PDA

View Full Version : iBook blueooth module - upgrade

rice mac
24th February 2005, 05:51 PM
Just wondering if the current crop of 12" iBooks can have bluetooth added internally at a later date or if it has to be a CTO option ffrom Apple direct?

If it is possible would anyone be able to guess what the costs would be for the service/labour charges at an Apple service centre?

Cheers.

hawker
24th February 2005, 06:00 PM
Hi Rice Man. I believe it can be added in later.

My guess is you'd be lookin at the cost of the bluetooth module plus half an hours work, which can be anywhere from $40 to $100. Maybe if you're in Melbourne MacMate can do you a deal ;)

Edge
24th February 2005, 06:16 PM
This involves three parts (the BT module, cable and antenna.) You'll void your warranty if you try it yourself, so an Apple store is your best option. Check out this slightly confusing thread (http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t261227.html).

rice mac
24th February 2005, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the confirmation that it can be done.

Edge, (or is it The Edge??) thanks for the link to the thread. Interesting reading, but I wont be attempting this , at least it is good to know that this doesnt have to be a CTO option and can be performed at a service centre.

iluvmymactoo
24th February 2005, 08:58 PM
I too have enquired about this with Apple and they say no it cannot be done afterwards. Basically as a CTO (Customised To Order) the assembly is done in one of the Asian factories.

I spoke with several AppleCentres here in Sydney and they confirmed that it cannot be done. You must order built in BT when you order your iBook.

rice mac
25th February 2005, 05:34 PM
Now I'm confused :blink:

I'll have to ring up on Monday, but I suspect that internal bluetooth is a CTO option only and not something that can be done by a service centre here in Australia.

House
25th February 2005, 07:17 PM
i bought my 12" ibook on impulse and took 'bluetooth ready' (or similar) as having bluetooth.

i asked at 2 applecentres here in melbourne (Chadstone and Berwick) and they aren't able to get the part as an 'after-market' add-on. They can be gotten as replacement parts under warranty, which means the serial# of the ibook they're working on will be logged and must be one with bluetooth from factory. Out of curiosity i asked "What about out of warranty?"... reply: "About $175, go buy a dlink dongle"

C@Wong
25th February 2005, 07:38 PM
Or get a usb bt adapter. I know it is external and not really nice but it is cheap and handy. I bought one recently to BT-enabled my G3 iBook :P