PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! repair HD problems, MBP

Galumay
21st October 2007, 09:05 PM
hi all,

i have been cleaning up the MBP ready for a Leopard update next friday, deleted a lot of rubbish, repaired permissions and then ran applejack which kept stalling on HD check.

so did a bit of research and pulled out the install disc, booted up and ran disk utility off the startup disc and got this error when i tried to repair drive,

"Invalid Node structure, volume check failed.
Error - the underlying task reported failure on exit.
1 HFS volume checked
1 volume could not be repaired because of an error."

no signs of any problems with the computer at this stage, where to from here?

purchase something to try to repair the drive?

all suggestions welcome!

soulman
21st October 2007, 09:16 PM
I would probably reformat & restore data from backup. But I guess I would try DiskWarrior first seeing as I have it.

Galumay
21st October 2007, 09:24 PM
ok, i am backing up with superduper now, when that is finished, how do i reformat the drive?

soulman
21st October 2007, 09:25 PM
Disk Utility - Select the disk & click on the Erase tab.

meinrosebud
21st October 2007, 09:26 PM
ok, i am backing up with superduper now, when that is finished, how do i reformat the drive?

Firstly boot up onto your install disk 1 and use disk utility to check and repair your hard drive before you attempt to reformat your hard drive.

rob05
21st October 2007, 09:28 PM
You can also use if you have it TechTool Pro 4.5.3 is the latest UB version or Disk Warrior 4.0 which will also fix some issues

Galumay
21st October 2007, 09:31 PM
Firstly boot up onto your install disk 1 and use disk utility to check and repair your hard drive before you attempt to reformat your hard drive.

..refer to my OP - already tried that!

Galumay
21st October 2007, 09:32 PM
You can also use if you have it TechTool Pro 4.5.3 is the latest UB version or Disk Warrior 4.0 which will also fix some issues

i dont have either, is it worth buying and trying - or just go the reformat path??

Galumay
22nd October 2007, 06:41 AM
mmmmm...not good :confused:

woke up this morning and superduper has failed to back up, crashed with an error with a particular file. i deleted the file and tried again and it fails straight away after starting to copy.

Squozen
22nd October 2007, 07:18 AM
Back up what you can. Just drag your personal data to the external drive, forget about trying to use an app. If your drive is dying, you really don't want to waste time. Trust me on this.

Galumay
22nd October 2007, 09:54 AM
looking much better, realised i had a small power outage during the night which borked the backup, got that done and then reformatted the drive, ran disk repair and all checked out ok.

now restoring backup to MBP.

soulman
22nd October 2007, 10:02 AM
Good to hear mate! Was all sounding a bit grim there for a while.