PDA

View Full Version : Fixed: osx not sleeping when idle

limpboy
19th October 2007, 01:10 PM
hi all,

I thought i would post up my recent issues with getting my macbook to sleep after being idle.
I hadn't noticed issue before because i usually run macbook on mains power and have set it not to sleep. But two days ago i was working in another room using battery and them left it there over night. Next morning picked it up and thought it had gone to sleep but it had actually drained all power from battery and gone into deep sleep.

So i went looking for possible reasons why it wasn't sleeping after idle. Reset PRAM PMU etc. Shutting down any programs that could be running in background. To no avail. Until i noticed that i had setup the rotating wallpaper option for my desktop. Thats where you set your wallpaper to choose random images from a certain folder. Once i set my wallpaper to be a single static image. My mac could sleep again after idle.

Hope that helps someone out there in macland.

macaholic
19th October 2007, 02:43 PM
Good pick up.
Thanks.

dotnet
19th October 2007, 04:02 PM
I reckon you should report that to Apple as a bug. Screen saver activity should not affect idle detection.

Cheers
Steffen.

limpboy
19th October 2007, 04:23 PM
It is not exactly the screensaver that was the problem. But the rotating background desktop image. It is option when choosing your background wallpaper. Instead of choosing just one image to be your wallpaper, you can choose a folder. And your background image will change every 5 sec or so.

But it is a bug and i should report it.

Remorhaz
19th October 2007, 04:37 PM
I have my MBP set to automatically change my desktop wallpaper at regular intervals (5 or 15 mins I think) and my MBP sleeps OK (if I shut the lid - is that what you mean?)

Brewster
19th October 2007, 04:40 PM
My desktop changes every hour on all my machines (including my Macbook) but it goes to sleep fine just sitting idle. It sometimes takes a few goes to wake up (shutting the lid then opening it again) but no problems going to sleep.

limpboy
19th October 2007, 05:16 PM
I had my desktop change every 10 seconds. It might depend on your settings on how long mac waits at idle before it sleeps. Maybe your setting of changing desktop every hour was infrequent enough to leave your mac idle so it could sleep. My theory is that the disk is being accessed when new image is displayed. Thus system doesn't think it is idle.

STK
21st December 2007, 09:24 AM
My dads powerbook did that. I just repaired permissions in disk utility and it's been working ever since.