PDA

View Full Version : iStat menus 1.2 released

iSlayer
1st November 2007, 05:23 PM
http://islayer.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/istat_menus_1_2_500.jpg

We've been busy adding some highly anticipated features over the last couple of months and now we're finally ready to unleash the latest incarnation of iStat menus... version 1.2 (dun dun daaah!).

iStat menus 1.2 major new features

Processes monitoring
Users can now monitor which processes are using the most CPU.

Enhanced Date & Time
A completely customisable format selector gives you complete control over the clock display, including a choice of 5 new calendar icons. An additional "Blaqua" skin is available for Mac OS X 10.5 users.

Enhanced bandwidth monitoring
You can now view bandwidth graphs for each interface in the dropdown aswell as choose the data format (bit or byte based).

Better temperature and fan support
Better support for temperature sensors in G4 PowerBooks, the latest iMacs and Intel based Xserves. Better fan support for G4 PowerBooks and iBooks. S.M.A.R.T. capable hard drive temperatures can now be shown in the menubar and shown or hidden in the menu dropdown.

Disk performance monitor
The drives dropdown menu now includes a disk activity graph that lets you monitor disk performance over time.

Realtime timer sliders
All the sliders that determine how frequently each menu extra updates now react as they're moved.

The complete list of changes

Added additional icon designs for menubar icon in date & time extra
Added pie graph mode to memory extra
Added option to show bandwidth graphs in network dropdown
Added option to show disk activity graph in disks dropdown
Added ability to choose which S.M.A.R.T. drives are shown in the temperature dropdown
Added ability to select a S.M.A.R.T. sensor as the primary temperature sensor
Added process monitoring to cpu extra
Added new menubar clock format selector
Fixed bug with stale network shares in disks extra
Added data format selector for network extra (allows you to change display to bits and also display values below 1KB)
Fixed bug with menubar display in temperature extra
Fixed bug with 'Use black graphs..." option in memory extra menubar display
Fixed timezone change bug in Date & Time extra
Added support for Powerbook temperature sensors that previously were stuck on 1 value
Improved support for fans on iBooks and Powerbooks
Added ability to change disk activity arrow colors
Added ability to change menubar clock text color
Added font size option for clock text
Updated menubar graph width for network extra (now matches cpu extra)
Added option to show GMT offset in world clock display
Added option to hide U:/F: labels in used/free mode in disks extra
Added option to hide U:/F: labels in used/free mode in memory extra
Added option to use our "Blaqua" skin in the date & time extra for 10.5 users
Reduced memory usage (around 40% overall)
Updated Intel sensors module
Added support for new iMac sensors and Intel XServe sensors
Menubar text/graph turns grey in network extra if no network connection is found(user requested)
Improved dropdown appearance in 10.5
Replaced Internet Connect button with Network Preferences button in network extra for 10.5 users
Fixed bug with timezone changes and Date & Time extra
Fixed bug with 12am display on 24 hour clock
Timer text in pref pane now updates constantly during slider adjustments

Get it now (http://islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=28)

Disko
1st November 2007, 05:28 PM
Splendid old bean. Just splendid.

zeddie2001
1st November 2007, 05:40 PM
Well, I'm even more impressed that I found out you're a bean :p

Looks great!

Galumay
1st November 2007, 05:41 PM
well done guys, i am loving the latest version, looks great with the transparent menu bar if you choose the colours and desktop image carefully!

Galumay
1st November 2007, 05:44 PM
Well, I'm even more impressed that I found out you're a bean :p

Looks great!

better than being a 'has bean' ;P

decryption
1st November 2007, 05:59 PM
Awesome!
Thanks dudes - iStat Menus is indispensable to me.

epaell
1st November 2007, 07:17 PM
Absolutely Awesome (he says while dragging MenuCalendarClock into Trash :-) ).

shiny
1st November 2007, 07:24 PM
The new release is great, but my calendar is still white and not black like in the pics, I have checked the 'use black graphs options' and re-installed it, anything else?

Galumay
1st November 2007, 07:27 PM
The new release is great, but my calendar is still white and not black like in the pics, I have checked the 'use black graphs options' and re-installed it, anything else?

you need to select the iStat blaqua option in the time & date pane in system preferences.

grfxninja
1st November 2007, 07:30 PM
Love the new blaqua theme on the calendar menu

Great job as always guys :thumbup:

shiny
1st November 2007, 07:32 PM
you need to select the iStat blaqua option in the time & date pane in system preferences.

Hmmm that option is greyed out for me :confused:

iSlayer
1st November 2007, 07:34 PM
You need to be running 10.5 to use the blaqua skin on Date & Time

shiny
1st November 2007, 07:55 PM
You need to be running 10.5 to use the blaqua skin on Date & Time

Thanks iSlayer, I am not going mad then :)

Kirium
1st November 2007, 08:24 PM
Is there a battery status monitor somewhere that my woeful eyes can't see, or has that yet to be implemented??

Sorry if that's been covered in the past. This is my first go at using Menus. I've been an iStat pro user up until now...

iSlayer
1st November 2007, 08:26 PM
No battery monitor yet. Maybe in the future

Kirium
1st November 2007, 08:30 PM
Ok. Thanks. :thumbup:

I'll keep the widget for a bit longer yet. :)

agraboso
2nd November 2007, 03:51 AM
My biggest complain and the reason I have not been using iStat menus but MenuCalendarClock for a while was that it was impossible to navigate between months in the calendar drop-down. This time the screenshot shows two little arrows that allow you to do just that. Except I'm still on Tiger and this feature seems to be missing... Did you guys make this a Leopard-only feature?

mgor
2nd November 2007, 04:14 AM
Great work, though date & time dosen't work with a 24-hour clock (even though it's checked) and it still shows PM/AM (even though it's unchecked).

Nevermind, i'm just stupid :-P That was for the world clock.

Galumay
2nd November 2007, 06:26 AM
....This time the screenshot shows two little arrows that allow you to do just that. Except I'm still on Tiger and this feature seems to be missing... Did you guys make this a Leopard-only feature?

yes, its one of the features that can only work on Leopard!

marc
2nd November 2007, 01:28 PM
Leopard will allow us to do some more cool things. Stay tuned for version 1.3 ;)

forgie
2nd November 2007, 08:47 PM
The pie-chart view of memory seems to have a slightly strange rendering on my Tiger system - it looks like a proper circle, but the left side is cropped by a pixel or so. Also, it looks quite strange when the border is black - like the rendering isn't happening exactly how it should.

Apart from that, it looks great! Good work guys!

iSlayer
2nd November 2007, 09:01 PM
could you post a screenshot of that issue please forgie

BigAl
2nd November 2007, 09:21 PM
My iStat Menu Clock display is stuck on 10.22PM It was working fine all day and then it just stopped. Actually jumped forward in time at about 9.45/10.00pm because now it's only 10.21pm.

Anyone else have this issue?
Any help?
Cheers!
BigAl

Great product, it's awesome!

forgie
2nd November 2007, 09:31 PM
iSlayer:

http://www.ecr.unimelb.edu.au/~nsforge/iStat_Menus_rendering_issue.png

I think the wierdness with having a black border comes from the fact that the extremities of the circle result in little "knobbly bits" on the compass points. I don't know if you can change the dimensions of the circle in small enough units to change this or not.

The "left hand side" issue is clearly visible - it looks like the image was cropped by 1 column.

edit: Just thought I'd add that the new graphics for the calendar icon are great - I love the red one. :thumbup:

tcn33
3rd November 2007, 10:11 PM
I've just had the 1.2 update reminder show up - for the second time. I already downloaded and updated. What the?

Galumay
3rd November 2007, 10:18 PM
yep, i got that too!!

iSlayer
3rd November 2007, 10:46 PM
If it happens again let me know what version number it says for current version and new version

byjimini
3rd November 2007, 11:21 PM
The clock seems to be broken; the time works, but it won't go into 24 hour mode when checked and it shows the am/pm even when unchecked

tcn33
4th November 2007, 12:12 AM
If it happens again let me know what version number it says for current version and new version

1.1 for old, 1.2 for new.

edit: Here you go.

http://myskitch.com/toby/picture_1-20071104-011740.jpg

iSlayer
4th November 2007, 07:16 AM
ah i see. You still have the 1.2 beta which identifies itself as 1.1. Download the 1.2 release from our site and it should be good after that

Galumay
4th November 2007, 07:24 AM
ah ha...that clears it up for me too - i would have been runnng the beta as well.

tcn33
4th November 2007, 08:05 AM
Yep, all good now :thumbup:

irtesev
5th November 2007, 01:27 AM
Hey, the CPU portion of iStat Menus still looks weird.

http://tesev.net/spotlight/menustuf.gif

Yea I recycled that image but it looks exactly the same; the CPU breakdown is still backwards!!

Other than that this new release is almost perfect!!

marc
5th November 2007, 02:04 AM
Backwards in that our graph shows system CPU on top with user CPU underneath? Or backwards in another way?

We probably should follow the way our drop down menu and activity monitor read... user, system, nice (idle will have to be the blank portion at the top).

irtesev
5th November 2007, 05:48 AM
Backwards in that our graph shows system CPU on top with user CPU underneath? Or backwards in another way?
We probably should follow the way our drop down menu and activity monitor read... user, system, nice...

Yeah, thats the way I always thought it was supposed to be. Its the way the Activity Monitor and Menu Meters has done it. Also, you don't have to squint your eyes in order to see if you have a little bit of System or Nice breakdowns on the top like ice peaks or something...
...cause I much prefer squinting to see if it's at the bottom of the graph :)

...(idle will have to be the blank portion at the top).

Well, yeah I would think so.

D14852001neko
8th November 2007, 02:58 AM
I still don't get it, since when does Mexico is part of South America, and since when the US is the only country in America?

America is a continent, not a country.

Canada + US + Mexico = North America

Shov
8th November 2007, 08:13 PM
Hi there,

just a small niggle. the network display still shows KB/s even when the bytes/kilobytes/megabytes option is ticked.

cheers,
shov

iSlayer
8th November 2007, 08:18 PM
Do you mean its not showing values below 1KB with that option selected ?
Whch ones of the values is it happening with? (menubar text, current bandwidth in dropdown, total bandwidth in dropdown)

2Mac
16th November 2007, 08:49 PM
Hello,

since i'v installed 10.5 on my MacBook the iStat menu cannot start modules.

"iStat menus could not load the cpu extra"

and console print

16.11.07 11:44:44 SystemUIServer[302] failed to load Menu Extra: NSBundle </Users/heinze/Library/Application Support/iStat menus/Extras/MenuCracker.menu> (not yet loaded)

This is only since i installed the update from 1.1 to 1.2 under 10.5.
On my home iMac i installed the 1.2 before installing 10.5 and everything works fine.

Any ideas, what i can do?

I'v allready tried to uninstall and fresh install.
But the problem stil resists.

PimPamPet
17th November 2007, 08:52 PM
Hello people! My first post here.

I love the possibilities of iStat menu and I want to use it whenever I can. Only difficult thing is when I restart or log out, all menu items are gone. I have to go into sys prefs and activate them again. Colors are still good from that point on, but they don't load when restarting or loggin out/back in.

I'm running 10.5.1 on a 2.8 24" iMac alu and no other apps or thingies in the menubar. ;)

forgie
17th November 2007, 09:10 PM
The RAM drop-down menu has a "1-pixel off" type of glitch on the right hand side of the graph that makes it look like the last "reading" has made all the readings drop. It looks like the top-right corner of some of those lines is 1 pixel to the left of where it should be.
http://www.ecr.unimelb.edu.au/~nsforge/iStat_menus_RAM_glitch.jpg
BTW, keep up the good work, guys! I hope you don't mind me picking on the "pixel level" stuff...

leafmuncher
21st November 2007, 09:26 AM
I'm running OS X 10.5.1, and the top 5 CPU-hogging processes aren't correct, and show up with 0.0% of the CPU.
It would be great to be able to kill one of those processes with a click (and maybe Apple-click for force kill.
It would be great to display the top five memory-hogging processes as well, and as a bonus allow killing or restarting the processes with a single click.

Most excellent applet!!!!

-elan

marc
21st November 2007, 09:34 AM
BTW, keep up the good work, guys! I hope you don't mind me picking on the "pixel level" stuff...
Not at all. We really want to make all our apps and widgets as sharp as possible, so still like this is crucial. Very hard to catch all the small things in testing.

I'm running OS X 10.5.1, and the top 5 CPU-hogging processes aren't correct, and show up with 0.0% of the CPU.
It would be great to be able to kill one of those processes with a click (and maybe Apple-click for force kill.
It would be great to display the top five memory-hogging processes as well, and as a bonus allow killing or restarting the processes with a single click.

Thanks. We'll look into the bugs. Not sure we'll allow killing of tasks... might be a bit too risky. We do allow you to open Activity Monitor though, so killing things should be easy.

Top 5 memory hogs is coming soon ;)

iSlayer
21st November 2007, 09:38 AM

Thats probably a permissions issue. Try running the installer again and make sure you authenticate it when asked.

leafmuncher
24th November 2007, 04:59 AM
Thats probably a permissions issue. Try running the installer again and make sure you authenticate it when asked.

That didn't fix my problem. It shows the total amount of CPU usage, but not for the top 5 (and the top 5 don't make sense).

Here's a picture:

http://bluemandrill.com/public/istat.png

-elan

|2uso
28th November 2007, 04:12 AM
Hello people! My first post here.

I love the possibilities of iStat menu and I want to use it whenever I can. Only difficult thing is when I restart or log out, all menu items are gone. I have to go into sys prefs and activate them again. Colors are still good from that point on, but they don't load when restarting or loggin out/back in.

I'm running 10.5.1 on a 2.8 24" iMac alu and no other apps or thingies in the menubar. ;)
Almost the same here: My first post so WHAAASAAAP!! :P, I fallen in love with this app because I need to be always informed about my system's stats and MenuMeters is out of development (or at least it appears so) and not to say "out of look" too ;) AND, sadly for us, the pretty menus doesn't still there once you've logged out or restarted the Mac :confused:

I'm running 10.5.1 on a MacBook Pro CD 2.0 Ghz and I'm planning to replace MenuMeters in my G5 1.8 Mhz uniproccessor too

Thanks for this tiny GREAT application!!!!!

P.S.: I'm running disk utility right now, fixing permissions and stuff. I'm looking for errors at the console and doing all I can do to fix this behavior at the time of writing this so if I find something I'll keep you posted. Please, first to solve, first to post... Thx in advance

<edit>
Don't ask how, but doing all I said I'll do and the problem disappeared. The only thing I did different was restart instead of log out.
</edit>

rmac
11th January 2008, 05:28 PM
hey iSlayer

where are the Date & Time calendar icons located? application support folder? inside the .prefpane?

i would like to make my own graphite calendar icon if i may? to match my graphite highlight colour.

thanks

brightner
13th January 2008, 12:15 AM
Hi there,

just a small niggle. the network display still shows KB/s even when the bytes/kilobytes/megabytes option is ticked.

cheers,
shov

Do you mean its not showing values below 1KB with that option selected ?
Whch ones of the values is it happening with? (menubar text, current bandwidth in dropdown, total bandwidth in dropdown)

Hello.

I put MenuMeters' network meters right beside the iStat menu's:

http://img228.imagevenue.com/loc170/th_46176_mm1_122_170lo.jpg
MenuMeters displays bytes, iStat menus don't, even with the bytes/kilobytes/megabytes option checked.

http://img192.imagevenue.com/loc370/th_46177_mm2_122_370lo.jpg
MenuMeters displays the traffic with one decimal place. A feature I like. (I know the discrepancy in the values comes from the different measuring time intervals)

As soon as iStat menus get those two features, I can finally trash MenuMeters :)

Next would be the Temps and Fans Menu vs. smcFanControl (http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/software/smcfancontrol2/index.html), where I can actually set the fan speed…

third wish (taken from a comment in your blog (http://islayer.com/blog/?p=229)):

On November 10th, 2007 at 11:57 am, Paul wrote:
ideas:
— Clicking on the drive icon opens it in finder.
— A small eject button for each ejectable drive, just like in finder’s sidebar.

thanks!

iSlayer
13th January 2008, 04:02 PM
MenuMeters displays bytes, iStat menus don't, even with the bytes/kilobytes/megabytes option checked.

Will make sure thats fixed.

MenuMeters displays the traffic with one decimal place. A feature I like.

Will add that to the list.

Next would be the Temps and Fans Menu vs. smcFanControl (http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eidac/software/smcfancontrol2/index.html), where I can actually set the fan speed…

Might happen oneday :)

third wish (taken from a comment in your blog (http://islayer.com/blog/?p=229)):

I think clicking on the disk icon will open the drive in finder but only in 10.5. Eject icons may happen at some point aswell

kaz219
16th January 2008, 11:26 PM

Most excellent applet!!!!

-elan

Same here on a MacBook with 10.5.1.

It shows 5 processes with 0.0% each. One of them at least doesn't even exist: "perl". I had a script running and using almost 100% of the CPU, but not anymore.

When I uncheck and check again the "show top 5 processes" option, the same 5 processes (never changing, doesn't matter what my computer is doing) show up with "-0.0%", and a couple of seconds later they all have "0.0%" again.

Hope this helps.