PDA

View Full Version : Leopard: Upgrade or Fresh install?

xerodude
18th October 2007, 11:57 AM
Having never faced this issue, as this is my first Mac, what is the best way to go about installing Leopard?

At this stage I will do a full backup to a Lacie FW800 Hdd via SuperDuper, in case of hassles.

But from here do I wipe and do a fresh install and copy over Documents etc? Is it possible to sync settings like bookmarks from the backup ? ( I have a .Mac so I can do bookmarks + addressbook anyway over the net ).

Or, is it just as good to run upgrade?

I certainly don't mind reloading apps and stuff, as it is so much easier on a Mac.!!!!!

Linux_insidev2
18th October 2007, 12:02 PM
I'll be doing an upgrade but still making a backup beforehand.

OSX seems to handle upgrading a lot better than windows does :P

Disko
18th October 2007, 12:08 PM
Fresh install every time for me. :)

mechcon
18th October 2007, 12:10 PM
Fresh install for sure, my imac is running slower than my macbook pro (same cpu/RAM)

lucious
18th October 2007, 12:20 PM
Do a fresh install!

it will be interesting to see how Time Machine works with backing up the existing hard disk before install...

Not long until we find out...

coljac
18th October 2007, 12:30 PM
I'm surprised at the responses... I thought everyone was going to say "upgrade - OS X is designed to work flawlessly this way".

gelfie
Fresh install every time for me too.

trailblazer
Fresh install, always feels like a new computer... :)

Dante Kyar
18th October 2007, 12:33 PM
Fresh install, none of those left over fragments of files :)

andrew.wilson
18th October 2007, 12:33 PM
I am thinking I need a fresh install. Only thing I am worried about is my Firefox boomarks..any way to back these up? Cheers :)

eni
18th October 2007, 12:41 PM
Fresh install, as I derive some form of sick pleasure from configuring a new environment to my precise requirements.

Ginamos
18th October 2007, 12:42 PM
My iMac G4 originally came installed with Jaguar and I've only ever upgraded (Panther, Tiger). I've never had any problems, although I do run a defrag roughly every six months.

I'll probably just upgrade the iMac again this time, but my MacBook will get a clean install.

mab
18th October 2007, 12:43 PM
I am thinking I need a fresh install. Only thing I am worried about is my Firefox boomarks..any way to back these up? Cheers :)

make a copy of ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/qn87hqi6.default/bookmarks.html

where qn87hqi6 will be some random string.

Aa
18th October 2007, 12:43 PM

It's true there's nothing quite like a fresh install to make you feel as though you have a new computer, but keep a backup of your HD to bring accross prefs, app support folders etc.. i haven't deleted mine since reinstalling last week with 10.4.10.

For firefox you can export your bookmarks as a file under Bookmarks/Organise bookmarks then go to the 'File' menu /Export.

andrew.wilson
18th October 2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys! Fresh install for me then! =) I too like starting new and getting it right with a bit of a spring clean thrown in!

tangent23
18th October 2007, 12:51 PM
so if i have a super duper backup, what do i do to bring everything back over after a fresh install?

spargo
18th October 2007, 12:53 PM
OK, so as per last time I'll do a fresh install. In doing so I'll back up to my external drive, which has the one volume (i.e. not partitioned in any way)..

So, when I copy that information back after the Fresh Install, and it begins to run time machine, will time machine simply wipe that external drive and start doing its thing?

Time Machine worries me.

conufsed
18th October 2007, 12:53 PM

I use foxmarks to sync my bookmarks between a few computers I use, but this would also be a lazy backup option

As for the upgrade, even if I wasn't getting a new machine, I'd do a reinstall anyway, due to the large amounts of stuff compiled by hand and then a combination of macports and fink mess all over the place

Joz
18th October 2007, 12:54 PM
Backup. Fresh installs all round.

Dante Kyar
18th October 2007, 12:54 PM
I'd back everything up by drag and drop to your external hard drive, then install leopard. Drag everything back to your computer.

Then wipe the external hard drive, then run time machine.

That should get it all going without any problems.

Dante Kyar
18th October 2007, 12:55 PM
Fresh install, as I derive some form of sick pleasure from configuring a new environment to my precise requirements.

lol, i thought i was the only one :P

so satisfying for some reason :rolleyes:

spargo
18th October 2007, 01:02 PM
I'd back everything up by drag and drop to your external hard drive, then install leopard. Drag everything back to your computer.

Then wipe the external hard drive, then run time machine.

That should get it all going without any problems.

It should, however I missed one issue - I have 25+gb worth of photos on my ext. HDD that must stay on there. They do exist on DVD archives, however I keep them on this drive for quick access.

So there is no way I can wipe that drive prior to Time Machine starting, without getting another drive and putting them over to that temporarily. This should be interesting..

leon
18th October 2007, 01:04 PM
Fresh install here as well.

sunrisesister
18th October 2007, 01:08 PM
Backup to FW drive, and then fresh install. Then migrate my data over!

schibeci
18th October 2007, 01:15 PM
Archive and Install

Dante Kyar
18th October 2007, 01:19 PM
It should, however I missed one issue - I have 25+gb worth of photos on my ext. HDD that must stay on there. They do exist on DVD archives, however I keep them on this drive for quick access.

So there is no way I can wipe that drive prior to Time Machine starting, without getting another drive and putting them over to that temporarily. This should be interesting..

yeah im in a bit of a jam too, my external HDD holds more than what i can fit on my MBP, so im going to have start deleting what i dont use anymore. Possibly even one drive from time machine and another for holding movies or something.

[MREVO8]
18th October 2007, 01:28 PM
Although I have never had to "clean slate" my Mac with Tiger (like I had to with Windows every 6 months)... I think I'll do a fresh install, just because of the way I have my Mac Pro set up.

decryption
I like doing it fresh. I've never done an archive and install based on some of the stuff I've heard it cause.

It's a good excuse to wipe the slate clean too :)

tempestas
Haven't decided yet, am thinking that Tiger might be where my G4 iBook stops. I have a G3 running Panther and its fine, so maybe its time for a new machine for Leopard.

The Panther to Tiger was an archive and instal and went fine from memory, but I did a clean instal not long before to overcome a silly partition I'd created before coming to terms with the smallness of a 60Gb drive.

arkenstone
18th October 2007, 01:43 PM

I'm thinking of going down this route.

Is it as easy as buyng a 250g drive (the same size as my imac's got), chucking it in a firewire enclosure, booting off the osx CD and mirroring my disk?

Not got a real computer nearby to have a look atm as I'm at work.

shorebuck
18th October 2007, 01:49 PM
I don't think I can be arsed (:

Though if I change my mind I'd prob do a fresh install though - but doing this everyday at work bores me. I think I'll just wait til I get a new machine with Leopard and then move imy data across.

Rayd
18th October 2007, 01:49 PM
ive always done an upgrade with a nice repair permissions, never had a problem been running the same OS since 10.0 :)

dlmuller
18th October 2007, 02:09 PM

So, let me clarify. If I do a clean install of Leopard, after backing up to my ext FW drive, the Migration Assistant will run when I first start up under Leopard, and then I just tell it to migrate all my stuff off the ext FW drive. Correct?

chrome
18th October 2007, 02:10 PM
Might I humbly suggest an Archive & Install.

This Archives your previous system but keeps your User folder untouched.

It is the best option, imho.

cmjl
18th October 2007, 02:38 PM
Stop what you are doing and go and immediately download Foxmarks from www.foxmarks.com.

It's great for backing up your bookmarks and if you have multiple systems with Firefox on them you can use it to keep your bookmarks synchronised across all of them.

Beast5500
18th October 2007, 02:41 PM
Fresh install every time for me. :)
:thumbup:

Also, if it's anything like the 10.1 upgrade , you can fool it into thinking it's a full install

alexc
18th October 2007, 03:23 PM

Installing Google Sync is one easy way.

There are other plugins that will sync ala .Mac style too. But I like Google Sync as I'm a google fan-boi.

iSlayer
18th October 2007, 03:25 PM
Never had a problem upgrading so ill be doing that again

alexc
18th October 2007, 03:29 PM
I'll be doing a clean install. It's the only way :-D

If it was a clients Mac or something, then I'd attempt an upgrade.

I'll also be the Voice-Of-Doom here and point out that backing up your Mac and then erasing the internal drive doesnt leave you with a backup!

Once you've erased your Mac's drive you only have one copy of you data!

Call me Paranoid if you will, but I've done some stupid things in the past and had seemingly good drives fail for no reason just when I need the data most. Especially in the drunken excitement and crazy confusion of a new OSX release :D

So my advice is to make TWO backups before you wipe that internal drive!

Call me crazy, call me overly cautious. But you can also call me the dude that sleeps well with double data backups. :thumbup::thumbup:

andrew.wilson
18th October 2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies about firefox...much appreciated! :D

I am curious about this now. How exactly is a fresh install done? I was assuming it was done from the Leopard disc...but others are talking about clearing the HD completely which would be nice actually...because I'd like to clean the mess I made with Boot Camp. If you completely clear the HD then what happens? A guide as to how to do a clean install would be awesome :)

I am also worried about what is going to happen to my beautiful iTunes library with all my beautiful album art (much of which was added from photos saved onto the computer) and playlists :confused:

I hadnt given any of this a thought until now!

shiny
18th October 2007, 04:19 PM
Bit of a newb question, but can I install the iLife suite off the Tiger discs when 10.5 is installed or do I have to buy iLife 08?

Hamsmyth
18th October 2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks for all the replies about firefox...much appreciated! :D

I am curious about this now. How exactly is a fresh install done? I was assuming it was done from the Leopard disc...but others are talking about clearing the HD completely which would be nice actually...because I'd like to clean the mess I made with Boot Camp. If you completely clear the HD then what happens? A guide as to how to do a clean install would be awesome :)

I am also worried about what is going to happen to my beautiful iTunes library with all my beautiful album art (much of which was added from photos saved onto the computer) and playlists :confused:

I hadnt given any of this a thought until now!

I'm also unsure of how to correctly do a fresh install.

I think a lot of people would be very grateful if someone knowledgeable in the area could write a guide.

BlowMeDown
18th October 2007, 04:22 PM
Full erase and install for me.

andrew.wilson
18th October 2007, 04:26 PM
Bit of a newb question, but can I install the iLife suite off the Tiger discs when 10.5 is installed or do I have to buy iLife 08?

Ooo...also good question...so much to consider. Any advice on how to do this? :)

Comet
18th October 2007, 04:26 PM

Not the tiger disc, but from the discs that came with your hw. You do the install of 10.5 first, then pop in the original disc to install the iLife.

stefanlod
18th October 2007, 04:44 PM
I'm tempted to do an erase, because I've got a whole lot of junk in the UNIX directories I don't use anymore. If I knew whether those directories are replaced, I'd do an upgrade but I think it's just easiest that I do an erase.

aafuss
18th October 2007, 04:46 PM
I'll do a Archive & Install. Is safe to remove the old system folder after I install Leopard and ensure that everything works?

SilverJ
18th October 2007, 05:27 PM
I think I know what I am doing,
but perhaps for others and perhaps myself included,
can someone list a guide to formatting your mac completely and making a fresh install of leopard? cheers!

corowakid
18th October 2007, 05:30 PM

If you go to Organise Bookmarks you'll see you can export the entire Bookmark collction as one file. When you re-load Firefox, do the same, and this time click "Import" tell it where the file is, and voila! they'll reappear. HTH

cgollner
18th October 2007, 05:33 PM
I will be SuperDuping to a firewire drive and do a fresh install. Maybe migration assistant to bring the data across.

aafuss
18th October 2007, 05:38 PM
I'll probably do a archive and install.
To be safe, I backed up my important files (user folder, iTunes, documents, iPhoto,etc) to my external 20GB USB 2.0 drive, just in case I do want to fresh instal of Leopard.

Seems that I only used about 5GB out of 20GB to backup files from my mini's 60GB HDD.

I plan to reinstall iLife, iWork, Logic Express and all of the Jam Packs.

Or I might do a fresh install (as I've collected a lot of unnecessary files since I got my Mac mini last June) to gain more space.

bullrout
18th October 2007, 06:12 PM

Do you mean using Migration Assistant?

Edit: I should have kept reading before posting.

Dubhousing
18th October 2007, 06:22 PM
Two quick questions about migration assistant and Leopard. Does anyone know if it works with USB2 external drives and does it bring over applications in full as well as user files?

Phase
18th October 2007, 06:44 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Pistolpd/ps_cs3_3in_boxshotcopy.jpg

Due to the known issues, I won't have choice. And neither will any other Cs3 users.

mac_man_luke
18th October 2007, 06:51 PM
whys that?

Phase
18th October 2007, 06:53 PM
whys that?

Cs3 products do not play nicely with Leopard.

You can test this out right now! If you have Safari 3 running, try installing anything from the new Cs3 range.

It ain't happening. And with Leopard shipping with it, with no way to roll it back, we're screwed! :rolleyes:

happyfrappy
18th October 2007, 07:23 PM
Since I never use any OS X modding/theme hacks, I've never had issues doing an upgrade. The only time I ever do fresh installs is if there was any usage of Apple Developer Tools/offerings that were labeled "development or public preview" so I often roll back to a previous cloned image.
(this opinion also applies to Windows, Solaris, SuSE Linux, etc as modding or "preview" software can cause some of the same upgrade pains)

Two quick questions about migration assistant and Leopard. Does anyone know if it works with USB2 external drives and does it bring over applications in full as well as user files?

It'll work if you used CCC or SuperDuper correctly, just make sure to follow the instructions of the migration assistant options. Remember if you do this, make sure to de-authorize your iTunes account on the computer or you'll have to do that once a year allowed reset to fix that mistake(applies if you have 5 Macs). heh, I forgot to deauthorize my PB 2x on the last two reformats and had to do the reset :o

Atomac
18th October 2007, 07:31 PM
I'll be doing a clean install, but reinstalling all of my Apps is a pain.

Can migration assistant actually copy applications over? I thought it couldn't, but then, I have never used it.

aswitcher
18th October 2007, 07:50 PM
I am still tossing over this...

Galumay
18th October 2007, 07:51 PM
does someone feel like typing up a guide for the various options and explain the advantages and disadvantages of each option?

i think i just want to do an archive and install, but i do have an external HD on my mac mini HTPC that i could use to back up each pooter before upgrading.

i havent got my head around time machine yet, how it will work on a wireless LAN with 3 macs and one external HD, whether it will delete existing data on the HD if i use that, etc.

oh, and i have PS CS3 but i dont understand the potential issue with Safari 3 - whats the connection?

what about FCE ? any issues with leopard there??

Galumay
18th October 2007, 07:53 PM
I am still tossing over this...

too much information and hugely off topic. :D:D

Dubhousing
18th October 2007, 08:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Pistolpd/ps_cs3_3in_boxshotcopy.jpg

Due to the known issues, I won't have choice. And neither will any other Cs3 users.

Explain, damnit!!! I have CS3 and it is erratic enough under Tiger.

Gerbils
18th October 2007, 08:43 PM
Upgrade. Never had problems doing it before.

Sambo
18th October 2007, 08:51 PM
does someone feel like typing up a guide for the various options and explain the advantages and disadvantages of each option?

i think i just want to do an archive and install, but i do have an external HD on my mac mini HTPC that i could use to back up each pooter before upgrading.

i havent got my head around time machine yet, how it will work on a wireless LAN with 3 macs and one external HD, whether it will delete existing data on the HD if i use that, etc.

oh, and i have PS CS3 but i dont understand the potential issue with Safari 3 - whats the connection?

what about FCE ? any issues with leopard there??

Sounds like a great idea, and can someone please explain the CS3 issues?

Phase
18th October 2007, 09:45 PM
THE CS3 "ISSUE"

As it stands, Adobe does not have, or as of writing does not have a final version of Leopard.

"CS3 hasn't fully been tested under Leopard," Adobe Chief Executive Bruce Chizen told Reuters in an interview.

As of now Cs3 is broken on Tiger if you have Safari 3 installed. A staple program on Leopard.

To test this, attempt to install something from the Creative suite. The installer will freeze halfway through the installation with this:

http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/uploads/adobe-cs3-vs-safari-3-beta.png

At which point you must force quit the installer. You then have to uninstall all Cs3 programs, roll Safari back to Safari 2 re-install all your cs3 apps, and then re-install Safari 3.

The problem lies in the inability to roll back to Safari 2 from Leopard, because it won't exist like that anymore.

NelsonX
18th October 2007, 10:06 PM
Just a quick question from me re. clean install.

Will the boot camp partition remain intact if Leopard is clean installed?

tintinaujapon
18th October 2007, 10:19 PM
Another q to add to the many here:

the Leopard disc being sent out for a nominal charge ($12.95) to Mac owners who purchased after October 1st - will this allow you to actually perform a clean install or is it strictly only an update disc?

marc
18th October 2007, 10:31 PM
As of now Cs3 is broken on Tiger if you have Safari 3 installed. A staple program on Leopard.
Lucky I'm using CS1.

I wonder how well that'll work under Leopard.

If PS doesn't work, I might have to buy Pixelmator and see if it's good enough as a replacement.

Another q to add to the many here:

the Leopard disc being sent out for a nominal charge ($12.95) to Mac owners who purchased after October 1st - will this allow you to actually perform a clean install or is it strictly only an update disc?
AFAIK, Apple have never forced the install type on any OS CD or DVD. So you should be able to do a clean install, archive and install or upgrade, just like the retail box.

Galumay
18th October 2007, 10:42 PM
THE CS3 "ISSUE"

The problem lies in the inability to roll back to Safari 2 from Leopard, because it won't exist like that anymore.

ok, so i have read what you posted and as i understand it there will be no issue if you dont want to update anything on CS3??

the only relationship between safari & CS3 seems to be when updating something, so if i am happy using CS3 as it is there wont be any issues with Leopard - or am i missing something??

Pal-o-mine
18th October 2007, 10:49 PM
Just a quick question from me re. clean install.

Will the boot camp partition remain intact if Leopard is clean installed?

Yep - this is what I would like to know. Separate partition, so I guess it should be OK....shouldn't it?

decryption
18th October 2007, 10:55 PM
CS3 doesn't work on Leopard still? OUCH, someone at Adobe should be fired for not keeping CS3 in tune with Leopard.

marc
18th October 2007, 10:58 PM
the only relationship between safari & CS3 seems to be when updating something, so if i am happy using CS3 as it is there wont be any issues with Leopard - or am i missing something??
CS3 won't install. I think that's the issue.

Galumay
18th October 2007, 11:05 PM
CS3 won't install. I think that's the issue.

...so if i just do a straight upgrade then it should work?

what about an archive and install? do the apps actually re-install, i dont think so.

that should work too?

Arkhum_Eramak
18th October 2007, 11:11 PM
A fresh install from me too, I've trodden down the 'upgrade' path and it wasn't pleasant. 10.4 is running like absolute bollocks for me at the moment anyways, so a fresh clean start could be exactly what the doctor ordered for the Mac Pro methinks.

::edit:: Marc, when I got my Mac mini (shortly after the 10.4 release) it came packed with a 10.4 upgrade disc that had to be upgraded from 10.3. I only ever did an install from that disc once - its a right pain if the discs are upgrade ones

marc
18th October 2007, 11:29 PM
...so if i just do a straight upgrade then it should work?

what about an archive and install? do the apps actually re-install, i dont think so.

that should work too?
Archive and install is a fresh install, but just keeps your old System in another folder, so you'd have to install CS3 on a new system = no go. Not sure about an upgrade install. Would be funny if that works.

Installing CS3 on Leopard:
1. Install Tiger
2. Make sure you don't have Safari 3
3. Install CS3
4. Upgrade install to Leopard

Adobe, get your act together.

Marc, when I got my Mac mini (shortly after the 10.4 release) it came packed with a 10.4 upgrade disc that had to be upgraded from 10.3. I only ever did an install from that disc once - its a right pain if the discs are upgrade ones
Oh damn. That's not good.

DJY
19th October 2007, 12:02 AM
Like the idea of Fresh Install....

but finding all the prefs / settings / details/ etc / yadda yadda yadda = often I can't be bothered and I just do an Upgrade.

Optogamut
19th October 2007, 12:35 AM
Like the idea of Fresh Install....

but finding all the prefs / settings / details/ etc / yadda yadda yadda = often I can't be bothered and I just do an Upgrade.

ditto

besides, the fresh install can always be done later, but not the other way around.

macaholic
19th October 2007, 12:35 AM
A new OS requires a fresh instal, IMHO.
(And its an opportunity to erase the HD and write zeros across it.)
The first thing I do is to clone my current running system onto a portable Firewire disk, and ensure it boots OK.
Then I have the opportunity to use the Migration assistant if I couldn't be bothered installing all the apps, setting prefs etc.

Gerbils
19th October 2007, 06:18 AM
(And its an opportunity to erase the HD and write zeros across it.)

What's the point in doing this?

aspro
19th October 2007, 06:47 AM
I always do a fresh install, I keep my files all nicely backed up so no issues there. Any cruft in the system thats hanging around gets deleted. I also do it to minimise any potential conflicts.

d2kagw
19th October 2007, 07:39 AM
upgrading works fine - but I like to use these opportunities to clean up the system. so I usually do a full format and rebuild

d2kagw
19th October 2007, 07:41 AM
What's the point in doing this?

Although mac file systems don't need to be *defragged* it does give your computer a little speed boost..
It also gives you an opportunity to totally 10000% verify every sector on your HDD for errors

xerodude
19th October 2007, 08:47 AM
So generally, most people suggest that a new install is the way to go. However, the CS3 issue is a real concern! There is little point doing a fresh install, only to discover I can't install CS3.

Considering the CS3 media is a pressed cd, how does one get passed this? I am assuming it needs to be a patch applied by Apple or Adobe BEFORE install. I doubt that they are going to send us new media.

1: Can anyone say for certain that the release Leopard has this Adobe issue?

2: Can you install Leopard without Safari, and load it after CS3?

3: How does Leopard/Bootcamp deal with a current install of XP on a partition?

alexc
19th October 2007, 09:11 AM
The CS3 issue is bloody annoying. I'll have to stick with an upgrade-install. I only just found this out. So much for my new Hard-Drive plans. Guess I'll shelve those for a while.

Considering the CS3 media is a pressed cd, how does one get passed this? I am assuming it needs to be a patch applied by Apple or Adobe BEFORE install. I doubt that they are going to send us new media.

I'd guess that Adobe will just release a new Installer that you download. It can just pull the resources it needs from the DVD. Which I think is how the installer works at the moment. It's very modular and not one big monolithic installer archive.

Al

Sambo
19th October 2007, 04:16 PM
So what would be the steps involved in, backing up my whole user folder effectively (all apps, prefs etc.), then copying it back to the driver after a fresh install? I want it so that when apps are copied back they are all set-up, especially cs3.. Thanks.

ollielowe
19th October 2007, 04:44 PM
So leopard will supposedly have an option for a fresh install when I pop the disc in?

Lilith
19th October 2007, 07:52 PM
For what it's worth here's what I do:

Choose a computer as the first to get the new OSX.
Copy all user folders over to another computer. We leave this to run over night and have each user log in and do the transfer in order to preserve permissions perfectly.
Zap the computer with the new OSX and a wiped HDD.
Setup accounts.
Copy only those bits of the ~/library folders which are needed.
Test and copy more bits
Repeat
Etc
Now do the other computers.

Why this stupid way which can take a couple of days including extensive testing?
1) Not once has an archive and install worked for me. Probably due to my penchant for getting in as root and playing with groups and permissions - the OSX archive and install just can't hack it.
2) And I insist on installing any major upgrade on a clean slate for maximum performance - NO operating system can give us this with a basic upgrade.

Currawong
19th October 2007, 08:04 PM
I've had a good think, so an erase-install followed by a migration is the path for me. I'm thinking of getting a new 200Gb 7200rpm drive for my MBP for better speed (if I can't find a 250Gb one by then) so it will be easy.

warren21
19th October 2007, 09:28 PM
Upgrade for me. OS X is designed to upgrade so that's what I'll do. I find it too time consuming to worry about a fresh install and don't see the need for myself to do it. I've never had any problems in the past.

Peter Wells
19th October 2007, 09:37 PM
discussed in the podcast.

jedda and anthony say fresh install, i'm lazy...

tachy0n
19th October 2007, 09:52 PM
FWIW, most of the Macs at work were upgraded from 10.2 ->10.3 ->10.4, and still run great.
I don't believe a fresh install is necessary in everyone's case.
But I do agree that it's a good time to check your hard drive for bad blocks if you never do it at any other time.
Recommended apps: Drive Genius and TechToolPro.
Disclosure: I bought DriveGenius.
If you don't feel comfortable or have the time to do a fresh install, then some maintenance might be a good idea before upgrading.
Run the maintenance tasks in Onyx, Cocktail, Xupport, MainMenu, AppleJack or similar. Reboot when prompted and do the upgrade after that.

Galumay
19th October 2007, 10:31 PM
well looks like i am stuck with just an upgrade, i cant risk losing PS CS3 and i am concerned about other software like FCE.

in preparation i have spent most of today cleaning up the MBP and getting rid of all the deadwood!

Chesty
20th October 2007, 02:55 PM
I just watched the Leopard Guided Tour on the Apple Website about Upgrading. It showed a installation of Leopard, but i didn't see an option to upgrade or do a fresh install. Does this mean that you can only upgrade?

"Sorry, I'm wrong, I didn't see the 'Optional Installs' folder"

Fresh install for me.

raf
20th October 2007, 03:08 PM
No of course not. Leopard gives you the usual archive + install, erase + install, upgrade (if Tiger is found on volume).

At least when I ran 9A581, that's what I saw.

melbmac
20th October 2007, 03:22 PM
I'm debating it, my computer could use a fresh install, but I really CNBF setting up my ADSL and wireless again.

raf
20th October 2007, 04:04 PM
Clean install for me, after I triple check my external backup :)

nortonjg
22nd October 2007, 06:11 PM
Would i be able to do a fresh install for leopard without removing my bootcamp partition?

iSlayer
22nd October 2007, 06:13 PM
Would i be able to do a fresh install for leopard without removing my bootcamp partition?

the bootcamp and OS X partitions are completely separate so shouldn't be an issue

chris
26th October 2007, 04:23 PM
With the CS3 issue - would the following work?

I have an external bootable back-up done with Super Duper. I do a fresh install of Leopard and then migrate my apps and preferences via migration assistant includig CS3.

I am not actually installing CS3 am I? I am just copying across the already installed app - right or wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Dante Kyar
26th October 2007, 04:28 PM
Where is the option to do a fresh install?

I accidently just did an upgrade, didnt see the option. What can i do now?

Aaron
26th October 2007, 04:31 PM
Where is the option to do a fresh install?

I accidently just did an upgrade, didnt see the option. What can i do now?

Format, and stick in the Leopard disk if I'm not mistaken.

Dante Kyar
26th October 2007, 04:34 PM
how do i format it?

sorry, not good at any of the advanced stuff

Ozherbie
26th October 2007, 04:51 PM
Here's my upgrade plan for two machines. Can anyone point out any problems with the first one and give me some help with the second one.

Macbook Pro with Adobe CS3
1. Backup entire machine with Superduper to 150 gig partition on 300 gig external hard drive
2. Archive and install
3. One I'm sure everything is working all right trash old system folder
4. Wipe backup and set up external drive as Time Machine drive.

Macbook with Adobe CS
1. Backup entire machine with Superduper to second 150 gig partition on 300 gig external hard drive
2. Wipe machine
3. Install 10.5
4. ???

What's the best way to get my apps and settings back onto the Macbook? Does Superduper have an option to restore only the apps and user data without touching the OS files? I know Migration Assistant will move the user data back to the 10.5 install but will it move the applications as well?

This machine is extremely important (as is the data on it) for the wife and her schoolwork so I don't want to screw it up. I've been backing up for 20 years but have been extremely lucky in that I've only had 1 hard drive failure in all that time and I'm not really familiar with Superduper as the license for it was a gift.

chris
26th October 2007, 05:27 PM
Migration Assistant will bring across your applications - you just have to specify that in the options it gives you at the start.

Ozherbie
26th October 2007, 06:05 PM
Migration Assistant will bring across your applications - you just have to specify that in the options it gives you at the start.

Excellent. Thanks for the information.

Dante Kyar
26th October 2007, 06:06 PM
Just did a fresh install, and wow, i can notice the speed difference... of course im loading all my music and photos on now, but hopefully that shouldn't slow it down too much.

The Fluffy Duck
26th October 2007, 10:06 PM
Will a clean install wipe a bootcamp partition?

ollielowe
27th October 2007, 05:08 PM
Will a clean install wipe a bootcamp partition?

I wouldn't think so, because the OS X and bootcamp are in completely different sections of the HD. :)

NeoRicen
27th October 2007, 06:13 PM
I did an upgrade and had no problems AT ALL. I was surprised considering everybody says they're unsafe.

DJY
28th October 2007, 10:36 AM
Ok all...
I noticed a couple of people are asking similiar questions in this thread and others... but to date I haven't seen replies.

Background:
I did a Upgrade Install on my MBP - but like many hit the blue screen issue.
Two x atempts later, two restart attempts, and an overnight wait...
I did an Archive and Install and all seems to be working fine.

(Mac mini upgrade install worked fine first attempt).

How long do you recommend keeping the "Previous System" folder?

For those reading this - Mac OS X install disks come with three options:

Putting in the install disk defaults to an upgrade install - which puts the new Mac OS X over the top of your existing one - and keeps all data / apps / settings etc.

Fresh Install / Erase and Install - which basically wipes everything and starts with a clean slate.

Archive and Install - moves old Mac OS X to a "Previous System" folder, keeps all apps / settings / and user accounts (if you select that option) but then installs a new / fresh version of the Mac OS X.

My MBP seems to be all good now - and even did the latest Software Update for Keychain and Login.

How long do I keep the Previous System folder?
Now Leopard seems to be good, and it's even restarted with the latest software update - Trash it? Keep it on Ext HDD?

I'm leaning towards Trash (its 18GB)... the Setup disks that came with my MBP (latest model) can always put Tiger back on... and I have retail family pack of Leopard.

All thoughts / views / considerations would be muchly appreciated.

aswitcher
28th October 2007, 01:30 PM
Ok all...

All thoughts / views / considerations would be muchly appreciated.

I am thinking the same thing. I have heaps of storage so I am tempted to move it but still, its a lot of wasted space potentially.

I am concerned if I trash it something may not have been migrated and I should move it now before the delete.

edward_h
28th October 2007, 05:51 PM
What is the difference between upgrading and doing a fresh install using the migration assistant?

dmtass
31st October 2007, 09:22 AM
I will be doing an update. As an IT Manager I need to know that it is seamless, and I can do this on all my computers. I am not going to do a clean install on all the macs I will eventually be updating. I have always done updates, and have never had problems with it, so if you want to know how it goes, I will post an update here, after I have done mine, and you can judge for yourself....

Macca with a Mac
31st October 2007, 04:42 PM
Clean install for me as well. I've got enough hangups from my past, don't need my 'puter having them too...

step_andy
31st October 2007, 08:16 PM
Did archive and install option with preserving user accounts - bad: can't log in
Did clean install and import existing accounts - bad: can't log in
Clean install and create new account - all OK

ken
31st October 2007, 11:23 PM
Performed an upgrade. In the Finder sidebar: Retained all Places from Tiger: Desktop, username, Applications, Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures.

I then tried a fresh install. In the Finder sidebar: Desktop, username, Applications, Documents

Anyone know how to get the other Places back onto the sidebar?

sillydog701
1st November 2007, 01:31 AM
I did an upgrade and had no problems AT ALL. I was surprised considering everybody says they're unsafe.

I did an upgrade as well, and haven't experienced any problems.

Gerbils
1st November 2007, 05:07 AM
No problems doing an upgrade here... I even discovered later that I had an ancient copy of APE installed!

gehenna
1st November 2007, 05:54 AM
i wrote a bit of a diatribe message to a friend of mine on facebook about my experiences with upgdrading to leopard on two machines - iMac and Macbook...its pretty long winded so I won't post unless asked but i think i've been pretty comprehensive with it, let me know if anyones interested in reading it and i'll post it.

ken
1st November 2007, 11:34 AM
Performed an upgrade. In the Finder sidebar: Retained all Places from Tiger: Desktop, username, Applications, Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures.

I then tried a fresh install. In the Finder sidebar: Desktop, username, Applications, Documents

Anyone know how to get the other Places back onto the sidebar?

Worked that out. Simply drag any folder, actually ANY app/files whatever into the Places sidebar and it should be good to go. :)

gizo
24th April 2008, 08:44 AM
So it looks like I'll finally be onto Leopard soon...

I'd like to do a fresh install, rather than upgrade, as I have filled this beuaty with Cruft over the last few years.

My main questions are about my photos and musics:
How do I get them into the new install? Do I need to export/import or can I just drag them over from the external backup?
Do I need to un-authorise the MBP from playing the songs I have bought and then re-auth after install?
Can I even re-install iLife '06 with Leopard?