PDA

View Full Version : New Versions of OS X Every 12 to 18 Months - Jobs

decryption
23rd October 2007, 10:28 AM
From the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/technology/22apple.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Im quite pleased with the pace of new operating systems every 12 to 18 months for the foreseeable future, he said. Weve put out major releases on the average of one a year, and its given us the ability to polish and polish and improve and improve.

Mmm, some people might not like having to keep up with OS updates every 12 months, but damn, I'm looking forward to it! I reckon if Microsoft said this, people would be shitting themselves.

iSlayer
23rd October 2007, 10:31 AM
Pretty much the same way its always been except for 10.5. 18 months sounds like a good interval to me.

10.0 -> 10.1 = 6 months
10.1 -> 10.2 = 11 months
10.2 -> 10.3 = 14 months
10.3 -> 10.4 = 18 months

decryption
23rd October 2007, 10:33 AM
10.4 -> 10.5 = 31 months

Interesting :)

iSlayer
23rd October 2007, 10:35 AM
10.4 -> 10.5 = 31 months

It's the biggest upgrade by far especially under the hood. You could consider 10.5 to be 11.0 imo. I expect it will be back to normal with smaller updates for the next 3 or 4 releases after 10.5

Disko
23rd October 2007, 10:36 AM
10.4 -> 10.5 = 31 months

Interesting :)Don't forget that they made 2 10.4's in that time. 10.4 PPC & 10.4.6 intel.

tcn33
23rd October 2007, 10:36 AM
You'd expect those times to stretch further, given that Apple now has even more products other than the Mac to distract them from the OS.

Of course, now most of the other products actually run the same OS - so maybe it will have the opposite effect and we'll see 10.6 at MWSF '09.

decryption
23rd October 2007, 10:44 AM
Of course, now most of the other products actually run the same OS - so maybe it will have the opposite effect and we'll see 10.6 at MWSF '09.

WWDC '08 - sneak peek of 10.6 eh?

iSlayer
23rd October 2007, 10:47 AM
WWDC '08 - sneak peak of 10.6 eh?

That's more or less a certainty for the developer side atleast. Even if its not going to ship until well into 2009 they will still have new dev bits to show at wwdc next year. Wouldnt be surprised if WWDC is a bit later next year aswell

thorevenge
23rd October 2007, 10:49 AM
Don't forget that they made 2 10.4's in that time. 10.4 PPC & 10.4.6 intel.

But according to the rumor mill an Intel version of OS X has always existed?

iSlayer
23rd October 2007, 10:51 AM
But according to the rumor mill an Intel version of OS X has always existed?

Probably but i doubt it would have been anywhere near release ready until Intel macs came along. I reckon they would have had quite alot of work to get it ready for release.

Johnny Appleseed
23rd October 2007, 10:54 AM
WWDC '08 - sneak peak of 10.6 eh?

"peek" even! (sorry)

decryption
23rd October 2007, 11:03 AM
"peek" even! (sorry)

You are correct, sir :)

morn
23rd October 2007, 03:22 PM
10.4 -> 10.5 = 31 months

Interesting :)

Jobs counts 10.4 x86 as a separate release, and it was they had to turn an experimental x86 build of it into a final product and make UB's of a bunch of standard OS apps. Actually, though hehe, with the RDF and all, the experimental x86 versions before Tiger. Jobs might have simply been refering to opendarwin. :D
BTW it is 22 months since x86 tiger was out.

alexc
23rd October 2007, 03:40 PM
Probably but i doubt it would have been anywhere near release ready until Intel macs came along. I reckon they would have had quite alot of work to get it ready for release.

Job's said they'd been building OSX and the app's in tandem with PPC all along. The early release to Developers was pretty good as I recall. Feature complete and all that. It seemed to be that it just needed extensive bug testing and updates for the new hardware it was going on. Of course ya never really know unless you are at Apple I suppose.

alexc
23rd October 2007, 03:44 PM

I wouldnt be surprised if there is no mention of it.

Job's did openly say that the release schedule for OSX was slowing down.

Surely WWDC 'O8 is going to be all about the iPhone and touch-iPod platforms.

With plenty of info on XCode 3 and what ever else is made available as a dev friendly platform - Apple-TV maybe?

So I'm betting there will be zero mention of 10.6 :D

Johnny Appleseed
23rd October 2007, 03:45 PM

On the contrary, I've read that the Intel version has kept pace with the PPC version throughout the history of OS X. Makes sense, considering NeXT came from x86 and Steve wanted OS X on Intel from the start.

morn
23rd October 2007, 03:49 PM
When steve says they've always been working on a x86 OS X we don't really know what that means :P Could be all RDF, we already knew that mach was running on x86. The entire darwin OS was released as x86 and ppc well before Tiger too.
I suspect that Tiger was probably developed with x86 release in mind from the beginning. Don't forget that the WWDC in 05 with the intel announcement occurred only a few months after Tiger was out. What we don't really know is if the GUi and cocoa were running on x86 before Tiger...
It's quite possible that they were ported to x86 only for Tiger, and by 'always on x86' Jobs meant that darwin was running on x86 even for 10.0 :)

morn
23rd October 2007, 03:49 PM
On the contrary, I've read that the Intel version has kept pace with the PPC version throughout the history of OS X. Makes sense, considering NeXT came from x86 and Steve wanted OS X on Intel from the start.

That's not the same thing as release quality.
There's a big difference between an alpha quality experimental x86 compile and something you can release.

tcn33
23rd October 2007, 03:51 PM
Correct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Intel_Transition#Precedents):

A long-rumored internal project within Apple (rumored to be called "Marklar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictional_races_in_South_Park#Marklar)"), was designed to ensure that builds of Mac OS X remained largely as portable (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-platform) as its predecessor NeXTSTEP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NeXTSTEP), so as to compile for both PowerPC and x86-class processors. Jobs confirmed this, stating that every version of OS X had in fact been compiled for Intel processors as well as PowerPC.

iSlayer
23rd October 2007, 03:52 PM
When steve says they've always been working on a x86 OS X we don't really know what that means :P Could be all RDF, we already knew that mach was running on x86. The entire darwin OS was released as x86 and ppc well before Tiger too.
I suspect that Tiger was probably developed with x86 release in mind from the beginning. Don't forget that the WWDC in 05 with the intel announcement occurred only a few months after Tiger was out. What we don't really know is if the GUi and cocoa were running on x86 before Tiger...

Yep we dont know. Im guessing just like everyone else. There is a big difference from saying something like "We have been secretly building an x86 version" to "we have been secretly building an x86 version and its feature complete and ready to ship the same day as the ppc build"

There is also the universal binary factor. Were all the secret builds able to run PPC apps or just intel compiled apps etc

Bart Smastard
23rd October 2007, 03:54 PM
Bringing out a new OS version every 12 - 18 months would make most corporate IT departments nervous.

Another factor for the What Impedes Mac in the Corporate/Educational Space discussion (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=38675)

alexc
23rd October 2007, 04:38 PM
WWhat we don't really know is if the GUi and cocoa were running on x86 before Tiger...

erm.... Yeah we do.

Cocoa came from NeXT. It's always been available on x86.

As for the GUI, well that depends what you mean. I'd take a punt and say that Quartz has always been Intel & PPC.

I've no idea about Carbon and the Finder application or Quicktime or anythings else. Who knows what state they were in.

Given that we know that intel has been on Apple's radar since NeXT took them over I'd say we can take Job's comments on face value.

Here's a good link that clearly shows the thinking during the early days of the NeXT takeover. I used to work for Apple back in the 90's in the UK, and I can remember the presentations showing all this stuff. Ah the memories :)

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q1.07/4B800F78-0F75-455A-9681-F186A4365805.html

Alex

Aladdin
23rd October 2007, 09:04 PM
Steve did say some time ago that new OS X revisions would slow down as it matured. A 24 month gap between Tiger and Leopard would be consistent with this. I feel the delay from 'Northern Spring 2007' to October 2007 is due to other factors (blame whatever you like).

I would expect the gap to OS X 'The Next Cat' to be similar i.e. 24-30 months.

iPirate
23rd October 2007, 09:08 PM

I wonder if it will ever be possible to get OSX86 versions of Puma, Jaguar and Panther? They're pretty ok to run on older macs as it is... so if I could get them on PCs too... well, I'd be in heaven.

morn
24th October 2007, 06:52 AM
Unlikely they'd be of the quality and reliable of something you'd want to run.

bartron
24th October 2007, 07:32 AM
Unlikely they'd be of the quality and reliable of something you'd want to run.

Not toi mention there would be no rosetta layer (ppc emulation wasn't mature) and while the OS might be x86 the apps wouldn't be so it would be next to useless as an OS. It might be fun to play with but opening finder windows and checking "about this mac" would wear off pretty quickly.

SyncMan
24th October 2007, 08:21 AM

Names?...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=843434

sendai
24th October 2007, 10:44 AM
BTW it is 22 months since x86 tiger was out.And recall the 6 month delay to Leopard due to the iPhone...

andrewhollo
24th October 2007, 11:20 AM
So, what would need to happen for an OS-XI to exist? What would such an operating system look like? Are they already working on this?

kendals
24th October 2007, 11:32 AM
I don't mind if it's 18-24 months between updates :)

Bart Smastard
24th October 2007, 11:59 AM
I don't mind if it's 18-24 months between updates :)

Works for me as well. I buy a new computer every 3 years on average. The last was just after Tiger came out. I'll be buying around April '08 so Leopard will be mature and hopefully any little issues will be sorted :)

kendals
24th October 2007, 12:34 PM
You're waiting that long to use Leopard?! Crazy! :)

entropy
24th October 2007, 12:40 PM
So, what would need to happen for an OS-XI to exist? What would such an operating system look like? Are they already working on this?

Holographic output and the mac knows what you want to do before you do.