PDA

View Full Version : MacMini HTPC & Leopard??

Galumay
30th October 2007, 11:50 AM
i am wondering if anyone has upgraded their macmini HTPC and if so whether they ran into any issues.

specifically i was wondering how DVDassist behaves under leopard as i find it an essential fix to the issue of playing many movies on my HTPC.

marc
30th October 2007, 11:58 AM
I haven't yet, but will be upgrading today.

You'll need EyeTV 2.5, as EyeTV 2.4 had issues. Not sure about other software yet. VLC etc seem fine.

gaehl
30th October 2007, 12:07 PM
I haven't yet, but will be upgrading today.

You'll need EyeTV 2.5, as EyeTV 2.4 had issues. Not sure about other software yet. VLC etc seem fine.

EyeTV 2.5 also has issues.

Does EyeTV support Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)?

Elgato has been testing pre-release versions of OS X 10.5 for the past few months, and EyeTV 2.5 was designed to be compatible with that preliminary software.

The final version of OS X 10.5 has been released, and EyeTV is in the process of being fully tested against it. Unusual behaviors will be resolved in an update to EyeTV as appropriate. That would be a free update for EyeTV 2 users

Look to this article over the coming weeks, for the latest information about EyeTV 2.5 and OS X 10.5 (Leopard) compatibility.

Update: 10/26/2007

Some users who have already received OS X 10.5, have noticed that the Apple Remote isn’t working well with EyeTV. We’ll confirm this as soon as we fully examine the final build of OS X 10.5, but most likely we’ll need to offer a new EyeTV update soon, for this and any other issues that are found.

Update: 10/29/2007

Some users have noticed that the blue full screen Menu in EyeTV isn’t very responsive under OS X 10.5 - it may take some seconds for navigation to progress. Now that the final OS X build is out, we’ll study this and make any fixes that may be necessary.

If you notice something unusual about EyeTV 2.5 in OS X 10.5, then please let Elgato Systems Customer Support know. Thank you for your patience while we ensure that EyeTV functions properly with Leopard.

The Apple remote not working is a pain. the new frontrow is nice and faster. So I haven't used DVD assist.

Galumay
30th October 2007, 12:08 PM
thanks mark,

eyeTV is fine, i have 2.5 and i run it on my MBP not the HTPC anyway.

its really DVDassist which is the decider for me, i just thought someone might have tried already, i just havent got around to the mini yet - too much fun playing with the pussy on my other 'pooters!

purana
30th October 2007, 12:20 PM
I've put Leopard on my mini, but it's not entirely a HTPC yet, although somewhat does the task. No issues at the moment, although my biggest problem is that I wont have ADSL to pull my guide data until the exchange gets some more capacity (GRR). Will post back as I go, still need to install 2nd tuner and do a few other changes.

coljac
30th October 2007, 12:25 PM
I'm about to upgrade mine as well.

I have considerable problems with my mini HTPC as it stands, so I'm hoping for an improvement. I'll post back with my experiences.

jamesatfish
30th October 2007, 12:48 PM
i am wondering if anyone has upgraded their macmini HTPC and if so whether they ran into any issues.

I've been down the upgrade path already and bumped my minis to 10.5 already.

As others have mentioned, EyeTV 2.5 doesn't work as nicely with the Apple Remote as it did under 10.4 (ie the remote doesn't work all the time), but as I don't watch too much live TV from the Minis anyway that's no big deal.

The huge improvements are in the new Front Row - the interface is much cleaner and (at last) they've managed to make important fixes like listing TV Shows on shared iTunes libraries alphabetically rather than in random order.

I do find that Front Row under 10.4 is a better interface on TVs that don't properly handle higher resolutions - on my aging 480i plasma connected by Component the 10.5 Front Row interface is a little difficult to navigate, but on my 1080p LCD connected via DVI the 10.5 interface is a million times better. Might be worth considering if you've got an older TV connected to your Mini.

macaholic
30th October 2007, 01:01 PM
its really DVDassist which is the decider for me...

And me.

JWrigley
30th October 2007, 01:36 PM
Err, don't know if anyone is aware, but you no longer need it with Leopard.

I have tried it myself. In the 10.5 version of FrontRow, when you click/press play on the Video_TS folders, it starts up the DVD...

Neat, huh? :)

Galumay
30th October 2007, 04:02 PM
Err, don't know if anyone is aware, but you no longer need it with Leopard.

I have tried it myself. In the 10.5 version of FrontRow, when you click/press play on the Video_TS folders, it starts up the DVD...

Neat, huh? :)

WOW! it just keeps getting better!!

heather
31st October 2007, 10:37 AM
Another issue with EyeTV 2.5 is that the remote scheduling (eg. IceTV remote record) stops working.

I reported this to Elgato, and they are investigating. Also reported it to IceTV, but no response yet.

The Apple remote not working is a pain. the new frontrow is nice and faster. So I haven't used DVD assist.

purana
5th November 2007, 06:37 PM
I find the whole Apple Remote and use with the system cumbersome, seriously couldn't handle using it full time as a HTPC on a TV. It's just nuts to use. I currently use my mac mini on an 20" ACD in my office (with a keyboard).

It's working alright on Leopard. I don't use IceTV remote Record, but I should certainly begin to do so (hopefully they can fix it up).

marc
5th November 2007, 06:57 PM

EyeTV 2.5.1 has fixed this issue.

Another issue with EyeTV 2.5 is that the remote scheduling (eg. IceTV remote record) stops working.

I reported this to Elgato, and they are investigating. Also reported it to IceTV, but no response yet.
Hi Heather. We're definitely aware of the issue. I'm sorry no one responded personally to your query.

I'm running EyeTV 2.5.1 here with Leopard and IceTV Remote and it does seem to have issues, however things do seem to get scheduled to record... they just take longer than they should.

We're in the process of testing exactly what's wrong. Elgato are working on fixing the issue (as it seems to be an EyeTV and Leopard issue) and they're likely to have an updated version out soon.

Dalvin
5th November 2007, 07:08 PM
does anyone know if it's possible to browse for or link local shares for FrontRow 2.0?

Currawong
6th November 2007, 11:50 AM
I've had the opposite problem - My Miglia remote doesn't work with EyeTV 2.5, but my Apple remote does! Not a big issue though, as I don't need all the features, just the ability to fast-forward through ads.

mac_man_luke
6th November 2007, 12:02 PM
does anyone know if it's possible to browse for or link local shares for FrontRow 2.0?

Iv put an alias for my server into my movies folder and it just browses it like its a local machine

mattmac
6th November 2007, 05:22 PM
Ohh sweet :-D No more DVD assist needed!

DJY
6th November 2007, 06:09 PM
no issues here on my Mac mini!

Did have hiccups on my MBP though!

Screen sharing is now GREAT!
Makes it very easy to move files around as I use my Mac mini as HTPC

Dalvin
6th November 2007, 08:43 PM
Iv put an alias for my server into my movies folder and it just browses it like its a local machine

I didn't even think to try that, works like a treat, thanks alot!

gaehl
7th November 2007, 10:12 AM
I didn't even think to try that, works like a treat, thanks alot!

Or do what I do put a link to /Volumes in movies and get access to any drive mounted locally or over remotely.