PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Question

gmask1
20th February 2005, 11:54 PM
Hi all,

When I'm transferring a large file from my powerbook to my pc through the powerbook's airport card, I'm occasionally seeing a huge slowdown in the mouse pointer response when I move my bluetooth mouse around. If I use the laptop trackpad everything is fine...

As soon as the file finishes transferring, the bluetooth mouse is back to normal, ie. normal response when I move the mouse.

Any ideas?

purana
21st February 2005, 03:44 AM
Ideas? Yes.

Bluetooth operates on 2.4Ghz.
Wireless operates on 2.4Ghz.

Thus lies the problem. My machine does the same thing and seriously its most annoying.

You only notice the bluetooth lag on HUGE file transfers (where you are maxing out the wireless throughput).

hawker
21st February 2005, 06:52 AM
Random? I use my bluetooth mouse and 2.4ghz wireless all day, transfer heaps of files. Never had a problem!

purana
21st February 2005, 07:32 AM
Transfer a huge file (couple hundred mb or more). The bigger the better. Whiles its transfering via wireless, move the bluetooth mouse. It will be very lazy.

gmask1
21st February 2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by iodine@Feb 21 2005, 03:44 AM
Ideas? Yes.

Bluetooth operates on 2.4Ghz.
Wireless operates on 2.4Ghz.

Thus lies the problem. My machine does the same thing and seriously its most annoying.

You only notice the bluetooth lag on HUGE file transfers (where you are maxing out the wireless throughput).
Ahhh, there's the missing link - I hadn't expected/realised that bluetooth operates in the same frequency as the RF.

Most interesting...

Thanks,

GregA

hawker
21st February 2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by iodine@Feb 21 2005, 07:32 AM
Transfer a huge file (couple hundred mb or more). The bigger the better. Whiles its transfering via wireless, move the bluetooth mouse. It will be very lazy.
Just moved 800MB's of files from my powerbook to iMac, Kept using my bluetooth mouse, if it was slower, I did not notice!

josh64
21st February 2005, 10:50 AM
Perhaps Hawker is running his wireless on a different channel to gmask1 and iodine, and that channel doesn't have as much interference with bluetooth.