PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro & D-Link DSL 200

rachwade
6th November 2007, 04:15 PM
I have recently bought a MacBook Pro and after much trying (and headaches) have been told that my current internet connection (D-link DSL-200) does not work on my new laptop.

Does anyone know what is the best connection to buy to that I can access the internet from my MBP???

Please help!!!

jerrah
6th November 2007, 04:22 PM
You're trying via USB? Does your modem/router have an ethernet/network port on it?

Anything with a network port on it will work fine with your MBP.

EDIT: DSL200 doesn't appear to have anything other than a telephone (RJ11) and USB ports on it. Look for something with a RJ45 (network) plug on it.

You should be able to pick up a wireless modem router device for under $100.

Netgear, Dlink, Billion, Linksys, Belkin are all common brands that I can think of.

rachwade
6th November 2007, 04:30 PM
haha i dont understand any of that!!!

whats a "router"? or "ethernet"???

i just want to plug it in and go!!

rachwade
6th November 2007, 04:31 PM
THIS IS THE EMAIL I GOT FROM D-LINK

Thank you for your enquiry.

D-Link is continuously working on improving the products by adding new features and releasing new drivers. However there are some limitations which do not allow us to produce a driver for the DSL-200 which will work in Mac OSX 10.5. I am sorry about the inconvenience this has cause you as an appreciated Customer.

We would also like to suggest you use Ethernet modems such as DSL-502T and DSL-504T if your computer has an Ethernet port. They offer plenty of advantages over the DSL-200.

1. NO drivers no software needed

2. Can pick up ADSL signal better as they have external power supply

3. Better internet security as they have built-in firewall

4. Support the new ADSL2/2+ standards

Best Regards,
Technical Support Engineer
D-Link Australia Pty Ltd

Wally
6th November 2007, 04:38 PM
I'll sell you one with ethernet for $10 + configuration.

rachwade
6th November 2007, 04:40 PM
How do i know if the modem is compatible with my mac? the dsl 200 box said it was but the tech support said it wasnt

Geoff3DMN
6th November 2007, 04:44 PM
The DSL200 only supports USB connections from the DSL200 to the computer and there is (to the best of my knowledge) no USB software for Apple OS X.

Tech support are correct, it is not compatible.

rachwade
6th November 2007, 04:48 PM
so what do i have to buy to get on the internet???

Mac Ram
6th November 2007, 04:55 PM
so what do i have to buy to get on the internet???

You're struggling to understand router or ethernet, so if I were you, I'd either talk to my ISP (maybe no good - depends who you're with). Or take Wally4000 up on his offer.

Wally
6th November 2007, 05:15 PM
Its a DSL-520 something I believe :)

and it has Ethernet