PDA

View Full Version : Novell, Mac & Parallels

mvjs
22nd October 2007, 06:47 PM
I'll be needing to purchase a notebook computer for my schooling, and the campus is Windows orientated. The campus does have Macs on the network, and has a Novell server. I'm going to need to run a bunch of Windows specific apps

I'm wanting to purchase a MacBook Pro, and run Parallels Desktop with Windows XP. Has anyone had any experience with running the Novell client in Parallels? What compatibility does the Mac have with a Novell server?

Is it possible to import an IT supplied ISO image of an installation into Parallels (or VMWare), if so, how?

Thanks in advance

jeremy_warnock
22nd October 2007, 06:55 PM
Yes to all the above.

First Novell and macs play fine - but you wont need that. Because of your windows apps that you need you may as well just run windows in a virtual machince. I have ported my office away from AD to edir and my macbook has a copy of the office's soe on and all runs very happily.

You biggest problem will be getting the IT guys to create the vm for you. Both parallels and vmware have products that transfer a physical machine to a virtual machine but your IT guys may just say get stuffed. It wont be an ISO image they will need to create an actually vm for you. I have had the best luck with vmware for this. For what ever reason the parallels p2v has never worked for me

Alessiman
22nd October 2007, 06:57 PM
Simple answer is yes. If the school is running Netware 5 or above there is native file access support for Mac built into the filesystem anyways

But the easiest way to do it is to run Parallells and the standard Windows OS. Install the Novell Client and (if the campus is run even 1/2 competently) the Zen Client will push out all the apps you need onto the desktop

ISO images are so 90's :)

Alessiman
22nd October 2007, 06:59 PM
I have ported my office away from AD to edir and my macbook has a copy of the office's soe on and all runs very happily.

Never thought I would ever hear someone say that statement again Jeremy :D

mvjs
22nd October 2007, 07:05 PM
Thank you for all your replies so far.

So basically, I need to create the virtual machine. Could I plug a firewire cable into a PC with the installation and run Parallels transporter to attain the VM?

Just to confirm, they'll be no issues running the Novell client in Parallels Desktop?

Could you envision any problems connecting to a Cisco WiFi network? One of the IT officers said they configured the network so that Macs may not connect, is that possible? It is just standard WiFi and a wide variety of PCs connect fine.

coljac
22nd October 2007, 07:16 PM
Thank you for all your replies so far.

So basically, I need to create the virtual machine. Could I plug a firewire cable into a PC with the installation and run Parallels transporter to attain the VM?

Just to confirm, they'll be no issues running the Novell client in Parallels Desktop?

Could you envision any problems connecting to a Cisco WiFi network? One of the IT officers said they configured the network so that Macs may not connect, is that possible? It is just standard WiFi and a wide variety of PCs connect fine.

Don't know about the firewire cable and transporter - that's a little iffy to my mind.

Whatever you can run on Windows will run fine in Parallels, barring the latest 3D games.

.iso images can be imported into a virtual machine and mounted as a CD, by the way.

I don't believe your IT guy either - WiFi is a published standard, so not sure how they would lock it down.

Be sure to read the front-page thread on VMware vs Parallels.

cgollner
22nd October 2007, 07:27 PM
With respect to the SOE. If the guys are using zenworks imaging whether it be scripted imaging or normal then there are some steps you need to take to get a VM based on an SOE. Where I work I am the only Mac user and the Novell admin so I have plenty of experience from the IT side of things. The nitty gritty of the SOE is probably better left for a PM if your interested, unless others would like to know also then I'll post in the thread. Short answer is that it is doable and that vmware is easier than parallels. You'll need the zenworks imaging boot cd to get things started.

Chris.

mvjs
22nd October 2007, 07:32 PM
With respect to the SOE. If the guys are using zenworks imaging whether it be scripted imaging or normal then there are some steps you need to take to get a VM based on an SOE. Where I work I am the only Mac user and the Novell admin so I have plenty of experience from the IT side of things. The nitty gritty of the SOE is probably better left for a PM if your interested, unless others would like to know also then I'll post in the thread. Short answer is that it is doable and that vmware is easier than parallels. You'll need the zenworks imaging boot cd to get things started.

Chris.

I've got a feeling there's nothing fancy like that. You get an ISO image normally of the full installation (and they'd usually blast that on to your PC). It might be useful if you post the information here for future reference.

cgollner
22nd October 2007, 08:01 PM
What I have found is that our SOE will deploy more successfully into a VMware fusion machine than a parallels one. The machines boot the first time quite happily but after the zenworks agent kicks in and does its reconfiguration of the machine in parallels you get BSOD more often on the next boot. The HAL(hardware abstraction layer) is too different. There is an article on the web about fixing the hal but it was quite a painful process. It did work though.

I now deploy the SOE into fusion the convert the format into the parallels format. Again a time consuming process but less prone to error. I then burn the raw converted machine onto DVD. If I need to restore I can copy the dvd files over and avoid going through the process again.

From the sounds of it in your case they guys are using an unattended XP installer and once you login NAL and zenworks agents take over the rest of configuration. In my case we don't install XP but deploy a preconfigured one onto the machines.

Chris

jeremy_warnock
22nd October 2007, 08:33 PM
Never thought I would ever hear someone say that statement again Jeremy :D

Why the shock??? AD is a very crap version of edir??, its like edir in a straight jacket and novells new oes2 is very nice

Alessiman
22nd October 2007, 08:43 PM
Why the shock??? AD is a very crap version of edir??, its like edir in a straight jacket and novells new oes2 is very nice

1st off I'm a huge Novell fan. Used to work for them for 7 years. Including many a trip over to the west to visit Tania and crew over in the Havelock Street offices

Nah its just every post I read is Novell bashing, its refreshing to see people still using it.

I've been a CNE/CNI since 1990 way back in the Netware 286 days

I've even written a few articles on eDirectory integration

But alas I have jumped ship. I now work for a somewhat competitor to Novell. And no its not M$ hehe

jeremy_warnock
22nd October 2007, 08:47 PM
Tania and Franz are great arnt they.

I truely believe that 99% of the IT industry are just so scared not to choose m$ they miss so many better products- it has to be a comfort zone because, since we jumped ship 18 months our network has never run better and been easier to maintain.

So many reasons, but one simple reason for me in a legal office nss - salvage is fantastic. It paid for OES in close to a month

Alessiman
22nd October 2007, 08:51 PM
So many reasons, but one simple reason for me in a legal office nss - salvage is fantastic. It paid for OES in close to a month

Off topic but a few years ago we were on a client site (Minter Ellison, huge law firm) when the Iloveyou virus hit bigtime. Everyone was going ballistic with mobiles going off left right and centre.

Nice and calm in the offices running GroupWise I must say.

They had only just released the Mac Client when I left in 2003

By chance do you run iFolder at all? Thats the killer app for OES I must say. Saved many a client in the past

mvjs
20th February 2008, 06:25 PM
If the school is running Netware 5 or above there is native file access support for Mac built into the filesystem anyways

Sorry to dig up an old thread. How can I connect to the Novell Network Shares through OS X? Presumably through the Connect to Server dialogue? Where would I find its address?

EDIT I've found what the Share is set to in Windows, //cl-sol_file/. So if I go to connect to server can I type in smb://cl-sol_file/ ?