PDA

View Full Version : Finder locks up and the OS

sikosis
21st February 2005, 04:26 PM
Hi,

I got my iMac last Thursday and then yesterday, after installing a piece of software and then rebooting, the Finder locks up as soon as it's loaded. The Finder would lock up immediately with the psychadelic spinning pin wheel and then nothing would respond, the desktop, the dock, nothing.

I went to the support site for the iMac and found an article called "Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X". In this article it says "You see an empty, blue screen. You might also see a progress indicator, which looks like a colored pinwheel or spinning disc." - I then proceeded to follow all the instructions on how to fix this issue.

From starting in safe mode (which locked up as well) to booting into single user mode and making the OS writable, renaming directories, deleting files,etc . I'd spent about 4 hours on this issue so far and I was starting to get frustrated. I even tried this - I had a blank account that I'd setup for my gf ... so I tried renaming my directory and renaming her's to my username (as the OS was automatically starting with my username) - yet, still, the Finder would continue to lock up.

So, off to the Installation Disks to reinstall the OS. I opted for the option to move the previous files saved into a directory called "Previous System". This took about 1hr to do and then I was back to an OS the same as it was before I had touched it.

Just wondering if anyone else has managed to do this ???

Rayd
21st February 2005, 05:03 PM
ram problem? try leave the orginal ram stick...

Byrd
21st February 2005, 06:23 PM
Hi sikosis,

What sort of iMac - coloured or new model?

I'd first update to 10.3.8, run a scan of your disk using Disk Utility. Try booting 10.3 off an external HD and see if the same problem happens. And as ipod_man suggested, strip your machine down to the bare minimum - single stick of RAM, no additional peripherals, and try it from there.

JB

sikosis
21st February 2005, 08:28 PM
it's a new iMac G5 1.8Ghz 1GB Ram 160HDD

I've updated to 10.3.8 ... first thing I did. Unfortunately, I don't have an external HDD, but I'm thinking about getting one ... now. ;)

Disk Utility checks out OK ... I ran the Hardware disk as well (just the short test) and everything checked out.

I'm just not game to install software that have anything to do with finder ... looks like i might have to spend a bit of time under hood :ph34r:

Currawong
22nd February 2005, 04:36 AM
What software did you install?

sikosis
22nd February 2005, 11:35 AM
whilst I'm not sure these apps are to blame ... I had just installed OSX VNC and Virtue (Desktop Manager).

Virtue I think is what might have caused it ... because it puts itself in the Finder.

http://virtuedesktops.sourceforge.net/

It was a nice app to have btw ... just dont know whether I should install it again.