PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 12" G4 NEXT G BROADBAND INQUIRY.

Frizzo
26th October 2007, 05:53 PM
Has anyone out there had any experience with using the next g network wireless card on a mac laptop. In my case I have a powerbook G4. Are there reception issues anyone has experienced?

Exocet
26th October 2007, 06:31 PM
Frizzo - which NextG card are you looking at? There are a number of different brands. I recommend the Sierra Aircard 875 for PCMCIA, or the Sierra Aircard 880U for USB. Both have good Mac software support, which some of the others lack.

Frizzo
26th October 2007, 07:13 PM
Exocet, Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of the Telsrta 7.2 Mobile card from Telstra that plugs into a usb socket on the laptop. Does the one you recommend do the same and does it come with the necessary software?

Exocet
26th October 2007, 07:15 PM
Certainly mate, that's the Aircard 880U - marketed by Telstra as the "Series 7 USB". Its a great device, helped a customer with one yesterday - installed the software, plugged it in, he was online :)

EDIT: You will need to download the software beforehand, it does not come on the CD. You can get the software and installation instructions here (http://www.sierrawireless.com/support/sd_acxxx_step2.aspx?ac_id=10&carrier_id=32&lang_id=1&platform_id=10).

Frizzo
26th October 2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks Exocet! I'm in Brisbane as well. Can I purchase this device from or through you? In other words can I get the same service from you as your previous customer? Do I then go to Telstra shop and open an appropriate plan.

Exocet
27th October 2007, 07:46 PM
Unfortunately no, I do technical support - not sales. You can pick the device, and the plan from any Telstra store, and if there are any issues in setting it up drop me a PM.

mikinoz
14th November 2007, 10:08 AM
What is this error Exocet?

http://gallery.mac.com/mikinoz/100074/Picture-203/web.jpg

I have used the sierra installer off the site. I have the Turbo 7 Modem. Using the defaults it is not authenticating. Do these require a user and password pair to connect to the telstra.internet ?

Exocet
14th November 2007, 10:26 AM
Try going into the profile manager, and creating a new profile with the APN of "telstra.datapack" there are no usernames or passwords.