PDA

View Full Version : The 10 things I love about my new Powerbook

gmask1
21st February 2005, 09:49 PM
Okay, I realise it's just a computer. And I'm no evangelist of any brand, make or model of computer, os, console or much of anything really. I've had my new powerbook for about a week now. And - there are a few things that have made sit stop and think 'why haven't I seen this in Windows', or 'that's a really smart way of doing it' that I wanted to just let anyone else thinking of going to a Mac/OS X in on.

I realise that some of these can be done in Windows as well; I'm really just making concious notes of my experience to date...

1. OS X tells me how long it will need to fully charge the battery - what a totally unneccessary, yet useful thing to do.
2. The apple logo on the back of the lid glows when the laptop is powered on - again, totally unneccessary, yet the first time I saw it, it reminded me of a friend telling me about something similar on the cube.
3. If I really need a windows app, I just run Virtual PC, and away I go. Yes, I bought VPC, and I won't regret it. It was the one neccessity in my purchase of a mac.
4. I can stream my iTunes library that I built on my pc onto my Mac - it's a Windows iTunes thing as well, I just saw it in a cbt course on PC/Mac networking.
5. Configuring the Airport Extreme as a main base station, and the Express as an Extender was a piece of cake with the Airport application. In fact, the whole networking experience, including setting up the ethernet and airport cards.
6. Expose. Enough has already been said on this. It'd be a total gimmick as wel, except that the windows continue to update while in the minimized state - how totally unneccessary, and totally useful.
7. The Go menu, Location submenu, and the Services submenu in the Finder bar.
8. The drop box concept, and the user level security of Unix in a desktop os - I love Unix, and being able to secure users like this is one less burden in my life.
9. The Powerbook is light. Really, really light. Mind you, that's because my work laptop is a monster widescreen Pentium 4.
10. The screen is gorgeous. Really, really clear.

And that's leaving out the new Keynote transitions, Powerbook keyboard lighting up, built in bluetooth, and whatever else I'm still discovering.

Rayd
21st February 2005, 09:57 PM
congratulations on your purchase, and just like to say welcome and i hope that your stay here at appletalk is enjoyable. also may i ask if you got the 15" or the 17" ? :)

EDIT: hey look its in your signature! nice! :) i would have had a sig... although "no images allowed" ;)

964RSCS
21st February 2005, 10:05 PM
yeah I can relate to all that!

If I can add a couple of points:

1. Everything just works!! I didn't have to download Acrobat reader, winzip, or anything else to be able to do the basic things that any computer should do
2. All the programs work together. You can easily export/import between ALL programs. Not something I could always do with windows programs
3. Installing and removing programs is very easy. also like the fact that I have to enter password to install any programs

Those are the ones of the top of my head but It all comes down to being very user friendly!

So glad i bought my PowerBook!! :D

OziMac
21st February 2005, 10:24 PM
Good for you. :)

But I'd love to know what you saw on your friend's Cube, because I really don't see any Apple logos lighting up on mine. I think that all began with the TiBook.

gmask1
21st February 2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by 964RSCS@Feb 21 2005, 10:05 PM
1. Everything just works!! I didn't have to download Acrobat reader, winzip, or anything else to be able to do the basic things that any computer should do
2. All the programs work together. You can easily export/import between ALL programs. Not something I could always do with windows programs
3. Installing and removing programs is very easy. also like the fact that I have to enter password to install any programs
These are all great points; for me, things like - it just works - and - everything plays well together - are things I simply expect. The fact is, Windows does much the same for me in that regard - perhaps I'm sufficiently experienced to be able to make it do that, as many people have apparently found the experience to be somewhat less than that. And I've downloaded or purchased a dozen or more third party apps to do basic things, though I appreciate that their are readily available options within the OS.

The thing that grabs me, that makes me sit up and take note... it's that little something extra that I never paid for; that I didn't know about. Something that isn't needed to run the system, or make it just work better. The items on the apple site are largely intangible, and often equally applicable to other os's. A power meter that is equally useful after I'm back on the mains. A network switcher that stores and retrieves settings without leaving my current application. On screen displays when I change volume or eject a cd that don't look like teletext.

And Expose... you never needed expose to be productive in the past - heck, it could have been a gimmick, an over-cooked marketing ploy. It isn't. It works, and it has a very useful place in my workflow, one I didn't know existed until I tried it.

PS. I've never seen a cube - my friend was telling me about a button or switch that glows when you go near it, or press it, or something :)

king89
21st February 2005, 10:56 PM
One extra thing I would love to add is:

apple + tab & apple + ~

This I believe is one of the greatest steps forward, I can now actually move back and forward between my programs/windows with great ease and in some cases faster then expose.

EDIT: My mistake, too many years on a MS comp, I got alt and apple mixed up.

You need to apple + tab first before you can apple + ~ to go backwards as apple + ~ actually changes the windows of the foremost application (i.e. different windows of the safari for example).

Ozi
21st February 2005, 11:01 PM
Congrats on the new comp, mate!

On a similar note, here are a lot of OSX tips. http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?s...79&hl=osx++tips (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=79&hl=osx++tips)

gmask1
21st February 2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by king89@Feb 21 2005, 10:56 PM
One extra thing I would love to add is:

alt + tab & alt + ~

This I believe is one of the greatest steps forward, I can now actually move back and forward between my programs/windows with great ease and in some cases faster then expose.
For me it's the apple/squiggle key + tab and apple/squiggle + ~

But I didn't know that this was available, and it is faster than expose (for when I'm working on the keyboard - if I'm on the mouse, expose is the better option, imho). When I'm on the mouse, I just flick to a corner to open expose, or wire it to the middle mouse button - it's totally useful in these places. But for keyboading, this is great!

What is interesting is that you can't press apple + ~ to start tabbing backwards, you have to first open the pane with apple + tab, then start going backwards or forwards. Makes sense, I suppose... :)

feeze
21st February 2005, 11:29 PM
One thing I love about OS X is the key combinations. Most of the combinations are fairly intuitive and consistent system wide. I really like how pressing the option key with the combo will do things like bypass dialog boxes etc. Very handing.

hawker
22nd February 2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by gmask1@Feb 21 2005, 10:52 PM
PS. I've never seen a cube - my friend was telling me about a button or switch that glows when you go near it, or press it, or something
When you put your computer to sleep the power button glows on and off. Does this on all Macs!

Benjamin
22nd February 2005, 08:33 AM
I want to add my own things about what I dig regarding it however I cant because I still havent got the powerbook yet.

BrickTop
22nd February 2005, 02:12 PM
cant wait till my powerbook arrives B)

careck
22nd February 2005, 02:18 PM
Yeah I also still wait for my PowerBook to arrive, I'm waiting for 3 weeks now.... and my wife doesn't let me play with her iBook :( so every morning I go here: http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=742 and drool over what could be mine if just Apple could be a bit more efficient with their supply.

Benjamin
22nd February 2005, 02:22 PM
I am getting the 17" powerbook.

Just got told hopefully thursday or friday
who wants to make a bet it doesnt come either of those days

AppleXY
22nd February 2005, 03:58 PM
I have a PowerBook 15" SD rev.c (old ones :P) and i'm over the moon with it :D

purana
22nd February 2005, 04:55 PM
I am still impressed by my pb 15" sd 1.25ghz machine.. its just so sexy :)

spargo
22nd February 2005, 08:27 PM
Ahhh, I see a few new PowerBook user members who have posted in this thread - welcome guys, hope to see you on here more in the future.. The site has plenty to offer, and is supported by a great bunch of Aussie users (and Aussies overseas who just can't seem to let go!! :lol: )

If you need any help with getting used to OSX or the machine in general - have a look through the Search section of the forums for answers/info first as there's plenty of info in there from previous posts/discussions - but if all else fails, just ask.. I think you'll find you'll get an answer soon enough.. ;) Also check out the link that Ozi (a.k.a. President of the Melbourne I Love My PowerBook Fan Club and CEO of Add a Smiley To Your Post Ltd.) posted earlier in this thread - http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?s...79&hl=osx++tips (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=79&hl=osx++tips) - there are some great links in there..

Welcome to the cult! :cmd:

adsis1
22nd February 2005, 08:44 PM
i got my new 17" powerbook yesterday :D :D after 2 weeks of waiting.....

chrismcelligott
23rd February 2005, 12:31 AM
The quality of the screens on the Powerbooks are amazing, compared to a friend's IBM craptop ofcourse :)

Dread Pirate Roberts
23rd February 2005, 04:04 AM
I ordered my new BTO 15" Powerbook 3 weeks ago ... no sign of arrival of any kind. :(

gmask1
23rd February 2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Dread Pirate Roberts@Feb 23 2005, 04:04 AM
I ordered my new BTO 15" Powerbook 3 weeks ago ... no sign of arrival of any kind. :(
Mine arrived without any notice - the retailer wasn't expecting it, nor had any advance notice been given on even an estimation.

So you might see it tomorrow, and you'd never know until the phone rang...

xiaubauu
25th February 2005, 11:06 AM
1 Thing I HATE About my Powerbook. (I know I know, I will be crucified for this)

1 BUTTON TRACKPAD!!!!!! god damn it, we live in the age where there's so much more interface necessity to have additional button to press instead of that ctrl-button thing.

The reason I hate it is because my Ctrl Button pop up after 4 weeks of usage on my powerbook. Talk about ergonomics. Hahahahha