 6230. Colour, BT, camera, no protruding antenna, fast to use, uses standard Nokia charger, changeable plastic covers, speaker phone, and IR. Traditional Nokia candybar design -- non flipping.

http://nokia.com.au/nokia/0,,48500,00.html

The BT does NOT work with iSync. Sending photos do work.

There is a 3rd party shareware that can do addressbook/SIM card/photo etc managment, but I don't use it.

Ashar
28th February 2005, 12:09 AM
I have been toying with my buddy's Treo 650 last couple of days. I have been using Treo 600 for a year or so. As a Mac user Treos and palm combo..has just been perfect. No glitches, no bugs, distortion free sound quality, ease of use & Palm's friendly layout....smooth "syncing" all the way. Now the 650 has BT and a few other upgrades..esp. the crispier screen. I might just buy it.. However recently looked at the O2 XDA mini..loved the form factor..hated the MS OS . Somebody has said that a software changes the XDA to a Mac layout. If so..I might just go for it. Any one here has tried this software...I think it's called Pocket Mac Pro or something?

So my two cents would go for Treo 650 ( the complete machine True PDA/True phone!!) OR XDA mini ( Form factor/ Pocket PC/ and an added phone...kinda!!!!)

Cheers!

dovla
28th February 2005, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Feb 25 2005, 12:30 PM

Disko you stole my fone :D

gaehl
28th February 2005, 07:50 AM
Ashar yes there is Pocket Mac Pro (i think that the write name) or there's the Missing Sync both are shareware and when i last looked buggy but that was when they first came out. Anyway have a look and have fun!

djfusion
28th February 2005, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure why anybody here would suggest the outdated T610 or T630 when for only slightly more cash you can get the far newer and superior K700 - it has iSync support, a much better screen, mp3 ringtones, fm radio, good camera and 41MB of space compared to only 4MB or so on the T6X0 series.

Remember, BT isnt very useful on a phone when you've got no room to store things on the phone and nothing worth transferring off it in the first place. :P

foonster
28th February 2005, 10:11 AM
I must seem like a Luddite, I'm still using a pre-millenium Sagem phone! But it has SMS, dual band, speakerphone, silent ring ...what more do you need? :P

Best to hold off til phones come out with H.264 video + BlueTooth 2.0

MightyAtom
28th February 2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by djfusion@Feb 28 2005, 09:15 AM
I'm not sure why anybody here would suggest the outdated T610 or T630 when for only slightly more cash you can get the far newer and superior K700
Possibly because the K700i is butt ugly and made out of crappy painted silver plastic that wears off easily (unlike the T610), I hate plastic phones. The K700i is an embarrassment to the Sony Ericsson name and its proud hybrid Japanese/Swedish heritage.

I'd much rather choose a K600i (http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5788.html). Nice study metal case, excellent quality screen, small and 3G to boot. It also looks rather reminiscent of a small "MP3 player" made by relatively unknown company called Apple.

If it's available in red or preferably pink I'll be getting one as soon as they're released to replace my beloved red T610.

SE Link. (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp1_loader&php=php1_10238&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10238)

djfusion
28th February 2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by MightyAtom@Feb 28 2005, 12:43 PM
Possibly because the K700i is butt ugly and made out of crappy painted silver plastic that wears off easily (unlike the T610)
Sounds like 3rd hand BS to me. Myself and several friends have had our K700s since they were first released many months ago and we havent experienced any paint-chipping or anything remotely dodgey with the housings.

Also if you'd held the phone you'd also know that the majority of the housing is actually metal not plastic.

If a metal housing is all you're after then please, buy an over-priced featureless V3 or another ancient T610, I'm simply trying to recommend products that provide the most superior BT functionality at the best price first (as per thread starters request) and form second.

The K600 is nice. And bulky. And unreleased. And designed for the 3G network.

Reason I might seem biased is that I've owned and loved the T610, the T630, the K700 and now I use the S700 as my daily phone and all I see is improvements on top of improvements. Trust me, from personal experience the K700 leaves the T6X0 series for dead.

K700 with the T630:

http://www.phonearena.com/imgs/pics/reviews/28392403.jpg

.. and you'd describe the K700 as the plasticy one? :blink:

helloroto
8th March 2005, 11:20 AM
Hey all

I posted a topic a while back about a good bluetooth fone and i got a load of responces. Wondering if A835 is a good first bt fone

thx roto

Disko
8th March 2005, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by rotogrip_rocks_707@Mar 8 2005, 11:50 AM
I posted a topic a while back about a good bluetooth fone
thats right. you did. *merged*

bassmanbliss
8th March 2005, 11:28 AM
Hey Roto,
Although I haven't owned an A835 I have been through 5 Motorola A920's, 6 A925's, and am currently about to recieve my 3rd A1000, so just by past experience with Motorola phones I would probably steer clear and go for a nice BT sony ericsson or something as they seem a lot more reliable. Also I am not entirely sure about the A835, but the ones I have had require a bit of work to get working with osx. You have to edit a plist file which can be a bit painful and it still does not sync 100%.

darknight84
8th March 2005, 12:21 PM
DO NOT get a Motorola v600 or Razr V3 both phones are pretty much identical anyway besides the way it looks. My advice is to get a MPX220 by Motorola. Its the best phone on the market! haha probably! not sure if it has bluetooth!

nicwithsticks
8th March 2005, 12:32 PM
I love my SE Z1010! its a little bit chunky, but the features rule, and it came with a 32mb Memory Stick DUO. For $195 I reckon it was a steal. Just my 2c tho. I do like the K700i and I'm thinking of geting a Z800i.

Steer away from the V3 from Moto if you want to use Salling Clicker tho, they aint compatible.

Chr1s
8th March 2005, 12:44 PM
I really want one of those Razr's. How much are they? Can't seem to find a price anywhere for one.

Edit: Oops. Nevermind, found Disko's post.

pipsqeek
8th March 2005, 12:58 PM
Is it just me, or is $800+ too much for a mobile?

I mean, if anything, Australia is one of, if not... the biggest Mobile phone consumer in the world. So why are these phones so damn expensive?

I understand there is some gold in them. I have a mate that works in a small chain of mobile repairers in NSW. But the prices are truely stupid, if you ask me.

pipsqeek

mbd
8th March 2005, 01:14 PM
I had a SE T610 and hated it. It was really slow and got easily confused if an SMS/call came in while in the middle of doing something else.

If you're after a cheap little phone that does Bluetooth with macs brilliantly (isync, etc), check out the Siemens s55. It's also triband, has a colour display, J2ME, GPRS, and you can get a camera add-on with a flash too if you're gagging for some crappy camera phone action.

Best of all is the price - They're superceded, but I bought an unopened, in box one for just over $100 a couple of months ago. Check ebay for current market prices.

Snowy28
8th March 2005, 08:39 PM
Ok, just a quick question - Tomorrow I am going to go and buy a T630 prepaid on Virgin Mobile.

1) Is this mobile branded with a virgin logo anywhere?
2) Is it confirmed that an Optus sim can be used with it straight away?
3) Is it available in white aswell?

Thanks a lot in advance

:D

scruffie
8th March 2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Mar 8 2005, 12:58 PM
Is it just me, or is $800+ too much for a mobile?

I mean, if anything, Australia is one of, if not... the biggest Mobile phone consumer in the world. So why are these phones so damn expensive?

I understand there is some gold in them. I have a mate that works in a small chain of mobile repairers in NSW. But the prices are truely stupid, if you ask me.

pipsqeek
Have you seen the vertus yet? They had some selling in hong kong. I think the cheapest ones that they had them for was roughly hkd35,000 which is about $6,000 aud. it does look pretty, but i am not sure whether it has bluetooth though... :)

Febs
8th March 2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by djfusion@Feb 28 2005, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure why anybody here would suggest the outdated T610 or T630 when for only slightly more cash you can get the far newer and superior K700
Several reasons.

1) Some people don't want to spend heaps. For $200ish, the T610 is excellent value.
2) The K700i is fugly (that's subjective, of course).
3) The K700i is buggy (that's not subjective. Two of my mates have one, and they have no end of problems, even with the very latest firmware).

I'm looking for a decent phone to replace my T610...and while I'm happy to spend around $800 on it, I still haven't found anything suitable. The S700i comes close, but it's too thick for me.

So I keep chugging along with my trusty T610. :)

Cheers,
- Febs.

djfusion
9th March 2005, 07:51 AM
Fair enough then. But if you've got the cash to buy a BT-equipped laptop then surely you can spring the extra $175 or so it takes to buy the K700 over the T610 (the K700 goes for about $375 new on ebay)

It's just that the screen, camera, storage space, fm radio, java support and mp3 support are all much better on the K700 than they are on the T610 - I mean, they've improved on absolutely everything.

But then going back to what you said, I agree that if you aren't using interested in using BT to transfer ringtones and games to your phone and photos off of your phone then the T610 would do just fine if all you want to do is synch your contacts and control programs from your phone. :)

Sorry to hear about your friends handsets too, no probs to report here at all with mine - what kind of problems are they both having?

davechan
11th March 2005, 02:12 PM
I'm in the same boat as you are Febs - I'm still kicking on with my old T610 because I haven't seen anything suitable yet.

My phone *has* to have iSync capability (how do people live without having their phone book and calendar always in sync???) and from all I've seen this basically means sticking with Sony-Ericsson. The other requirement is a phone that is a bit special, a bit different, stylish, feels good in the hand. All other features are optional.

For iSync capability, the T610i rules. For a stylish phone, I still haven't come across anything that made as big an impression as my old Nokia 8850.

So far nothing in the SE range has taken my fancy (K700i is too plasticky, S700i is too thick, P910i is too big). So I'm waiting patiently...

Does anyone have a more accurate timeframe for when the new SE's are coming to market apart from "Q2, 2005"?

starwxrwx
11th March 2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Snowy28@Mar 8 2005, 08:39 PM
Ok, just a quick question - Tomorrow I am going to go and buy a T630 prepaid on Virgin Mobile.

1) Is this mobile branded with a virgin logo anywhere?
2) Is it confirmed that an Optus sim can be used with it straight away?
3) Is it available in white aswell?

Thanks a lot in advance

:D

I have the t630 from virgin.

1) no - its not branded with a virgin logo

2) it definately works with virgin postpaid... and others on this thread have said yes defiantely works with optus

3) no - only black (i really wanted the white one, but the cheapest outright was $450ish!)

i still think the white is a bit nicer than the black, but overall i am happy with the phone :) it has some quirks in the software which are shite, but no more than my old nokia had... its all part of learning a new phone os

overall i'd say go for it :)

ps - the t610 runs an older ver of the software, but it otherwise the same as the t630 (apart from looks, screen quality etc)
but if u get your t610 fixed for some reason, they will prolly upgrade the software and it will then be feature-identical to the t630

the t630 is better looking tho! ;)

djfusion
11th March 2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by davechan@Mar 11 2005, 02:12 PM

So far nothing in the SE range has taken my fancy (K700i is too plasticky, S700i is too thick, P910i is too big). So I'm waiting patiently...

I still have trouble reconciling all the recommendations for the T630 (which is 100% plastic) with the grumblings about the far superior K700 being ~50% plastic in this thread. :blink:

Harry the Horse
11th March 2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by djfusion@Feb 25 2005, 02:52 PM
Actually if you wanted a PDA/PHONE/MP3 I'd recommend the 02 XDA Mini - it's smaller and smarter than the Moto and the BT stacks seem to support more profile. :)

Phone dealers I have spoken to say that the PC type hansets such as O2 wont sync with a mac. Is this true, will I need special software?

or put another way does anyone know of a PDA/smartphone that syncs with a mac, has BT and Wifi?

downsys
11th March 2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Harry the Horse@Mar 11 2005, 05:22 PM
Phone dealers I have spoken to say that the PC type hansets such as O2 wont sync with a mac. Is this true, will I need special software?

or put another way does anyone know of a PDA/smartphone that syncs with a mac, has BT and Wifi?
please read through the thread before asking the same question over and over again :thumbdn:

the t610 under virgin is $169, and t630 is $199. k700i is about > $350 on eBay.

the Vertu is not a phone to be compared with. they offer a service where u press a button, and u'll get service (sorta like a secretary). $6000? i saw another model going for 17,000 pounds (how much is that? $30,000 is it?) if i'm not mistaken.

no need to ask anything else, if u want iSync and Salling Compatibility through bluetooth, get an SE. or Nokia Series 60 or Bluetooth enabled Palm or Siemens s55 or Sendo X. nothing else works. so no need to ask. (or have a look at apple's isync page, and salling clicker's)

if u really want a Motorola, the v280 will be coming out soon (it's already released, not sure when it'll come to aus). basically, it's a V3 in candybar design, but tinier. records video h.264 too.

Harry the Horse
11th March 2005, 10:31 PM
Sorry Downsys I dont mean to go back over old ground but I looked the the entire thread and didnt find (or didnt understand) the answer.

The o2 seems to run a different os; Windows Mobile 2003 PocketPC Phone from the handsets being mentioned here.

Since my last post I found that Apple dont support pocket PCs of this type with isync and instead refer to another site "mark/space" who sell a piece of software which claims does make it all (except entourage) work. I'm hoping someone out there is sucessfully doing it and can advise me before I end up with $1300 worth of synch problems.

I've looked at the SE P910i but no wifi capability and the phone shop people dont seem to think it can be added. Ditto the Treo650 people cant offer wifi on an otherwise great looking phone. The O2 seems a better unit but if the great windows-mac divide is really that deep I'll have to give up on the wifi- but it does seem like a useful feature when work and home are airport enabled.

DJY
12th March 2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by davechan@Mar 11 2005, 02:12 PM
I'm in the same boat as you are Febs - I'm still kicking on with my old T610 because I haven't seen anything suitable yet.

Ditto here!
Love the T610!
Works a treat - looks good - isync's perfectly!

I really wanted to like the RAZR - but the UI / OS was the pits! Alot of the currently released Sony Ericsson's look terrible... and have very plastic small keys. There are a couple of interesting phones that they look like bringing out later in the year... which has be interested...

but also so do Motorola! The SLVR is one I'd like to see - and hopefully with the range of iTunes phones coming out they have fixed / updated the UI / OS. All the hype this week of the secret phone that they "were" announcing on Thurs - but then at the 11th hour "one of the parties involved wasn't happy / ready" has me very curious. Sounds very much like an Apple thing... so I will be watching over coming weeks with great interest.

But as the market currently stands I havent found a worthy overall replacement for my SE T610

starwxrwx
12th March 2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by djfusion@Mar 11 2005, 03:44 PM
I still have trouble reconciling all the recommendations for the T630 (which is 100% plastic) with the grumblings about the far superior K700 being ~50% plastic in this thread. :blink:
i think the plasticy phones are great :)

i love the depth you get from having clear plastic over a diff colour like on my t630, and the contrast between black and silver details

but thats just me :)

cmetom
14th March 2005, 12:08 PM
Disko, what's the v3 like? And syncing with iCal and address book is possible?

I've fallen in love with it's looks and want want want.. regardless of feature issues that I'm well aware of (lack of memory, etc)...

Disko
14th March 2005, 12:14 PM
cmetom - it's fantastic, though it doesn't sync at all.

People say it'll sync with the cable - not from what i've seen... I've been using onsync to merge contacts from my addressbook. I'm a "form over function" kind of guy - so the V3 is perfect. ;)

hoony
14th March 2005, 12:45 PM
Are you guys sure that T630 virgin pre-paid phone works with an optus sim?

I went to buy one last week to upgrade my Nokia 6610 and the guy swore the virgin phones are locked to virgin only now.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

djfusion
14th March 2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Mar 14 2005, 12:14 PM
cmetom - it's fantastic, though it doesn't sync at all.

Lol, so it has no memory, no radio, no mp3s, no isync support - worst BT phone evar! ;)

bah
14th March 2005, 03:45 PM
I have had a t68i, a v600, a z1010 and now a v3.

The mot's ui is braindead, and its got really lousy features compare to the z1010. It doesnt look like im carrying a fricken blackboard duster in my pantz though.

When I found out that the v800 was going to be even longer than the z1010, albeit thinner and narrower I just decided fsck sony-ericsson until they stop making such stupidly bulky phones.

If you want a cheap phone, cant go past the z1010 on the three deal, mine was $175, and then get it cracked for another $30 and use any sim in it.

bah

cmetom
14th March 2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by djfusion@Mar 14 2005, 01:50 PM
Lol, so it has no memory, no radio, no mp3s, no isync support - worst BT phone evar! ;)
i'm disappointed about the memory thing, cause it means i'll have to be concious of what's on there.

i don't care about radio, i have an iPod.

i don't care about mp3s, i have an iPod. BUT. it does play mp3s as ringtones, so that's not "no mp3s" to me.

i'm also disappointed that i can't sync to iCal.. but nor can my current phone.

bleh, i like the look of it - like disko said, form-over-function / style whore, whatever :lol:
regardless, still a bit of time left on my current contract so we'll see what's out there when i'm closer to upgrading.

downsys
14th March 2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by hoony@Mar 14 2005, 12:45 PM

I went to buy one last week to upgrade my Nokia 6610 and the guy swore the virgin phones are locked to virgin only now.

pretty pretty sure. coz virgin runs on optus' network. but just to be extra sure, ask someone here who got the same thing, running on their optus simcard.

Snowy28
2nd April 2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by hoony@Mar 14 2005, 12:45 PM

Confirmed. The T630 on Virgin works with Optus Sim cards :)

I got the phone the other day, and think it's great, I'm really happy with it.

pipsqeek
3rd April 2005, 10:32 AM
I just recently bought a K700i 2nd hand. But it was only a month old, from a mate. You can still get them brand new on Ebay (from phone dealers) for about $350 + PP.

I can't say what the battery life and stuff is like yet cause I've only had it for three days.

And I'll be completely honest, I've not had the best run with SE phone. I hate their charger plug design... flimsy to say the best.

But I, for some reason keep ending up with one. And now that I have Bluetooth, I have found that it seemlessly works with iCal and OSX.

I've always really liked Siemens phones. I've had two of them, one was stolen from me and the other was actually got run over by a car, still worked fine, but I don't have much luck with electronic devices, so I replaced it ASAP.

I was looking at getting a Seimens SF65, Seimens Australia says its been available since January 2005. But no dealer or Wholesaler for that matter has even heard of them. This phone is really nice. 1.3MP camera (that I wouldn't use that much) but it looks like a mini iBook. Its Snowy white and very sexy... if you look at phones that way.

I suspect when it is eventually "available" in Aust. It will retail for around $1100. Out of your price range.

If you want Bluetooth and all that. Get the K700i. Its got the bang for buck that you need. :)

pipsqeek

Astrobuoy
6th April 2005, 03:43 PM
V3's REALLY blow goats. Don't get one!! They look sleek and sexy and yuppies love the m because it's one less thing to stick on their belt. BUT THEY SUCK. BT detects them but you can only do Sync with them. They only have a 5.5MB internal memory but you can't transfer photos and MP3's to them anyways.

Rang Moto to get support on it and they were glad to inform me that as policy, they don't make their phones compatible with MACs. WTF!!! Half the guys I know who own laptops, own Apples. Is Microsoft paying these guys on the side or something?

Anyways, I'm now looking at a Samsung D500. Most people wouldn't touch Samsung with a tenfoot pole but with a 1.3MP camera, BT, MP3 ringtones, and (supposedly) 96MB of internal memory, it looks to be the way to go. Plus with video recording, inbuilt flash for the camera and the fact that it is a slide phone, not a flip (which is good for guys like me who always break them) I'm seriously thinking of getting one soon.

Problem is I can't find anywhere that tells me if they're fully more MAC compatible than my wife's V3.

Other than that, I've had a T610 since for the last two years and fully recommend them. I bought my brother one for his birthday. They are a tough little phone and as everyone else who has posted in this thread can tell you, you have no problems syncing and downloading everything from your BT apple to it.

BTW guys FYI, check out here (http://www.studentphones.com.au) if you're sick of bidding on EBay and just want to buy something brand spankers outright. I personally shop with these guys (http://www.uniquemobiles.com.au) and recommend them because I know I for one am sick of plans.