PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Installing Tiger onto Macbook via FW Target Disk Mode...

danno74
5th November 2007, 08:15 PM
Does anyone know how to install from the Tiger DVD that is in my iMac G5, which is connected via firewire target disk mode to my Macbook (which now has an erased disk)?

I installed Leopard onto my Macbook and had loads of issues, so I erased the hard drive and tried reinstalling Tiger with an external USB2 DVD drive. Wouldn't work.

Then I found that I couldn't install anything at all with the Macbook, and I don't have the original restore CD's for it, so I have plugged my iMac G5 into the Macbook via Firewire target disk mode, and now I can see my Macbook HD on the desktop of my iMac.

I have a Tiger original install disk in the iMac - can anyone tell me how to install Tiger from this disk onto my connected Macbook?

stefanlod
5th November 2007, 08:29 PM
Umm from what I understand, you're installing from the Tiger DVD that came with your iMac G5, no?

In that case, that version of tiger is PPC only - the only way you'll be able to install Tiger onto your MacBook is by using its restore discs that are Intel version, not PowerPC. OS X has only been fully universal on one disc since Leopard.

Brains
5th November 2007, 08:34 PM
What Stefan said. Your MacBook is Intel based, your iMac is PowerPC based, the discs that came with each machine are processor specific.

If you want the same OS on both machines, you're going to need to use the disc that came with each machine on that machine -- you can't use the iMac installer to load up the MacBook and vice versa. The only way you will get a single disc which will handle both machines is to buy a copy of 10.5, because 10.4 was not available in retail form that could handle both processor types.

B.

morn
5th November 2007, 08:36 PM
There is a PPC and a intel version of OS X. That's what you are missing.
This would work with Leopard, as the whole OS is a universal binary.

danno74
5th November 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm not installing from the iMac's disk - I'm installing from a purchased full version of Tiger.

danno74
5th November 2007, 09:10 PM
Could I do a restore from my iMac's hard drive to the Macbook through Disk Utility?

Mac Aid
5th November 2007, 09:14 PM
Could I do a restore from my iMac's hard drive to the Macbook through Disk Utility?

No, you can ONLY install 10.4 from the original MacBook disks. The retail copy of 10.4, as others above have stated, is PowerPC only. This install on your G5 is PowerPC only.

Whilst PowerPC software will generally run on an intel mac under rosetta, the same does not apply to the system itself.

danno74
5th November 2007, 09:17 PM
I have some iMac Inetl Core 2 Duo Install disks from work that I brought home with me - will THEY work?

kim jong il
5th November 2007, 09:18 PM
I'm not installing from the iMac's disk - I'm installing from a purchased full version of Tiger.

The retail version of Tiger up until the release of Leopard was PPC only. The argument being that if you had an Intel Mac you had the Intel version anyway.

morn
5th November 2007, 10:33 PM
You should just get Leopard.

danno74
5th November 2007, 10:36 PM
I can't run InDesign on Leopard - it has a 'serious error'. Looks like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place thanks to freaking Adobe. :(

morn
5th November 2007, 10:41 PM
Go to an apple centre and explain your situation, you might be able to get a replacement CD if lucky.