PDA

View Full Version : Putting Leopard Server on iMac G5?

rickyd
30th October 2007, 07:50 AM
Howdy,

When I get my Leopard Server sometime this week, I am wanting to install (actually upgrade from Tiger 10.4) it into an iMac G5. Is it possible to upgrade from a client machine to a server?

Assuming it will just be a local computer (on a local network) will I still be able to run things like Directory and Teams?

Thanks in advance,
Ricky.

decryption
30th October 2007, 08:11 AM
All the features will work fine, you dont' even need a network - just start the service and log into the service via localhost.

I don't think it's possible to do an upgrade from client - you'd need to do a clean install. I'd do a clean install regardless.

iSlayer
30th October 2007, 08:15 AM
You can upgrade 10.4 client to 10.4 server so an upgrade would probably work

rickyd
30th October 2007, 08:30 AM
You can upgrade 10.4 client to 10.4 server so an upgrade would probably work

Saying that - if it doens't work, do I lose everything?

rickyd
30th October 2007, 07:11 PM
Anyone??

iSlayer
30th October 2007, 07:14 PM
If something go's horribly wrong yes there would be a chance of data loss like with any OS update

mac_man_luke
30th October 2007, 07:23 PM
I had problems with directory services not working properly last time i did an upgrade from client to server

rickyd
31st October 2007, 10:19 PM
Once I do Install the Server Edition, is there any way to "downgrade" to client without doing a clean install?

Ricky.

raj
31st October 2007, 10:59 PM
Once I do Install the Server Edition, is there any way to "downgrade" to client without doing a clean install?

Ricky.

You might be able to do an "archive and install" but I don't think I'd recommend it. Just back up what you need and start fresh if you go back to client.

Currawong
1st November 2007, 12:11 AM
You cannot downgrade to client without doing at least an Archive Install, but if it lets you do that, you can still preserve users and network settings. I'm not sure if a Leopard Server disk will give you the option of upgrading a Tiger client install.