PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook Keyboard "Lifting"

964RSCS
23rd February 2005, 11:39 AM
Hi all,

Perhaps a tough one to describe properly, but the keys of my PowerBook are lifting around the F9, F10, F11 keys... They are obviously all joined together, and it seems like they probably just click in or stick down below the surface of the keys. I can push down on them and they will stay stuck down for a little while, but they eventually raise up again.

In hindsight has probably been like this since I bought it a couple of months ago. My main question is would this be a simple fix that I might do myself, or have my local Apple Centre do it quickly? I don't want to be without the computer for more than a day... It all still functions without problems, just a small annoyance to be fixed if a simple operation...

Cheers

Gerard

macmate
23rd February 2005, 12:12 PM
depending on the powerbook you have some have their keyboards stuck down with glue. it is infact possible to peel the keyboard back and reglue but its a messy job. apple should cover this under warranty therefore just take it to an apple centre. if they are a decent bunch they should order it for you and allow you to take it away with you. then they will call when the part arrives and you simple take it in for replacement.

964RSCS
23rd February 2005, 12:36 PM
thanks macmate, i was hoping you might answer this one! :)

It's a 15inch G4 Superdrive...

oh, backlit keys also

macmate
23rd February 2005, 12:45 PM
i think you will find that the keyboard and the top casing is one piece. if you take is to a service centre and they say its not bad enough to swap over then maybe a little bit of fiddling may encourage the keyboard to come unstuck a little more. ;)

anyway see how it goes.

964RSCS
23rd February 2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks again, i'll take it in tomorrow