PDA

View Full Version : looking for app to copy files from daap: (itunes) network share

jubilantjeremy
18th October 2007, 02:04 PM
Guys,

Is there some app out there that will copy files (and not just play them) from a daap:// stream, such as in itunes 7?

For example, say I have an iMac running itunes 7 and sharing it's library. Is there any way I can 'rip' the songs from it's iTunes shared library, without using afp/cifs?

There is a great looking project called OurTunes written in Java, but it doesn't work with iTunes 7 and doesn't seem to have been updated in awhile - though the developers say they are 'working on it'..

Thanks!

Jeremy

chrome
18th October 2007, 02:58 PM
God I hope not. I don't want people to copy my tunes. I paid good money for them! Most of them, that is!

GraphicDZNR
18th October 2007, 03:11 PM
Not so much an app as a handy apple script!

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts10.php

Remote Management Scripts v1.3

This collection of scripts will assist you in managing shared tracks and playlists on a remote machine over a network via iTunes on the local machine.

Add Selected Remote Tracks - Copy the files of selected shared tracks to the local computer and add to iTunes.

chrome
18th October 2007, 03:37 PM
eep :(

*disables sharing*

GraphicDZNR
18th October 2007, 04:03 PM
eep :(

*disables sharing*

LOL... Share the wealth... You CAN just password protect your library in iTunes prefs... ;)

jubilantjeremy
18th October 2007, 04:43 PM
Haha. Luckily, Chrome, I can't find anything available to do it. Yet..

Slightly related, but if you're at a uni or large business, protocol seems to be to password protect your library, and then put the password in the name of the library. iTunes has a limit of 5 max connections, and sometimes users inadvertently connect - meaning the 5 users can be used up quicky. Making the password public means only users who want to connect will connect..

Jeremy

zbaron
18th October 2007, 06:35 PM
Google for "ourtunes". However, it does not appear to work with iTunes 7 ... yet.

(and then he goes back and reads *all* of the original post) :o