PDA

View Full Version : Start at the beginning

PeterS
1st November 2007, 03:32 PM
I thought I would dip my toe in the Linux water, just out of interest sake. I have no previous experience in Unix, Linux or coding and my only Terminal experience is in using Mac OS X, altho I do not shy away from CLI.

First question. I thought the best beginner task would be to download Kubuntu. Is this OK? Or should it be plain Ubuntu?

When I go to the Internode Mirror Server page to get Kubuntu I see a number of variants [alternate, amd, etc]. What is the one I need? Is it "desktop i386 iso"? If not, which one?
<http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/releases/kubuntu/gutsy/>

Where would I find a "Kubuntu starter for Dummies" web site?

Thank

purana
1st November 2007, 03:35 PM
I thought I would dip my toe in the Linux water, just out of interest sake. I have no previous experience in Unix, Linux or coding and my only Terminal experience is in using Mac OS X, altho I do not shy away from CLI.

First question. I thought the best beginner task would be to download Kubuntu. Is this OK? Or should it be plain Ubuntu?

When I go to the Internode Mirror Server page to get Kubuntu I see a number of variants [alternate, amd, etc]. What is the one I need? Is it "desktop i386 iso"? If not, which one?
<http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/ubuntu/releases/kubuntu/gutsy/>

Where would I find a "Kubuntu starter for Dummies" web site?

Thank

I'd suggest getting on the forums over at ubuntu, so much information available on it (and the wiki pages) that those resources will cover your questions.

The difference in ISO media can also been see over at the ubuntu website.

Huy
1st November 2007, 03:40 PM
Kubuntu and Ubuntu are basically the same (from what I know) besides having KDE as the shell rather than Gnome. I prefer Gnome personally.

What kind of computer do you have?
Basically you will want the desktop version, not the server version.
Also you would probably want the standard PC version, 32-bit (which applies to Intel Macs as well such as MacBooks, MBPs, etc).

"Standard personal computer (x86 architecture, PentiumTM, CeleronTM, AthlonTM, SempronTM)"

Unless you are running a PowerPC/PPC Mac (such as a G4) or a 64-bit CPU (you would know this if you were running one).

You don't need the Sun UltraSPARC based one either, since you would know if you had one of these CPUs.

PeterS
1st November 2007, 04:05 PM
What kind of computer do you have?

Sorry, Huy, I should have said. Too much of a hurry to get the post away!

I have a Titanium Powerbook 867, G4,1 gb RAM, 10.4.10. Plenty of HDD space available.

Huy
1st November 2007, 04:40 PM
Ubuntu does not have any images for PowerPC anymore (your G4). Only the latest Intels can use them.

To install it on your machine you have to go all the way back to 6.10 Edgy Eft, because that's the only PowerPC desktop version.

In 7.04 Feisty Fawn, PowerPC support was dropped. Therefore you won't be able to run the latest (7.10 Gutsy Gibbon).

Currawong
1st November 2007, 05:12 PM
There are PowerPC images of 7.04 now last I looked, but no official support. Note that to install Ubuntu, you will be erasing everything on your hard drive.

Macyoshary
1st November 2007, 07:05 PM
I have 7.04 installed on two PowerPC machines (a g3 iMac and a g4 PowerMac) and it runs fine. There are problems with the USB ports being only recognised sometimes on the powermac, but that computer has enough other problems (which is why I scored it for free) that it probably isn't just Ubuntu. Out of interest, for a 17-inch, Core 2 Duo iMac which version should I get?