PDA

View Full Version : Time Machine to the Rescue

Kuma
29th October 2007, 09:30 AM
Well I'm nominating myself for some kind of record...

After encountering numerous issues with my account in Leopard, I thought I would start again...

so instead of doing the smart thing and creating a new account and transferring everything over to there.. I did the stupid thing and deleted the whole account.

But there is time machine, currently churning away in the background restoring all my files, my info back to my account.

Upon starting it Time Machine reported that it would take 28 hours to fully copy back everything.. (not fast by any stretch of the imagination - using USB 2.0) that number quickly jumped down to 16 hours. With overnight processing I'm at 8 hours to go...

and it seems to be working a treat....

so far time machine gets :thumbup::thumbup: from me.

but it could be faster :thumbdn:

W9cae
29th October 2007, 09:48 AM
Kuma not fast but if TM does its job that will be fine by me. Nothing worse than finding out your backup dont work when needed.

iPirate
29th October 2007, 07:14 PM
but it could be faster

Get a Firewire Enclosure. That's what I am going to do for Leopard myself. USB 2.0 is too much of a turn-off.

Kuma
29th October 2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah I made a mistake when I bought this ext. HD I thought it was firewire because ... well I didnt look... it was the cheaper option...

but mission accomplished.. and unlike GWB where that statement means nothing.. my computer is fully functional and operational...

Im liking Leopard again.. (although my keyboard issue is now an apple verified bug)

Galumay
31st October 2007, 08:48 AM
yep, just used it to restore a preference pane for system preferences i had accidently deleted when i was playing around where i shouldnt have been!

it is going to be a very useful feature! it was nice to combine it with screen sharing so i could search on the 'undamaged' computer for what was missing and then go and get it back from time machine all without getting my arse out of the chair!!