PDA

View Full Version : What's the Next Big Thing for Apple?

Velociraptors
29th March 2004, 06:36 PM
Apple's had some sudden shifts and Big Things in the last few years. The original iMac, the iPod, and the iTunes Music Store are some big changes nobody much expected a year before the fact (To me OSX doesn't count, cos it was the continuation of dozens of attempts at replacing the old OS, and finally came about... slowly!).

What do y'all think is a possibility for the next big thing? Something that'll get the world nattering about Apple as a marketing success, even a financial one if they're lucky. Any ideas are good ideas...

dana

decryption
29th March 2004, 08:27 PM
Ehhhhh, I don't know what they'd be able to do... If it's something *I* could think of, someone's already done it :P

Personally.. they could make the best PDA ever, but won't due to Jobs saying the PDA market is already overcrowded and not mature enough, or something. I'd also like to see them counter Sony's new X505 laptop, that thing is a marvel of engineering, and it if gets released in the west anytime soon, will no doubt eat into Apple's marketshare big time.

Currawong
30th March 2004, 07:55 AM
Yeah, but the Sony will cost a bomb, will look cool on the sales floor but not sell (except in Japan, where gadgets are cool), and be poorly constructed.

WarwickG71
30th March 2004, 09:14 AM
I think the digital online music 'revolution' is someplace Apple will direct a lot of energy - mostly through the iPod and iTunes Music Store. Also, if you haven't noticed, Apple is becoming a software company, so I can see them strengthening their position making perhaps cross platform iTunes, iChat, iMovie etc etc, or at least continuing to improve those particular products.

In terms of products, we'll probably just see a progression into G5 laptops, I don't see the iMacs changing much, the G5 desktops have just come out so no changes there for a while.

Tell you what though, I need to give OS 10.3 a go. 10.2 has some features that, coming from OS9, really shit me.

Disko
30th March 2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by WarwickG71@Mar 30 2004, 09:44 AM
Tell you what though, I need to give OS 10.3 a go. 10.2 has some features that, coming from OS9, really shit me.
10.3 is a huge performance increase on 10.2 - i'd highly reccomend it.

What's in store for apple in the future? Dare i say folding notebooks? Paper screens? I heard they were working on this sort of technology... but who knows.
Closer to now, i dare say that sun-java's looking glass project will find its way into macos, and mac will be hailed as the first OS with the 3d desktop, despite sun doing it first. :)

decryption
30th March 2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@Mar 30 2004, 08:55 AM
Yeah, but the Sony will cost a bomb, will look cool on the sales floor but not sell (except in Japan, where gadgets are cool), and be poorly constructed.
Well, expensive... it isn't really.. It's US$3259, imported to the USA. The 15" Powerbook isn't exactly a bargain either :P

And poorly constructed? Everything Sony I have owned (TV, VCR, optical drives) have been excellent quality.

For what the Sony X505 is, it's amazing, and well worth the money. Apple hasn't even got a product like it. Even JVC and Fujitsu do :P

So yeah, I wish Apple would make a subnotebook. All I want it for is to haul around PDF files instead of textbooks and lecture notes. Use a word processor to take notes, use the campuses wireless LAN to constantly be online for communictaions, be able to do my assignments anywhere when there is no free computers in the lab and plug in a microphone to record lectures.

Apple = education. Come on, I couldn't think of a more appropriate product for Apple to make :)

pipsqeek
30th March 2004, 06:56 PM
Sony is to the electronics world what M$ is to the IT industry, SHIAZA!

It may look great, but in reality, Sony is nothing but crap.

*Insert Saracasm here* - unlike NOKIA which have been using the same motherboards in their phones for way too long, and doing nothing mut updating the firmware and adding brighter LED's and larger video ram to increase colours. *End Sarcasm*

I saw a test with many sony products compared to other devices. In particular, their Home theater amps. They were tested against Maratz, Harmon Kardon, Pioneer etc. A 10 Hz tone signal was sent through them. The Pioneer shut down with its protection circuitry. The Maratz and HK worked and produced a fair amount of heat, but went for half an hour straight without a sign of overheating. Sony, it was glowing in the dark. Protection circuitry was fried to work, so it didn't work. the amp kept gowing...sorry glowing. :) solder melted, sparks flew, people were not impressed.

Sony walkmans are the highest selling items in the world, also the highest returned items under warranty.

I have seen more sony TV's blown up at a friends repair shop than any other brand.

They are the M$ of the electronics world.

Steve

LCGuy
30th March 2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Mar 30 2004, 06:56 PM
I saw a test with many sony products compared to other devices. In particular, their Home theater amps. They were tested against Maratz, Harmon Kardon, Pioneer etc. A 10 Hz tone signal was sent through them. The Pioneer shut down with its protection circuitry. The Maratz and HK worked and produced a fair amount of heat, but went for half an hour straight without a sign of overheating. Sony, it was glowing in the dark. Protection circuitry was fried to work, so it didn't work. the amp kept gowing...sorry glowing. :) solder melted, sparks flew, people were not impressed.
Lol, thats way too funny. Harman/Kardon does rock though. With my Dell i picked up a Harman/Kardon speaker system, with a subwoofer and 2 satelite speakers. It actually sounds better than our 1992 Sony HiFi. I dunno how, but it just seems that the H/K puts out more bass...i dunno. We've never had a problem with Sony gear though. :D

pipsqeek
30th March 2004, 09:56 PM
Harmon Kardon uses a you get what you pay for policy, like most reputable companies.

HK's don't advertise big power output like 100Watts, truth is, you can get a decent sounding, LOUD amp with 30Watts RMS.

More to the point is the speaker amp combination, as well as wiring and shielding.

I'm an audiophile. When I listen to music, both live and recorded, I pick up on some of the slightest mistakes. I also like having the music up, so I can not only hear it but feel it.

Its all about how the circuits are constructed. Seriously, the way the tracks on a PCB are layed and orientated can make a significant difference. It comes down to R&D and the time and effort taken to impliment that. Anyone can build an amp, I have once.

But the diff between HK and Sorny is like a Hand built Ferrari and a production line Suzuki Swift.

Steve

cmetom
30th March 2004, 10:03 PM
*hugs boston acoustics ba7500g set*

pipsqeek
30th March 2004, 10:17 PM
Droooool :)~

Goes and hugs Wharfedale Atlantic 400's, 200's and CENTER

Lays on custom built sub (2X 12inch Isobarik configuration) with 240W RMS custom built amp pushing the suckers. My neighbours 6 houses down know when I am watching a movie. They knock on the door...to come in and watch it too. :) Beats complaining neighbours.

Thats the best way to avoid a complaint, invite them over to participate in the noise making.

Steve

p.s. may be selling the sub, to make bigger one. 1 X 15 or 2X 15 inch. Never too much bass. I want to get the whole street moving. --*insert evil laugh*--

LCGuy
31st March 2004, 07:48 AM
*also hugs HK-395 subwoofer*

:D

Currawong
31st March 2004, 07:54 AM
Luxman CD and Amp (from when they were good), Paradigm Atoms, Van Den Hul cabling and Quart headphones here.

Time for new thread on this too.

pipsqeek
31st March 2004, 08:22 AM
I agree, the topic needs a change.

Steve

stevejay
31st March 2004, 09:26 AM
Next big thing for Apple? I'm intrigued by the rumours of a new consumer video device. I'm hoping for a 3xCCD, 120Gb HDD tapeless firewire video camera (vPod? ;) ) but it'll probably be more like those cheap, flash ram type video camer/digital camera shit heaps.

I wish Apple would make an iPod recording version with balanced XL mic/line inputs (instead of that shit, unbalanced 3.5mm girlie headphone socket rubbish) I'm sick of manufacturers poncing about, not making decent record spec machines (WTF, they're nearly all phone bandwidth and not Mac compatible), because they're scared Sony or some such will sue them into extinction, accusing them of promoting piracy. Blaming the tool or its manufacturer for piracy, or the manufacturer being to F@#$ing timid for the same reason is just stupid. I demand decent, portable digital audio recording on a firewire device for under $1k NOW!

Sorry, rant over ;)

pipsqeek
31st March 2004, 10:17 AM
And Althought I have no use for such a device. maybe I would if it were available.

Steve

Byrd
2nd April 2004, 08:25 PM
Apple have put their fingers in so many pies, it's quite hard to think of what they'll target next. They've had more misses over hits over the years, yet still keep having a crack at something else, which for a computer hardware-based company with slim market share, is pretty admirable.

To me, the next big thing could be a hybrid iPod with a relatively large colour LCD screen for image viewing, music and video playback (compatible with Quicktime and MPEG codecs - and DivX too :)). This could be plugged into a TV for large-screen viewing, visualisations during MP3 playback, and have various card slots (eg. SD/MMC) for dumping digital camera images online. Oh, and a decent recording mode as stevejay describes :)

We all know how much MP3 has had an impact on us, and with high quality movies becoming more and more common on our PCs, this could be a killer piece of kit.

Archos have made a DivX/MPG4 compatible handheld machine - but it's bulky, expensive and limited in it's functionality. Apple could do so much better.

JB

Currawong
2nd April 2004, 08:38 PM
I dunno about the next big thing, but I reckon Apple might do something 20th Anniversary, but it wont be anything like the TAM or cube, but is more likely to be something out of left field, like a brushed aluminium iPod or somesuch.

elvis
2nd April 2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by danamania@Mar 29 2004, 06:36 PM
To me OSX doesn't count, cos it was the continuation of dozens of attempts at replacing the old OS, and finally came about... slowly!
Sorry, I have to disagree there.

OSX *IS* the next big thing. OSX is bringing literally thousands (if not millions) of open source developers from BSD and Linux platforms over to Mac. OSX is bringing a solid networking platform to Mac, and along with it applications like xgrid and other clustering tools that finally push the real power of the PowerPC design.

OS9 and pre were quite honestly hopeless attempts at a user friendly shell with not much below it. BSD is tough as nails, and putting something like Aqua over the top is such a simple idea, but still pure genious.

Each revision of OSX brings something new to the table. 10.2 saw Quartz Extreme which Microsoft and Sun will still be struggling to equal with the release of their future desktops (Longhorn and Looking Glass, both due 2006 and beyond).

10.3 saw masive improvements in both client and server side network applications. Quite frankly I'm so excited at the prospect of what 10.4 will bring, every time I think about it a little bit of pee comes out.

Add to that Jobs pushing for REAL application support on Mac. No more of this "who wan'ts to write a word processor for my OS?" rubbish. Scientific, architectural, engineering and design visualisation tools, hollywood quality 2D and 3D rendering systems, clustered computing abilities for all of the above. I mean really... if it wasn't for OSX, Apple wouldn't be where it is today. Full stop.

The G4 and G5 are great processors. But if "OS 10" had been nothing but yet another lame patch on OS6 like all the others were, my money would be on Apple being bankrupt.

OSX counts, and counts in a big way. There are dozens of folks who make PowerPC workstations today. None of them hold a candle to Apple, simply for OSX. For me, the next big thing will always be how much further Jobs and his crew can push this wonderful OS.