PDA

View Full Version : iStat menus 1.2 beta

iSlayer
31st October 2007, 12:21 PM
http://www.islayer.com/Gallery/istatmenus/iStat_menus_1_2.jpg

As with all versions use at your own risk. We especially don't recommend using betas on mission critical systems.
This beta is exclusive to MacTalk users. Please do not share the link outside MacTalk.

Features to test:

CPU Extra
Process monitoring

Memory Extra
Pie chart mode

Drives Extra
Custom disk activity arrow colors
Disk activity graph in dropdown

Network Extra
Data format selector(allows you to switch display to bits)
Graphs in dropdown
Known issue: Network preferences button is not yet active. Please ignore this for now

Date & Time Extra
New clock format selector
Timezone change bug fixes (should properly update after system timezone changes)
Blaqua skin for 10.5 users
New calendar icons for menubar display
Font size and color options for menubar text

Temps Extra
Improved support for powerbook models that previously got stuck on a single value
Ability to select a S.M.A.R.T. sensor as the primary sensor

Fans Extra
Improved support for iBooks and Powerbooks

Get it now (http://islayer.com/download.php?id=1005&type=4)

chrism238
31st October 2007, 12:25 PM
Damn shame that it has to run in that translucent menubar ;)

marc
31st October 2007, 01:47 PM
Working ok for the people who've downloaded it?

Sambo
31st October 2007, 02:41 PM
Everything seems to be working here, the ability to type anything you want in the clock formatting is cool. Blaqua looks very nice, CPU processes and network activity graph are working perfect as well. Haven't found a fault yet, will continue playing around. ;)

applecollector
31st October 2007, 02:55 PM
Same here.
Everything seems to be working great. (PM G5)

glgray
31st October 2007, 02:58 PM
Working ok for the people who've downloaded it?

I love the new version, though I am seeing a discrepancy between what Activity Monitor is reporting and what iStat menus is reporting in the CPU menu (this is, of course, under Leopard). See the following screen shot:

http://www.esm.psu.edu/faculty/gray/misc/iStat-menus-CPU-discrepancy.png

The percentages aren't agreeing at all. Notice that, for example, iStat menus thinks that TimeSlice is using 20% whereas Activity Monitor thinks it's using about 9%.

Let me know if you need me to provide more info.

iSlayer
31st October 2007, 03:02 PM
Thats completely normal. There are various different ways you can get information about processes and we are using different one to Activity Monitor. Neither is wrong, they just do things a little differently

glgray
31st October 2007, 03:04 PM
Thats completely normal. There are various different ways you can get information about processes and we are using different one to Activity Monitor. Neither is wrong, they just do things a little differently

I can buy that, but would you please explain the difference? :) That is, what is different about what iStat menus is reporting versus what Activity Monitor is reporting?

iSlayer
31st October 2007, 03:25 PM
I can buy that, but would you please explain the difference? :) That is, what is different about what iStat menus is reporting versus what Activity Monitor is reporting?

I can't really explain the difference because i don't know exactly how Activity Monitor works. I just know there is a difference purely from the results. And i know our results are fine at the same time

Galumay
31st October 2007, 05:08 PM
very nice!! just gets better & better guys.

all works fine out of the box - as we have come to expect!

tcn33
31st October 2007, 06:03 PM
Installed, just works. No issues with the features, all work as expected. Love the date/time format selector :)

bullrout
31st October 2007, 06:08 PM
Working fine for me. iMac Core Duo.

cowzy
31st October 2007, 06:29 PM
works great!
thanks!!

iSlayer
31st October 2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks everyone. Looks like we are good to go on the public release

The Architect.mac
31st October 2007, 08:53 PM
can't seem to get 24 hour clock in the menubar... maybe im not doing it right

bluetooth menu extra is back but not recognising the wireless mouse, but istat pro is, or at least not displaying it in the menu extra

got the rear right exhaust fan now, excellent, still nor rear fan exhaust...

Rasta
31st October 2007, 08:54 PM
Great on my MDD G4 Dual 1.25 :)

step_andy
31st October 2007, 08:56 PM
Can't launch iStat pref pane - double clicking on the prefs causes System Preferences to crash.
(Installed over 1.1)

astr0b0y
31st October 2007, 09:37 PM
The custom graph colour option for the drop down sheet of the network item cannot be changed (check box is greyed) and even the the default colours shown (red & green) the graph is black on black.
Thanks for this free app - love it.

iSlayer
31st October 2007, 09:41 PM
The custom graph colour option for the drop down sheet of the network item cannot be changed (check box is greyed) and even the the default colours shown (red & green) the graph is black on black.

Will get both fixed

iSlayer
31st October 2007, 09:51 PM
step_andy's crash problem and the network bugs astr0b0y found have all been fixed.
Thanks again to all the testers.

iSlayer
31st October 2007, 09:58 PM
can't seem to get 24 hour clock in the menubar... maybe im not doing it right

bluetooth menu extra is back but not recognising the wireless mouse, but istat pro is, or at least not displaying it in the menu extra

got the rear right exhaust fan now, excellent, still nor rear fan exhaust...

oops didnt see this.
Not sure about the bt mouse issue. Mine is being detected fine but ill check it out anyway.
Fan bit sounds ok. I dont think the pb fans always run in sync so it could just be that only 1 is running maybe ?

What does the "Format:" bit say in the Date & Time preferences. The hour value should be "24" if you have it setup right

The Architect.mac
31st October 2007, 10:06 PM
not sure about bt mouse either

under cpu menu extra on the powerbook i see the spot for a second core graph, not sure if glitch...

Got the date and time sorted, that is great way of doing it, just didn't realise i had to drag the elements...

iSlayer
31st October 2007, 10:07 PM
under cpu menu extra on the powerbook i see the spot for a second core graph, not sure if glitch...

Could you post a screenshot of that one please

The Architect.mac
31st October 2007, 10:14 PM
Picture (http://members.iinet.net.au/~ben.reed/files/cpumenuextra.png)

Mod Edit: Changed the picture to a link as it was huge.

iSlayer
31st October 2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks.
Thats where the processes section is supposed to be. Do you have it enabled ?
Could you check console and see if there are any errors relating to "iStatMenusProcessServer"

kingsdesign
31st October 2007, 10:19 PM
very handy tool.

Thank you very much

Rik

The Architect.mac
31st October 2007, 10:21 PM
nothing else but stacks of this

SystemUIServer[158]: *** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver initForReadingWithData:]: data is NULL

edit for mor info

clean install, migration assistant all back from 10.4.10 archive 3 days ago just upgraded to istat menus 1.2 tonite, only other bugs is can't permissions repair in disk utility or off the dvd.. have helevetica font issue in iapps but the font is there and i can select regular after it defaults to helevetica narrow...

Peter Wells
31st October 2007, 10:28 PM
just installed...

its beautiful!

iSlayer
31st October 2007, 10:31 PM
nothing else but stacks of this

SystemUIServer[158]: *** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver initForReadingWithData:]: data is NULL

edit for mor info

clean install, migration assistant all back from 10.4.10 archive 3 days ago just upgraded to istat menus 1.2 tonite, only other bugs is can't permissions repair in disk utility or off the dvd.. have helevetica font issue in iapps but the font is there and i can select regular after it defaults to helevetica narrow...

Could you check a few things.
Does this file exist - ~/Library/Application Support/iStat menus/Helpers/iStatMenusProcessServer
And can you check in activity monitor to see if its running. If it isnt can you try launching it (it will open a terminal window but just see if it works)

The Architect.mac
31st October 2007, 10:37 PM
the file was there, not running in activity monitor, executed it and i now have processes...

cheers
no luck on the bluetooth extra even after changing batteries...

outstanding work...

iSlayer
31st October 2007, 10:38 PM
But bluetooth worked fine for you with v1.0 and v1.1 ?

The Architect.mac
31st October 2007, 10:42 PM
yep to the previous versions, i think its my end mate, i just removed some ghost devices from system bluetooth restarted the istat bluetooth extra and now have the open isync and open bluetooth preferences options which were missing as well but still no mouse in the list, she'll be right...

this will be a top release and can't wait for the app...

jdub
31st October 2007, 11:22 PM
I really like this program and uninstalled Menumeters so I could use this instead. It also saves me from having to go to Dashboard all the time. I like the ability to edit text in the date/time settings. If you could do that for all the menus it would be great.

glgray
1st November 2007, 01:38 AM
I just noticed that the top 5 processes are no longer showing up in the CPU menu. See:

http://www.esm.psu.edu/faculty/gray/misc/iStat-menus-CPU-processes-not-showing.png

They were showing up last night and all I did in between was log out and then back in.

PicoDoM
1st November 2007, 04:55 AM
the new version is working great for me on my PBook. Im very glad you took off (gave the option to) the U/F titles for the ram usage text. iStat menus has replaces two apps i used to use! Anway, minor cosmetic detail that would be nice for system consistency... how about making the prefPane menu selector area which currently has a white background the new "standard" leopard blue that the finder and itunes, etc source sections use? I think it would fill out the prefPane and make it look quite nice.

iSlayer
1st November 2007, 06:11 AM
They were showing up last night and all I did in between was log out and then back in.

My fault. Looks like a forgot to update a plist and the installer didnt copy one of the new files that launches the process server at login. Will get that sorted and put up another beta soon

iSlayer
1st November 2007, 06:17 AM
the new version is working great for me on my PBook. Im very glad you took off (gave the option to) the U/F titles for the ram usage text. iStat menus has replaces two apps i used to use! Anway, minor cosmetic detail that would be nice for system consistency... how about making the prefPane menu selector area which currently has a white background the new "standard" leopard blue that the finder and itunes, etc source sections use? I think it would fill out the prefPane and make it look quite nice.

Definitly something we will look into at some point. We wanted to make the source list blue originally but it looked ultra crap with 10.4.

iSlayer
1st November 2007, 12:01 PM
New beta is up. Fixes a bug with the pref pane, bug with custom graph colors in the network dropdown, new intel sensors module, and fixes the bug with the processes stuff not working after a restart/logout

Get it now (http://islayer.com/download.php?id=1005&type=4)

Danamania
1st November 2007, 03:26 PM
I can't remember if this worked before this beta. Stupid short term memory...

but still, at one time it didn't - the 8core's CPU temperatures and heatsink temperatures used to appear a bit mixed up with one another, and now they're better.

Other apps report two heatsink temperatures, but four CPU temps (for each of the dual-cores, across two packages - CPU A, B, C and D).

http://www.danamania.com/temp/ismtemps.png

iSlayer
1st November 2007, 05:21 PM
Sorry dana. I may have forgotten to add the extra 2 cpu's. Ill check once i've got a spare minute and get back to you

iSlayer
1st November 2007, 11:05 PM
i did forget to add those additonal cpu sensors dana. I'll send you a new version of the temperature extra when i get a chance with them added.