PDA

View Full Version : New Powerbook G4's good value?

chako012
24th February 2005, 01:25 PM
With the G4's now currently at such good value is it really worth waiting for the G5 powerbooks?
Give me your opinions

iSlayer
24th February 2005, 01:27 PM
well no one has any real idea when g5 powerbooks will be released.
i say get a current model

Benjamin
24th February 2005, 01:35 PM
get a current model
g5 powerbooks wont be around for a while

Exocet
24th February 2005, 09:28 PM
Current Model.

964RSCS
24th February 2005, 09:44 PM
Current model is great. It has good reviews etc for a reason...

There will always be something newer/faster/better (depending on opinion) so no point torturing yourself over a newer model. If you need one now, just buy it, you won't regret buying a G4.

gmask1
24th February 2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by 964RSCS@Feb 24 2005, 09:44 PM
Current model is great. It has good reviews etc for a reason...

There will always be something newer/faster/better (depending on opinion) so no point torturing yourself over a newer model. If you need one now, just buy it, you won't regret buying a G4.
What he said. The eternal computer dilemma is whether to wait or not! With the disclaimer that things might change tomorrow, I think that the new line of G4 powerbooks constitutes the best that you will see this side of September or October 2005.

Noting that most of the new features that have been added to the current line are evolutionary, it goes to show that the powerbook line have been an outstanding buy for quite some time. My biggest beef with the laptop lines has been the gpu rather than the cpu, and the new powerbooks have fixed that up nicely. A G5 cpu would be nice, but hardly necessary for me!

foonster
24th February 2005, 10:22 PM
As good as Apple Computer are for an integrated hardware/software maker, they're not perfect. And like many other manufacturers' products, the first revision of a model is likely to have problems that may not get ironed out until the second revision. In recent years, the few products that I think Apple got right the first time include the iSight, iMac G5, and possibly the Mac mini and iPod shuffle. Time will tell if the last two are really instant classics.

So in conclusion, I think the current PowerBooks and also iBooks are a mature design, and should provide excellent performance for a couple of years whilst new PowerBook G5s are designed and tweaked.

Atomac
24th February 2005, 11:27 PM
Well...you could wait for the G5 PBs or you could have fun now. I know which I'd choose. Besides which the G4 will actually out perform the G5 in some tests at the moment, so they are really no slouch. As pointed out above the Rev A models are usually a little buggy and are usually superceded by a vastly better model shortly afterwards with a price drop. If you wait for the G5 you may as well wait for the Rev B. and that could be 12 - 24 months away.

Currawong
25th February 2005, 02:26 PM
I think that even if a G5 Powerbook comes out, all you'll really get is a faster front-side bus speed. The processor speeds will probably equal what's available now to begin with. Considering that the amount of RAM and the HD speed is equally important, you wont miss out on much getting a Powerbook now - the "Albook" series are destined to become classic models, so the resale value should be quite high in the future too.

hawker
25th February 2005, 04:11 PM
Current line for sure, it's such good value.