PDA

View Full Version : New Macbooks and Photography

mestevie
5th November 2007, 09:18 PM
hi all,

hopefully i can get some advice from you all.

I am thinking of buying a new apple lappy and need something that can handle a DSLR workflow. I am not sure whether the macbook will handle large RAW files as well as a macbook pro. Can people please advise if the macbookpro midrange will run aperture and handle large photo files any faster than a top end macbook?

Thanks

sectioneight
5th November 2007, 09:32 PM
I have a 2.16 macbook pro with 1.5GB ram (base model Nov '06)- I've never had speed issues with aperture or lightroom handling RAW files or performance in general

wouldn't CPU power be the major factor in handling RAW files?

mac_man_luke
5th November 2007, 09:42 PM
I run aperture on my RevA macbook (2GB ram, 250GB 5400RPM HD), its acceptable - main limiting factor is the graphics card which aperture relies on heavily

The newest revision macbooks have a far better graphics card but its still integrated and uses system memory - would be acceptable but MBP would be better

Phase
5th November 2007, 09:43 PM
The main bottle neck will be RAM and hard drive space / spin speed.

I'm doing all of my pro DSLR work from an MBP at the moment, and I'm getting by ok.

I wouldn't like to do it from a Macbook however, for the combination of the lack of appreciable video card / Glossy only screen coating.

mac_man_luke
5th November 2007, 09:48 PM
i would never use a laptop screen for colour work, they just suck

Lutze
5th November 2007, 09:48 PM
I'm using aperture on my Core Duo 2ghz iMac - the newer Macbooks have a Core2Duo cpu, the only downfall is in that they don't come with a proper dedicated GPU - they share the system RAM. However I'd guess that a newer C2D Macbook with 2 or 4gb of RAM should be able to handle it.

I know that Aperture does say (http://www.apple.com/au/aperture/specs/) that it will run on a Macbook.

I should add.. I'm using 13.5mb RAW images in / on Aperture.

Phase
5th November 2007, 09:52 PM
I would seriously consider the mid range, or even lower range MBP,
but also set aside some money for a half decent external monitor.

With the exception of the new LED MBP's, most notebooks suffer from pretty significant light fall off and the inability to represent as many colours as they should. So closed-lid mode an MBP, or look at an iMac

SilverJ
5th November 2007, 09:54 PM
I'd suggest using a MBP and connecting it to an external monitor if funds permit.
Also, invest in a color spyder calibrator, I have everything I have mentioned in this thread and love it.
Adobe Lightroom is also fantastic for working with RAW.

Currawong
6th November 2007, 11:47 AM
Get a MacBook Pro, 4Gb of RAM and a 200Gb 7200rpm Hitachi drive - it'll be much better for RAW handling. HD speed (after a lack of RAM) will be your bottleneck.

mestevie
6th November 2007, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I do have quite a nice monitor which i would use when i would be doing photowork. But I would like the portability of a laptop so a iMac is out (my G4 tower still has some legs I reckon).

Looks like a MBP with extra Ram and fast HDD will do it. Perhaps a refurb may be the way to go, to try and stay within budget....

Thanks again
Steve

Brains
6th November 2007, 12:18 PM
I cannot stress highly enough, all laptop screens are horribly inaccurate when it comes to displaying accurate colour. A decent colour calibrator such as the Spyder2 is an essential item for any photographer, and its band-aid solution cannot overcome the inherent limitation of a laptop LCD screen (limited to 264,000 colours, not 16.7 million) but will at least make your photos 'seem' more accurate.

B.

mac_man_luke
6th November 2007, 12:24 PM
If i calibrate my macbook display and then try to display a neutral grey - its still not quite right

It just cant do it - and the backlighting sucks