PDA

View Full Version : time machine sux

Asher Tuzza
5th November 2007, 12:42 PM
It became obvious to me reading http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=39432&highlight=time+machine that other people also think time machine sux....

personally the way the computer slows down once an hour is just un workable

whats your beef ???

grorr76
5th November 2007, 12:46 PM
I dont know what machine your using but mine doesnt slow down I cant even tell when a backup is happening. I love time machine.

p.s just a tip im using a firewire 800 drive that could be why mine works so slick.

zbaron
5th November 2007, 12:53 PM
Firewire 800 here too and while every hour I can hear the external drive jump into action I don't notice any slow down. I'd have to say, that this behavior shows the true suckiness of USB.

Lutze
5th November 2007, 12:55 PM
I'd guess it depends a lot on a fair few factors.

The way time machine is set up it should only be backing up those files that you have changed in some way in the last hour. Unless you are working your way through massive files every hour the backup should not take that long.

I've been sneaking some fun on Warcraft and TM kicked in - I only know because the drive light started to flash. No slowdown and it didn't last long.

If you are changing your files a lot and big files at that then you may need some other kind of back up system.

iPirate
5th November 2007, 12:56 PM
Upon the topic of FW Drive enclosures... anyone know of a place I could get a FW 800 (or even 400, but 800 would be nice) for a reasonable price? As in one that I can throw in any old hard drive? When I make the upgrade to Leopard I don't want any USB 2 lag.

Lutze
5th November 2007, 01:01 PM
Upon the topic of FW Drive enclosures... anyone know of a place I could get a FW 800 (or even 400, but 800 would be nice) for a reasonable price? As in one that I can throw in any old hard drive?

It depends a lot on what you mean... I thought that I was being smart by buying an enclosure that has firewire and usb. Alas it is also only IDE. So it's now more expensive trying to get a 500gb drive than buying a whole new external drive that's the same size.

grorr76
5th November 2007, 01:23 PM
mine are sata drives and firewire 800 time machine flies. definitely not best with usb

enzoweb
5th November 2007, 01:33 PM
I've got a seagate portable usb2 connected to a Macbook Pro and the only reason I know TM is working is the little spinning icon in the Finder sidebar.

I would suspect that any backup activity would have some effect, especially if it's backing up what you're currently working on - it has to perform Read I/O which is going to have an impact. It may even perform some kind of locking / caching activity to make sure it's a read-consistent image (for example if you close a file it's trying to backup).

coljac
5th November 2007, 01:47 PM
As others have said, Time Machine is smart enough to only backup files that changed, but it's not smart enough to only save diffs for those files. So if time machines is backing up your 2GB VMWare image, then every hour it may copy 2GB across the wire. I've excluded VMs from Time Machine for this reason.

mwot
5th November 2007, 01:48 PM
slightly off-topic: can i use Time Machine on two partitions on the same external HDD? at the moment, i have only been backing up the iMac, leaving the Macbook exposed; thought i'd better see if the Macbook can take advantage of the same storage drive as well.

Currawong
5th November 2007, 02:04 PM
Make sure your bittorrent, EyeTV, Parallels HD and VMWare HD directories are in Time Machine's exclude list. If my Time Machine HD wasn't right in front of me, I wouldn't even notice the hourly back-up. I'm sure that if you didn't exclude any of the above then it would be painful.

Kuma
5th November 2007, 02:23 PM
hell Im running it on USB2.0 and Im having no problems...

I haven't noticed a thing.... (well with Time Machine) I have noticed that the TARDIS (the ext HD) is nearly full one week after installing Leopard.

I think Im going to have to get a 1 TB Firewire drive....

hewball
5th November 2007, 02:37 PM
another thing to consider
turning off spotlight searching of your time machine drive.

mine did this to me over the weekend when i setup time machine.... it soon got turned off when i worked out what was making my system hang for 2 hours

Goodbye
5th November 2007, 02:47 PM
Works perfectly for me over USB 2.0, don't even know it's doing anything :)

NORMANDY
5th November 2007, 02:50 PM
Been running time machine here for a week, via firewire and its 100% A ok, the only way I know its even running is the blue light on my lacie BIG disc start to flash, otherwise there is no slow down during games, during video renders, during anything....

mac_man_luke
5th November 2007, 02:53 PM
Never notice mine other than when i hear my external start chattering.

Seams to be space efficient if you exclude torrents/vmware etc

Hamsmyth
5th November 2007, 02:57 PM
Internal TM drive backup here. No slowdown or anything. I can't even tell when it happens. Total set and forget - I love it.

icant
5th November 2007, 03:00 PM
I use a 2.5" laptop HD. Cos it was what I had available. It's good. Drive shuts down when disconnected.

(2nd backup to external 3.5" hard drive.)

Couple of annoying things:
1. Having to eject the drive before disconnecting it.
2. Today, I couldn't eject the drive cos "it was in use". I was in a rush, and unplugged it anyway. Man, these computers getting a bit uppity.
3. You don't really know the backup is any good: unlike a SuperDuper backup, which you can boot from and browse. I would be nervous to format my HD just to test if I could restore from TM. Apparently it takes quite a bit of time too.

Some of these would be solved if I backed up over a network I suppose, which is my next step.

Using FW400. FW800 in my experience is faster. Although I also like it because the connector is plastic with protrusions on the topside. So I don't usually have to look at the connector to figure out that it's the right way round.

dt
5th November 2007, 03:12 PM
Never notice mine other than when i hear my external start chattering.

Seams to be space efficient if you exclude torrents/vmware etc

Yeah, TM really sucks with Parallels running. It copies over GBs of data each hour. I do actually notice it slowing my MBP down and if a song is playing in iTunes it gets jumpy.

Looks like I will have to exclude my Parallels folder and risk losing my VMs..

chrisede
5th November 2007, 03:38 PM
I just thought I'd post here, since it references my thread.

For what it does, I loved Time Machine. It took the work away from me, and was very easy to use. I don't think it sucks at all (for my uses). And my computer never slowed down either. And I'm using a 500GB USB HDD.

And I don't blame Time Machine for my not being able to delete those 2 files in the trash. They're essential files the system needs. It was just the permissions stopping me. Totally logical, and not Time Machine's fault.

So don't base your opinion around something that I never said. I'll have to start calling you Herald, or something.

dlmuller
5th November 2007, 03:50 PM
Upon the topic of FW Drive enclosures... anyone know of a place I could get a FW 800 (or even 400, but 800 would be nice) for a reasonable price? As in one that I can throw in any old hard drive? When I make the upgrade to Leopard I don't want any USB 2 lag.

I got a pleiades FW800/400/USB2 enclosure from nexus for $159. Works a treat with TM.

ozboi
5th November 2007, 04:01 PM

There's nothing stopping you from manually backing them up separately.

The Fluffy Duck
5th November 2007, 04:06 PM
Its shit becasue they took out what wold have made it fantastic. Airport extreme backup and network backups. Congrats apple your a pack of douches

forgie
5th November 2007, 04:10 PM
Its shit becasue they took out what wold have made it fantastic. Airport extreme backup and network backups. Congrats apple your a pack of douches
I reckon (well actually I hope) that Apple will release a firmware update for the AE that will make the airdisk not suck.... if and when they do that, TM will work with the Airdisk.

smzhang
5th November 2007, 04:14 PM
how big an external should i get if i wanna back up my 250 gig macbook hdd? TimeMachine backups copies of the same file yea? so does that mean i need more than 250 gigs?

Quamen
5th November 2007, 04:16 PM
how big an external should i get if i wanna back up my 250 gig macbook hdd? TimeMachine backups copies of the same file yea? so does that mean i need more than 250 gigs?

I would say you want double at the minimum. But it really depends on how big your files are and how often you change them.

zeddie2001
5th November 2007, 05:11 PM
slightly off-topic: can i use Time Machine on two partitions on the same external HDD? at the moment, i have only been backing up the iMac, leaving the Macbook exposed; thought i'd better see if the Macbook can take advantage of the same storage drive as well.

That should work - time machine sees the partitions as separate drives, so I don't see why not.

Currawong
5th November 2007, 06:05 PM
Since the 31st, I've used about 70Gb in Time Machine and have 100Gb on my hard disk. Parallels and VMWare images, along with some other files are excluded though. I'd say a drive of about the same size at least, but noting that 500Gb drives are cheap now. You can always partition a drive if needed.

Dubhousing
5th November 2007, 06:08 PM
Time Machine's already saved my bacon - thumbs up from me!

mjankor
5th November 2007, 06:29 PM
TIme machine is awesome. We never even notice it's running.

sendai
5th November 2007, 06:31 PM
Its shit becasue they took out what wold have made it fantastic. Airport extreme backup and network backups. Congrats apple your a pack of douchesNetwork backups(over AFP or netatalk,) work a treat...

Galumay
5th November 2007, 07:54 PM

i hardly ever use parallels, which is the folder to exclude? is it the one in HD/library

cheers

mjankor
5th November 2007, 08:45 PM
Sweet, they should have called it TARDIS. I just tallied up the sizes of all my folders on my 80GB external. Now, it won't give me sizes on a lot of the folders, due, I suspect to all the multilinking, but just from browsing them I'd estimate I've got about 500Gb on my 80GB drive. Tis magic I tell ye.