PDA

View Full Version : Weird iStat Pro problem with Leopard

sanXp
7th November 2007, 11:25 AM
Hi guys, I am experiencing a weird problem with iStat Pro on Leopard. I'm on a 2.4 MBP btw. When my MBP resumes from standby, the whole system will stutter and my mouse becomes unresponsive. This did not happen when I put my computer to sleep and my dashboard has not started. I closed the widgets one by one and after closing iStat Pro the problem went away. Adding it back causes the same issue to return. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

iSlayer
7th November 2007, 11:29 AM
We haven't had any other reports of that issue but ill check it out and see if i can reproduce it

sanXp
10th November 2007, 05:28 PM
Alright, thanks. Oh and another thing, the system takes a very long time to resume from standby with iStat Pro running too. The screen will be dark and it seems like the only way to get it back is to press the power button repeatedly. I'll try again when 10.5.1 is out.

Cybix
16th November 2007, 09:19 AM
no issues that I can see with my machine (2.0 core duo MBP). Does take a little while longer to sleep/wake up compared with Tiger, but I don't think it's istat pro....

sanXp
23rd November 2007, 05:28 PM
I just tried iStat Pro with 10.5.1, and the same thing happened. Basically the whole UI is just very sluggish after a standby. Weird thing is that this does not happen with iStat Nano, neither does this happen on my iMac, also running iStat Pro and 10.5.1.

cite
28th November 2007, 07:39 AM
I can confirm what the first poster said: Whenever "iStat Pro" is active and I swith to the "Dashboard" application, the MBP won't wake up correctly.

I wasn't able to reproduce this problem with "iStat nano", although this should be possible (you just have to find a view in "iStat nano" that will trigger the beforementioned behaviour. This should also give the devs a clue on where to look for mistakes, though, obviously, a simple system monitor shouldn't be able to crash the whole system).

For completness's sake: Running 10.5.1 on a new MBP.

marc
28th November 2007, 08:09 AM
It sounds like it's specific to the SR MBPs.

As we don't have any here to test on, any extra information you can give us will help! If you can get iStat nano to do the same thing when viewing a specific section, then that would really help us.

iSlayer
28th November 2007, 08:42 AM
Here is a test version for you guys to try. It's basically the same widget with S.M.A.R.T drive temperature monitoring disabled to see if thats where the issue is.
istat_pro_4.2_SRTest.zip (http://islayer.com/software/istat_pro/istat_pro_4.2_SRTest.zip)

cite
30th November 2007, 02:17 AM
The test version still makes my SR MBP crash after wakeup. I have been able to log into the box from remote and capture the logfiles, you can find them here:

http://www.incertum.net/~cite/crash1.log
http://www.incertum.net/~cite/crash2.log

I cannot tell you what PID 227 is in the first log, but PID 113 in the second log is an opened terminal. I'm afraid that both logs are of minimal use to you only, because the only rellay useful piece of information seems to be the message from the NVDA driver, who wasn't able to reinitialize the graphics card (or whatever a "GFX" is) after system wakeup.

Something in iStat Pro seems to trigger a bug in the underlying operating system, which leads to a) the graphics card not waking up and b) the wireless network card having severe trouble after wakeup. The logs don't even tell us if iStat Pro is to blame for that or if it's the Dashboard itself.

Sorry that it didn't work out :-(

VogonPoet@mac.com
22nd December 2007, 02:55 AM
I just want to confirm the original posters problem. I'm seeing the same behavior on my 2.4GHz MBP (Santa Rosa) with iState Menu running.

jmoses
5th January 2008, 06:17 AM
Actually, + a bunch.

See this thread on the Apple support boards.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6249977

Wasn't sure if this had been reported here, but I see it has.

hdyromike2
1st February 2008, 07:37 AM
i can confirm i had the same problems, i was using the istat pro widget and the battery widget, i would test it but i'm pretty sure it was just the pro doing it for me, once i removed it all then my MBP 2.2 w/leopard 10.5.1 started working like new again, btw, i miss my istat widgets, i feel out of place now, my dashboard just isn't the same :(

iSlayer
1st February 2008, 07:57 AM
Here is an update you can test. We still think the problem is a bug with OS X not istat pro but we are trying to work around it.
http://islayer.com/software/istat_pro/iStat_pro_4.5_SRMBP.zip

pierren
6th February 2008, 05:02 AM
I've been running this version for the past 5 days with multiple cycle of sleep/use and the issue has disappeared !! Great work, thanks a lot. iStat Pro is now back on my Macbook Pro (BTW it's running 10.5.1)

iSlayer
6th February 2008, 07:44 AM
Ok great. We will wait to hear from a few more people to make sure its really fixed then we will do a public release

sporadic
14th February 2008, 02:04 PM
Here is an update you can test. We still think the problem is a bug with OS X not istat pro but we are trying to work around it.
http://islayer.com/software/istat_pro/iStat_pro_4.5_SRMBP.zip

Hi, here's my test results/observations:

I got the MPB about 3 weeks ago, it came with 10.5 and I updated to 10.5.1, then found additional goodies like iStat Pro. I have a pretty clean install, with a minimum of other widgets and software.

I'm running 10.5.2 right now, and I noticed this issue got worst after the 10.5.2 update. I noticed it a few times with 10.5.1 but I didn't know what it was, so I just ignored it. 10.5.2 pretty much made it so the system never woke up properly. I did a quick search and other users indicated the iStat Pro was causing it, so I removed it for a few days and indeed the system will now resume from sleep.

The iStat_pro_4.5_SRMBP.zip file did not address the issue for me, my 2.2GHz MBP still won't not wake up after opening the lid. The keyboard (caps lock) is responsive, but the screen remains dark.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jimmy

klever
17th February 2008, 08:46 PM
Ok great. We will wait to hear from a few more people to make sure its really fixed then we will do a public release

hello.
Now its not working, mbp still wakes up to loong and then system lags.

mjankor
24th February 2008, 08:52 PM
Well it's definitely an Apple bug as there's no way a widget should be able to have that effect. However, iStat is definitely (for me at least) the catalyst that causes this bug. I've disabled the iStat pro widget for a bit until it's sorted.

iSlayer
24th February 2008, 09:14 PM
Well it's definitely an Apple bug as there's no way a widget should be able to have that effect.

Yep thats right. We know its not an iStat pro bug. We are still trying some different things to try and workaround it though. Haven't give up yet :)

lexusburn
25th February 2008, 11:02 PM
Hello, i have a MBP 3.1 (Santa Rosa) and have the same Problem since Leopard.
Because of this i have deleted iStat Pro from Dashboard.

I hope that you or Apple find a solution for this problem, because i can't live with that issue to reboot when Touchpads freeze after standby.

I want to help if i can...

iSlayer
26th February 2008, 08:08 AM
http://islayer.com/software/istat_pro/iStat_pro_4.51_SRMBP.zip

As i've said before the main problem is not in iStat. We are just trying to work around a system bug.
If you have the problem without iStat installed(many do) then obviously this update will not help you. The best thing you can do is send feedback to apple.

sporadic
26th February 2008, 12:16 PM
http://islayer.com/software/istat_pro/iStat_pro_4.51_SRMBP.zip

As i've said before the main problem is not in iStat. We are just trying to work around a system bug.
If you have the problem without iStat installed(many do) then obviously this update will not help you. The best thing you can do is send feedback to apple.

Woo hoo! I just tried out the 4.51_SRMBP release, and the MBP resumed from Sleep :) Granted, this was one test but none of the previous versions worked with 10.5.2. I'll keep trying and report back in a day or so, I should have more datapoints by then!

Thanks again for such a wonderful widget and for the great support!

Regards,

Jimmy

iSlayer
26th February 2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks. Thats great to hear. Hopefully it works for everyone so we can do a public release asap.

lexusburn
27th February 2008, 06:40 AM
on my MBP 3.1, i have a black screen after wake up from sleep, with 4.51_SRMBP.
i have to shot down computer hard by pressing power-button. :(

can i help with log-output?

iSlayer
27th February 2008, 07:08 AM
on my MBP 3.1, i have a black screen after wake up from sleep, with 4.51_SRMBP.
i have to shot down computer hard by pressing power-button. :(

But if you close iStat pro the system wakes properly ?
Can you give me more info about your network connections.

Edit - Looks like something i tried in the beta isnt quite working correctly. Working on a new version now

iSlayer
27th February 2008, 08:01 AM
http://islayer.com/software/istat_pro/iStat_pro_4.52_SRMBP.zip

If that doesnt work please let me know more about your network setup and you can email console logs to supportteam@islayer.com

sporadic
27th February 2008, 12:05 PM
http://islayer.com/software/istat_pro/iStat_pro_4.52_SRMBP.zip

If that doesnt work please let me know more about your network setup and you can email console logs to supportteam@islayer.com

Hi again,

Since yesterday, 4.51 went through 10 sleep-wakeup attempts successfully. I just downloaded 4.52 and it also passed the first sleep-wakeup iteration. I'll keep testing and report back with my results in a day or two.

Regards,

Jimmy

iSlayer
27th February 2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks Jimmy. I really thought 4.51 would be the final fix so its strange it didnt work for lexusburn. I think we will just have to wait a while and see if it works for other people

lexusburn
27th February 2008, 05:03 PM
Hi iSlayer...

When i delete iStat Pro the problem is fixed and my MBP wakes up correctly.

I install the new verson now and say more in one or two hours when i wake up my book next time from sleep.

When the book don't want to wake up correctly, i send you console logs.

My network connection? at home i have WIFI and at work simple 100MBit Ethernet.

andcheese
27th February 2008, 05:30 PM
Can you provide a similar version for iStat Menus?

I took it out and my "crazy pointer" and "long recover from sleep" went away, but I'm going crazy without it! :eek:

I'm not much into widgets, but I love my menu bar telemetry! :D

Can you also give a little insight into what's causing the problem? I'm pretty technical and have been tearing at this one for a while, but it bounces in so many directions...

andcheese

iSlayer
27th February 2008, 07:24 PM
Can you also give a little insight into what's causing the problem? I'm pretty technical and have been tearing at this one for a while, but it bounces in so many directions...

The thing is we really dont know exactly what the problem is with iStat. The underlying problem must be in the platform drivers since its only specific models that are affected.

I'll send you a private message with a link for an iStat menus test.

lexusburn
27th February 2008, 10:54 PM
With the new "stat_pr...4.52_SRMBP.zip" it works for me at the moment. :thumbup:

have deleted the old version before installing the new and now i have the second wake up with no more freezing touchpad-problems or the problem with the black screen (4.51_SRMBP.zip).

All fine at the moment.

When this evening all is ok after the next 1-2 standby-states and a wakeup without cable-ethernet (work) and with WIFI (home) is also ok, then this version is fine.
Now i have the change from WIFI to cable-ethernet (home to work) and all is clear.

Can you tell me why you are thinking that this problem have a conjunction with the network setup? :confused:

lexusburn
28th February 2008, 08:23 AM
Seems to work!

No more freezes since installation of "stat_pr...4.52_SRMBP.zip" and the black-screen after wake-up isn't occurred anymore. :)

If no other users have any problems i would say that you have fixed this bug. :thumbup:

thank you!!!

iSlayer
28th February 2008, 01:17 PM
Excellent. Thanks for all your help.
Once a few more people get the same results we will do a public release

iSlayer
29th February 2008, 07:49 AM
Anyone else had success with 4.52 ?

iSlayer
1st March 2008, 07:34 PM
Anyone ?
sporadic, is 4.51 still working ?. Have you tried 4.52 yet?(4.52 is very different)
lexusburn, Still no issues ?

lexusburn
2nd March 2008, 04:53 AM
Anyone ?
sporadic, is 4.51 still working ?. Have you tried 4.52 yet?(4.52 is very different)

No problems with 4.52! :)
My MBP is up since 3d 22h 29m ;)

Thank you!

teqvexed
3rd March 2008, 06:24 PM
this problem is also discussed in another apple support discussion thread aside from the previously mentioned one. Apple - Support - Discussions - Mouse lag ... (http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6741417#6741417)

i also experienced the mouse skipping after extended wakeup time with my santa rosa mbp running leopard. i had to reformat my laptop for this and other reasons but was terribly disappointed to still experience the problem (i installed istat pro right away haha). i wish i had learned that istat was the culprit before i told a lot of my friends that leopard sucked because it had issues waking from sleep.... anyways im running damage control for apple on my discouraged friends while running the test version of istat pro. so far so good!

teqvexed
5th March 2008, 04:44 AM
hrm I just experienced a delayed wake-up from sleep. it lasted at least 3 minutes and the caps lock light stopped responding so i went with a restart... not sure if its related! are there any logs i can look at/post?

iSlayer
5th March 2008, 06:47 AM
hrm I just experienced a delayed wake-up from sleep. it lasted at least 3 minutes and the caps lock light stopped responding so i went with a restart... not sure if its related! are there any logs i can look at/post?

there might be some errors in console.log but the problem is they are generic network errors. They never point to any specific app.
Alot of people have the problem without iStat pro installed so i dont know if your latest problem is because of iStat pro or not. Could be completely unrelated.
My only suggestion would be to continue testing the beta. It seems whenever people have issues its constant so if you only get a random problem then it may not be iStat pro.

sporadic
7th March 2008, 01:46 PM
Anyone ?

Hi,

4.52 has been rock solid for me, after numerous sleep and wake ups. As far as I'm concerned, 4.52 is perfect on my MBP (C2D 2.2Ghz).

Regards,

Jimmy

iSlayer
7th March 2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks Jimmy.
4.52 has fixed the problem completely for 3 users now so we expect to release a public update next week

altbinall
18th August 2008, 03:17 AM
Just to be clear..!

I do NOT have a Santa Rosa MBP, I have the original model from 2006.
Also, I am using iStat NANO, not pro.

I have the exact sleep/wake problems listed by everyone else.

So, dunno if that changes anything, but there you go :)

kennelsp
19th December 2008, 02:52 AM
nevermind