PDA

View Full Version : time machine security

enzoweb
29th October 2007, 02:12 PM
I am backing up my MB Pro to a portable external drive. If I lose this, can someone plug it into another mac and copy my stuff? There is no encryption option in TM which I'd like to see.

Linux_insidev2
29th October 2007, 02:15 PM
Good point,

Filevault is indeed, good beans.

enzoweb
29th October 2007, 02:34 PM
I started to set up filevault, but it said that since time machine was installed, I couldn't browse files in TM - the only option is to do a complete restore.

SyncMan
29th October 2007, 03:04 PM
I started to set up filevault, but it said that since time machine was installed, I couldn't browse files in TM - the only option is to do a complete restore.

Good security <> or != ease of use.

gaehl
29th October 2007, 03:06 PM
You could make an encypted dmg for time machine to use.

W9cae
29th October 2007, 03:11 PM
Also the removal of sensitive information in TM has me concerned. It might take one months of updates before files are removed. There does not seem to be a way to remove a file or directory once in TM. Great tool for the police to convict someone with information found on there computer.

enzoweb
29th October 2007, 05:28 PM
I don't see what's so hard about encrypting files while they are being backed up, then if you try and open / restore them it asks for the password. Or am I being dumb?

Currawong
29th October 2007, 05:55 PM
W9cae: If you're doing something on your computer that could lead to a conviction, you need to change your day job.

I can just imagine Apple creating an encrypted Time Machine, someone losing their main hd and forgetting their vault password, losing everything.

forgie
29th October 2007, 05:57 PM
You could make an encypted dmg for time machine to use.
Can someone verify if this is possible? If it is, then Apple have done it a pretty smart way - make it dead simple for your average user, but enable "power features" like encryption for those who need it.

semaja2
1st November 2007, 01:09 PM
So can you use a encrypted dmg?

lenman74
1st November 2007, 01:31 PM
is there a way of forcing time machine to rid itself of all copies of a deleted file?

not much point of having a secure way to empty the trash if the files can be restored via TM.

Currawong
1st November 2007, 01:42 PM
Common sense says, if there's stuff that you are going to delete that you don't want recoverable, store it in a folder that you've told Time Machine to ignore.

That being said, you can probably still set passwords on hard drives in their firmware, but off the top of my head I don't know how.

bartron
1st November 2007, 01:48 PM
is there a way of forcing time machine to rid itself of all copies of a deleted file?

not much point of having a secure way to empty the trash if the files can be restored via TM.

I think the point of time machine is for those times when you DO empty the trash and there was a file in there you didn't want deleted.

Accidental deletes happen all the time where I work....

uncyherb
1st November 2007, 02:22 PM

Maybe you should grab an external drive with thump-print technology like the ones that Lacie and others make:

LaCie d2 500GB SAFE Hard Drive FireWire 800/400/USB 2.0 with Encryption (http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=28_51_198&products_id=5402)

mac_man_luke
1st November 2007, 02:23 PM
you can just go into the folders on your time machine vault and delete the file, could be a bit of work though