PDA

View Full Version : Could anyone tell me wassup with Appleworks?

sky
1st November 2007, 02:30 PM
hi all,
my appleworks on powerbook g4 disappeared about 6 months ago. i connected my old g3 and tranferred it accross. all was well until recently....appleworks keeps hanging up, with the black and white ball and the beachball spinning. ive tried transferring again but doesnt fix it. also tried downloading the aw update but when i go to instal it warns that it cant find appleworks6 US program .... im lost and i need to get some documents out...any ideas thanks heaps.

sky
1st November 2007, 02:39 PM
PS_ appleworks version is 6.2.4
and mac 10.4.10 (which i think was updated recently-hmmm, i wonder.....)

bushbabe
1st November 2007, 02:42 PM
Did you have the international english version or the us version of appleworks on your powerbook g4 - of the international version you will need to download the appropriate version - as to it disappearing have you done a "find" to look for it ??

Currawong
1st November 2007, 03:05 PM
Current Appleworks is 6.2.9, and when it screws up, running Tiger/Leopard cache cleaner usually fixes it. Sometimes the Mac OS X font cache becomes corrupted, which makes Appleworks very unhappy.

sky
1st November 2007, 03:22 PM
Did you have the international english version or the us version of appleworks on your powerbook g4 - of the international version you will need to download the appropriate version - as to it disappearing have you done a "find" to look for it ??

thanks, not sure how to tell. it was the version which came with my first ibook g3 from new.... because i transferred this across when i lost a.w before.

the update on apple site is .9 i think, but it does mention the US so im not too sure

ummmm,

sky
1st November 2007, 03:27 PM
Current Appleworks is 6.2.9, and when it screws up, running Tiger/Leopard cache cleaner usually fixes it. Sometimes the Mac OS X font cache becomes corrupted, which makes Appleworks very unhappy.

thanks-how do i find cache cleaner? im not very experienced on this

jonargall
1st November 2007, 03:56 PM
You could also try opening the "Disk Utility" application from /Applications/Utilities .
Then click on Disk Utility's icon for your hard disk and click the button "Repair Permissions"

I've found that this often fixes seemingly random problems.

dmg
1st November 2007, 04:53 PM
my appleworks on powerbook g4 disappeared about 6 months ago. i connected my old g3 and tranferred it accross. all was well until recently....appleworks keeps hanging up, with the black and white ball and the beachball spinning. ive tried transferring again but doesnt fix it...

The usual culprit for the "spinning beachball" problem is a Recent Items folder containing too many files. See the FAQ about this on my web site:

Why does the spinning beachball cursor appear? (http://dmgsoftware.com/appleworks/index.html#spinning_beachball_cursor_appears)

Alternatively, you can download my program, Sidekick for AppleWorks 6 (http://dmgsoftware.com/sidekick/). It has two free features which will solve this problem: Clear Recent Items and Reset AppleWorks. If clearing the recent items does not solve the problem then resetting AppleWorks should.

also tried downloading the aw update but when i go to instal it warns that it cant find appleworks6 US program

You've downloaded the updater for the North American version of AppleWorks 6. Instead, download the International English version (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/appleworks629formac.html).

Hope that helps.

Dale

Currawong
1st November 2007, 05:11 PM
thanks-how do i find cache cleaner? im not very experienced on this

Google Tiger Cache Cleaner.

Byrd
1st November 2007, 06:10 PM
Sounds like your version of Appleworks is missing a few files, and by those means refusing to update.

I do recall the program also stored some additional files in Library --> Application Support, anything in there?

You could also try booting to OS 9 and try running Appleworks from there, if lucky :)

JB

dmg
1st November 2007, 09:47 PM
Sounds like your version of Appleworks is missing a few files, and by those means refusing to update.

I do recall the program also stored some additional files in Library --> Application Support, anything in there?

AppleWorks does not store files in the Application Support folder. It stores these types of files in the ~/Documents/AppleWorks User Data folder.

To transfer AppleWorks from one Mac to another you only need to copy the "AppleWorks 6" folder and put in in the destination's /Applications folder. The only caveat is not to copy the AppleWorks 6 folder with a USB thumb drive. For some reason thumb drives corrupt the resource forks that AppleWorks uses and at least some AppleWorks documents.

Dale