PDA

View Full Version : Powerbooks: 15" vs 17"

josh_c
21st February 2005, 01:27 PM
Ok, so I'm running down Queen St Brisbane and my 15" Tibook flies out of my back pack and you guessed it, its a write off.

A painful experience yes, but also a window of oppurtunity! I need a new PB, I'm not handling this cold turkey withdrawal very well!

I know you have all checked out the new PB's. I will be using it for tasks including word processing, lots of excel, watching DVD's, using iPhoto, photoshop and GarageBand, networking, playing games, reading/study (in bed, on the road). I would be using it mainly as a desktop replacement at home but also carrying it in a laptop backpack to uni and work.

I have used a 12" (found it a bit small), and have owned the TiBook for about a year. I love (loved) my 15", but I am liking the sound of the 17" inchers, but maybe they are a bit oversized and cumbersome? Is the 15" the ultimate size?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

iSlayer
21st February 2005, 01:29 PM
yup the 15 is the best IMHO
17 is a little big to be a portable.
i consider the 17 a desktop that can be used as a portable.
the 12 and 15 a portables that can be used as desktops.

Ronin+Scissors
21st February 2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by josh_c@Feb 21 2005, 01:27 PM
...carrying it in a laptop backpack to uni and work.

15", definitely.

-Ronin with Scissors

Disko
21st February 2005, 01:36 PM
17" is a desktop - if you're talking about Acer 17" laptops.

The Apple 17" powerbook is very portable, i've said many times that i carried mine to and from work daily on public transport with no issues at all. It's light, it's thin. The "not portable" bit is the width, but that's fine - it sits well in a backpack. :)

luztra
21st February 2005, 01:41 PM
I just made the switch from 15" PC notebook to a 15" PowerBook (still waiting!). I was seriously considering the 12" (because it so compact), but as this is a desktop replacement for me I went the 15" again - it also seems to be the most popular and I think that although the 17" is awesome, it is quite large to be carrying around (for me personally).

HTH

Cheers
Kristine

Benjamin
21st February 2005, 01:41 PM
17" all the way

yinyang
21st February 2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by josh_c@Feb 21 2005, 01:27 PM
Ok, so I'm running down Queen St Brisbane and my 15" Tibook flies out of my back pack and you guessed it, its a write off.

that makes me feel sick LOL!!!

i hope that the next pBook gets a bag that doesn't allow that to ever happen AGAIN!!

as for 15 vs 17....

i'm tempted to get a 17 next time around, just because the screen real estate would be nice to have - maybe join a gym and get those biceps and back muscles a bit more toned :D

the_OM
21st February 2005, 01:51 PM
15'' all the way

dlmuller
21st February 2005, 02:27 PM
Bummer about the TiBook, but roll on the new PB. I'd have to go with the 15". I use mine as a desktop replacement as well as travelling with work. The 17" is awesome, but when at least 50% of it's time is being carted around, the 15" makes more sense to me. Hence mine is the 15".

estoyloco
21st February 2005, 02:49 PM
For this question your better off listening to oweners opinions as people just assume its hard to lug around

17" is portable, i took mine anywhere and it fits in most bags either through their custom made pouches or buying a slimline case and placing the unit in a larger bag.

Only downside to using a 17" laptop is that you can never go back to using a smaller screen! I think that the 20" LCD's are small now that i use a 23"!

A bit off topic - Read if you can be bothered
This wasnt part of the question but i think that if your getting a $4k laptop, and you want portability and power its better to get an iMac G5 for $2149 and 12" powerbook combo $2110 or ibook 14"

Its around the same price depending on what you get and you get the best of both worlds.

Exocet
21st February 2005, 02:50 PM
17" is Lapzilla! It's far too big in my opinion to use on the go. It's good for taking between home and office, that's about it I feel :P

Also, when you DO buy it go to Infinite Systems on Charlotte st. Basically the only decent mac reseller in Brisbane.

Phillip
21st February 2005, 03:15 PM
The 17" seems very light to me - it might be a bit too wide for some people thou. If the 17" screen on the Powerbook had better resolution I would say the 17" but right now the 15" wins. Its the perfect balance.

But if IMO the 12" is the coolest. :)

hawker
21st February 2005, 04:06 PM
12" is cool, 17" is great if you have the cash!

Grab the 17" if you can, you'll love it for sure :)