PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget to de-authorize before Leopard install.

carlow1
24th October 2007, 12:16 PM
Just a reminder to all Leopard installers out there not to forget to de-authorize your iTunes purchased music on your macs before you do a clean install of Leopard. Otherwise you'll loose one of your 5 licences. :)

EDIT: I believe this is only for fresh install, not for upgrade.

morn
24th October 2007, 12:20 PM
Even if you upgrade install?

iSlayer
24th October 2007, 12:21 PM
Even if you upgrade install?

Nup will be fine if you upgrade

titan44
24th October 2007, 12:26 PM
Nice one, didn't even think of that

jeremy_warnock
24th October 2007, 12:27 PM
Good Call!!!

Dante Kyar
24th October 2007, 12:30 PM
couldnt you just de-authorise all of your computers through itunes, and then re-authorise them as you use them?

BlowMeDown
24th October 2007, 12:31 PM
I've never de-authorised my Mac before doing a clean install and have not had that problem. It's still the same computer with the same account details.

Johnny Appleseed
24th October 2007, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I assumed it used the serial no. or something...

jamesatfish
24th October 2007, 01:02 PM
I may be mistaken, but normally you don't have any problems re-authorising an existing machine in iTunes, even if you've otherwise reached your 5 machine limit.

I've re-authorised my MacBook Pro at least 20-30 times over the last 9 months or so because of clean installs or as a result of iTunes crashing and losing the authorisation data. I've never had a problem with the re-authorisation because iTunes recognises that the computer is one of the 5 already authorised machines rather than a totally new machine being authorised.

Linux_insidev2
24th October 2007, 01:44 PM
the id it uses to authorise is not your serial, my machine is dualbooting leopard and tiger and it wants me to auth leopard.

it uses a unique UUID for the machine that changes every time you reinstall - but upgrading doesn't require authorising later on.

tempestas
24th October 2007, 01:58 PM
couldnt you just de-authorise all of your computers through itunes, and then re-authorise them as you use them?
Yes but you are limited to doing that once a year. Not a good practice in general, if you can do it by other means.

SilverJ
24th October 2007, 02:03 PM
Don't forget to de-authorise your Adobe software too,
it would be a pain to re-activate your software again if you don't because they are very strict with licensing and activation.
Go to help > Deactivate