PDA

View Full Version : extermal monitor & macbook pro

HZ-GTS
2nd November 2007, 05:18 PM
Hey guys, basically while i am at home situated at my desk ... i want to just plug my mbp into an external keyboard and monitor ... now, can u close the mbp lid, without it going into sleep mode, or is this an unadvisable thing todo due to heat issues.
is there a way to make the mbp screen black while i just run the external monitor?

Huy
2nd November 2007, 05:33 PM
Yes you can.
Close the lid, then both external and laptop screens will go to sleep.
Wake it up using an external keyboard or mouse, then you'll be operating the computer using only the external monitor (internal screen off).

It should be fine.

Phase
2nd November 2007, 05:43 PM
That's how I've run my MBP since getting my 30"

It's designed to work in lid closed mode.

and makes things like spaces not insanely stupid :)

Brains
2nd November 2007, 06:14 PM
it is what Apple refer to as 'Presentation Mode', sometimes 'Clamshell Mode'. Huy got the actions right, but left out one important step -- the laptop must be connected to external power. Apple's official procedure also says you should put the laptop to sleep manually (ie, not by closing the lid) before closing the lid and connecting your external display.

Apple also go on to say that laptops in clamshell mode should not be run in this manner for extended periods. Once you have the laptop running with your external display as the main monitor, you can open the lid of the laptop slightly to improve airflow -- the internal screen will remain dark and inactive if you do this, although if the machine goes to sleep and you wake it again, the internal screen will light up and become the secondary display.

Brains