PDA

View Full Version : sell the idea of an apple notebook to me

ETHERSPIN
23rd February 2005, 02:42 PM
my toshiba was insured and went kaput,written off, im considiring getting them 2 replace it with an apple .. i have roughly 2800 to spend on it.. the 12 inch apple laptop , 60gb hdd, 512 ram etc.. sounds cool.. what other features?? can anyone recommend ?

Byrd
23rd February 2005, 02:56 PM
There are numerous threads in this forum where PC switchers have requested information on mac notebooks and their strengths/weaknesses - suggest you search there first, and ask any specifics later!

It's just that there are many topics revolving around this topic that many users have already contributed to :D

JB

foonster
23rd February 2005, 03:36 PM
Hi Etherspin,

Like many things in life, buying a Mac is all about timing.

If you can hold off 2-4 months, the new OS X Tiger is due to be released before the mid-year. Based on current Panther offerings, you'll save yourself AU$229 (or AU$129 for EDU pricing). If you cannot wait that long, you may be still be in luck, because if Tiger is released within a few weeks of your purchase, you can usually get an upgrade for a nominal cost ~ AU$30.

Also, if you check http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ new iBooks are probably due before mid-year as well, and may have features that are adequate for your needs for a lot less than a PowerBook. In general, iBooks also offer better battery times, AirPort wireless reception and stiffer cases.

Good luck

hawker
23rd February 2005, 04:10 PM
If the powerbook does not sell itself to you, then I don't think we can help you :P

purana
23rd February 2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by hawker@Feb 23 2005, 04:10 PM
If the powerbook does not sell itself to you, then I don't think we can help you :P
bwahaha

foonster
23rd February 2005, 05:28 PM
Well, as a long time Apple user, I've never really switched and have never owned a laptop.

But here's a link to a hardcore Linux user who runs a tech web site who has recently switched to Macs and a 15" PowerBook. http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2326&p=3

And here's one that's almost two years old, but the guy did switch to a 12" PowerBook http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3946

And here are a couple more which are a year old but they switched to iBooks http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=4982

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6964

tze
23rd February 2005, 05:40 PM
Couple of key things -

Excel for Mac does not have the same shortcut keys as Windows - can make things difficult (key decisin why I have not switched)

Powerbook keys are bad. Func keys too small, arrow keys too small, combo presses to access pg up and pg down + func are too difficult. Everything else is excellent - but would love a std IBM thinkpad keyboard on it - much more sensible

gmask1
23rd February 2005, 06:58 PM
Hey there,

I'm a two week old switcher, and I did note some odds and ends in another thread. I looked at the Mac for reasons of stability, portability and usability (lot's of -ilities!). The things that sold me were:

- that contrary to my own belief, there is software for the mac, and good software at that. Everything I did on the pc has an equivalent, a port, or a specific mac edition (like office, dreamweaver, firefox, etc)
- that you can purchase a windows edition to run within a vmware styled virtual machine, if you need Windows for work.
- that the laptop is light, and thus easier to travel with than my windows machine (I do a lot of travel for work)
- that it has all the current features I wanted (dvd burning, firewire/usb, dvi, lan and modem) in a laptop. It's no slouch in the cpu, and I could increase the ram on the main banks and the gpu.

I agree that some of the keys are small, particularly when trying to use expose on the keyboard. Obviously you will need to get new versions of your commercial software to run on OSX. Off the top of my head, I can't think of many other detractors other than cost, and what you might get for the equivalent amount in the PC laptop shops.

soulman
23rd February 2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by tze@Feb 23 2005, 05:40 PM
Excel for Mac does not have the same shortcut keys as Windows - can make things difficult (key decisin why I have not switched)
They're fully customisable though: Tools->Customise->Keyboard

geektechnu
23rd February 2005, 08:33 PM
I've been using a second-hand iBook for a week now. Before then I was PC-only - now I have the best of both worlds. Felt a bit weird at first, but then I upgraded to Panther - Wow! Then I installed Max Rudberg's Tiger theme - Wow again!

If you're after a small, portable laptop, NOTHING on the pc market comes close to Apple's 12" machines when you compare raw hardware costs... and if you can afford a powerbook, nothing else looks quite as cool.

moo
23rd February 2005, 10:09 PM
both my wife and I bought Powerbooks last year and in the past 8-9 months we have had a total of one kernel panic and one problem with Mail which took about 10 minutes to fix. Since setting them up I have spent NIL time maintaining them except for those two incidents.

my two sons have PowerMacs: one 15 months old and 4 years old. Neither have required any maintenance. (And I have no tech qualifications)

my daughter has a 5 year old iMac. It works fine - but slowly - though the modem is broken and the sound out jack is dodgy. I spent 2 hours last week fixing a problem with iCal. Three years ago the hd died.

Since upgrading to OSX these machines have required next to no maintenance, they have no viruses or malware of any kind. They are used a lot, and their uptime is virtually 100%.

does that help convince you?

ETHERSPIN
24th February 2005, 10:12 AM
ok.. im pretty much sold!! if the insurance company will accept it that the replacement is apple then im getting one.. all your comments are much appreciated !!

tze
24th February 2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by soulman@Feb 23 2005, 07:13 PM
They're fully customisable though: Tools->Customise->Keyboard
Sorry - no they are not; certain keys appear to be hard coded - eg. F4 on the PC does what ctl/apple key + t does to toggle absolute references -

Just things like that can make life difficult when you work on both equally thats all

Atomac
24th February 2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by moo@Feb 23 2005, 10:09 PM
my two sons have PowerMacs: one 15 months old and 4 years old. Neither have required any maintenance. (And I have no tech qualifications)

Your two sons are pretty clever I would say - a fifteen month old with a Powerbook...and maintenance free, bonus!

:-}

Atomac
24th February 2005, 11:48 PM
I have a 12" 1.33 G4 PB and I love it. OK, I am a Mac Zealot, but this is the best computer I have ever used. I love the portability - I take it to work all the time. I love being able to effortlessly and without any further input from me, plug it into a bigger screen or a data projector. I love opening the lid when I get home and my wireless network just being there without swapping settings.

I love the Bluetooth connectivity to my phone that was built in to the OS with a 30 second set up. I love the battery life, the quick waking from sleep, the admiring glances I get.

OS X is great and it seems like it was written to run on my Powerbook!!

trinidad
24th February 2005, 11:48 PM
Err, I think Moo meant his PowerMacs were 15months and 4 years old respectively....not his sons ;)

Rayd
25th February 2005, 06:31 AM
oh lol i though he was refering to his sons ages aswell.. i was thinkin DAM a 15 month old with a powermac! he could fit inside that!