PDA

View Full Version : Help! need a composite video out

buzzjunkie
25th February 2005, 03:21 AM
Hi to all.. stoked to find this forum.. so fu*&%$#n sick of god damn useless computer store "technicians" who glaze over and give you the thousand yard stare at the mention of 'MAC'. even the bloody mac store people know squat!

Not that i havent found plenty of mac help online, but not back at home in oz. anyways... onto the problem at hand, ive been trying to suss a way to get composite video signal out of the box, and have come to the conclusion that for the most reliable result (ie: not four adapters all plugged into a messy line) a new graphics card is called for. Im on a dual 1.42Ghz G4 so have no worries with my current card, but just need a composite out to run for video editing, projections etc. Ive come to find that the only solution seems to be another dual head video card to run along side my existing one. (the idea of four screen layout is exciting!) but I dont want or need an S-video out... just composite, and whatever else VGA or DVI comes withit. dunt matta. SURELY there HAS to be a card that im lookin for. theres plenty for PC. ive found one for sale in the US, but cant seem to find the stinkin thing here!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5168774136&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25449&item=5168774136&rd=1)

can someone please point me in the right direction???

cheers all..

titan44
25th February 2005, 06:52 AM
Possibly here (http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=352) roll your own

hawker
25th February 2005, 06:53 AM
Hi buzzjunkie and welcome to the forum :)

As a video editor myself, I know that these cards exist, and will run well in your G4, however I can't seem to find someone who stocks them. Give me some time and I will try and hunt one down for you. In the meantime, someone else might know how to get their hands on them :)

Good luck,

Fear
25th February 2005, 07:16 AM
Check out the flashing pc video card sticky, most pc cards are by default composite.
ive got a flashed HIS 7000 pci in my blue and white that is stock comp output :)
tho i use the comp output on zoran dc30+

Byrd
25th February 2005, 09:12 AM
If you get a video card with SVideo output, there are cheap adaptors that can convert it to composite out. A lot of video cards already come with these adaptors too if they have only Svideo out.

Otherwise, Jaycar sell a VGA-->SVHS/Composite adaptor - it costs around $70 - 80. You can use your existing video card for this, and not have to take up another previous PCI slot for another video card. The quality of this adaptor is quite good, so I'm told :)

JB

Fear
26th February 2005, 04:31 AM
A quick and nasty way to fix this if your willing to buy some stuff from dicksmith and good with soldering iron. :)
Conversion Link (http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/svideo2cvideo.html)

buzzjunkie
26th February 2005, 09:34 PM
thanks for the attempted help all.. couple of further things i should have mentioned.. ive checked out the flashing option, Titatan44 I did read that post and am no where NEAR confident enought to attempt it, especially when i hear a mere suggestion that it may stuffup something else in the process! Byrd, I did try all the electronics stores in perth (obviously where I am) and they had little idea about any product that existed to do what i wanted. and if i can find another PCI card at $100 id much rather take that option and have two extra outputs than an $80 VGA/comp converter.

Hawker, im keen to hear if you can find anywhere to get them, and do you really live in Darwin?? i grew up there... i know this isnt the place to get all nostalgic... but you dont meet too many people from there!

Another question i forgot to ask, was if anyone is successfully running two dual head video cards in a G4?? one in the AGP and another PCI one? is this no worries at all? cuz i only just realised the difference between AGP and PCI, and that you can only have one AGP.

I found another one on US ebay that looks good, with good price.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...ssPageName=WD2V (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25449&item=5167996835&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V)

would a consensus be to go with something like this?

thanks again all, appreciate your help.

cheers.

geektechnu
26th February 2005, 10:18 PM
If you're just after an s-video to composite conversion plug, I'm pretty sure I've got a couple sitting around in my room. I could send one your way if you like.

Note: s-video comes in 2 flavours - I thnk they differ by the number of pins in the connector. The one most commonly used on video cards converts to composite just fine.

Byrd
27th February 2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by buzzjunkie@Feb 26 2005, 09:34 PM
Another question i forgot to ask, was if anyone is successfully running two dual head video cards in a G4?? one in the AGP and another PCI one? is this no worries at all? cuz i only just realised the difference between AGP and PCI, and that you can only have one AGP.
You'll have no problems having multiple video cards in your G4, any mix of AGP and PCI. The Display control panel of OS X enables you to select each monitor and change settings easily. ATI also offer an Control Panel utility which enhances these functions, so if you're an existing ATI card, try to get a PCI ATI card as well.

JB

buzzjunkie
1st March 2005, 11:17 PM
thanks for confirming that byrd, i figured that was the case, just wanted to make sure before i waste more money on it!

geektech, ive been searching for a video card with a straight composite out... cant seem to find one, so is looking like ill have to get one with a S-video out and just use a converter. but i know i can get one of those, thanks very much anyways.

the search continues on... i notice this whole graphics card for macs thing is a bit of an issue for many people. thought they would have sorted a bit more out at this stage of the game! again if anyone finds anywhere selling them locally with composite or S-video, let me know.