PDA

View Full Version : OS9 Newbie - Adding Software Q's (should be easy!)

tommelbourne
19th February 2005, 08:01 PM
Hay all,

i just inherited an old mac (i.e Powermac g3 beige desktop) running OS 9.2, and i had downloaded a whole whack of games that i planned to play on this machine, games that cannot run on my imac due to me no longer having classic :(. I burnt them to a couple of cd's using toast, excitedly put them in my old mac, and............nothing. The old mac refuses to load the cd's, instead telling me that if i want, i can 'initialise' the disks - essentially, they don't work at all int heold powermac.

Does anyone of you experts out there who actually have experience in this older OS know how i can burn a disc on my imac (using toast or whatever) and get it to load on my old powermac? Or, if this is not possible, how does one go about networking them?

Thanks heaps, looking forward to being able to play my old games again with your help!

Tom Melbourne

Botox
19th February 2005, 10:07 PM
This shouldn't be a problem. Any particular reason why you used Toast? Burn the games onto disk again, but this time, just burn them from the Finder.

sprinter
19th February 2005, 11:06 PM
I have a beige G3 desktop and the CD drive in it is problematic. It often has problems with CD-RW discs and some CD-R discs. Try using a different brand of CD-R discs or get a cross-over ethernet cable and connect the two Macs together.

AusMac
19th February 2005, 11:22 PM
Thing is, you didn't say whether toast had been installed on the older computer or not. You may not be aware that there were some issues with toast and the OS 9.2 Apple installed extensions and you didn't give us details of the burner used. was it external was it FireWire .. etc.
If you can't resolve the viewing of CD's issue then you'd probably be better off to join the Mac's up as sprinter says.

tommelbourne
20th February 2005, 09:22 AM
Botox - I tried burning in both Toast (6) and the Finder, and neither worked.

Sprinter - Well, i tried discs that i have burned in the past (i.e 6 months ago) and they worked, and they were the same brand (TDK Gold CD-R). Will try networking them, shouldn't be that hard, should it?

AusMac - No, Toast has not been installed on the old computer. And the burner i am using is a Superdrive, the one built-in with early 800mhz G4 iMac's. As soon as i can connect them, i will install Toast on the old computer, see if that makes a difference!

Thanks all,

Tom Melbourne

Byrd
21st February 2005, 06:47 PM
Another vote for a dodgy CD drive in your beige G3, the stock 24X chokes on most CD-R brands I've tried (Verbatim seem to work well).

Otherwise, check your Extension Manager to see if you have all the correct drivers installed under OS 9 eg. CD/DVD extention, ISO9600, Toast extension, and the like.

JB

Gothikon
21st February 2005, 07:07 PM
Rather than checking for all the right extensions just put it back to OS 9 all or whatever that set is called in the EM. View by package is also helpful, if you have toast on it you can then turn all the toast ones on in one go and try again.

However I vote for craptacular CD drive in the beige. Why not transfer the files via ethernet? If you have a machine running OS X it almost certainly has ethernet. Turn on file sharing and copy the files over. You might need a cross over ethernet cable. Although most recent macs connection type and don't mind if it's a cross over cable or a regular one.

zeddie2001
21st February 2005, 08:10 PM
have you tried burning the CD as "Mac OS CD" NOT "Mac OS Extended" because I can't remember if Mac OS 9 can read Extended. I might be wrong, in fact I think I am, but its worth giving a try.

tommelbourne
21st February 2005, 09:06 PM
UPDATE: i took all your advice, thanks all, and pulled one of the CD-ROM drives from another beige and put it in - everything works fine! yay!

New question - does anyone know wether a second hdd can be installed in this computer? it has a ATI RAGE PRO graphics chipset, so is a rev b motherboard, can i just take a hdd out of one of my other machines and 'shove it in'?

Thanks,

Tom Melbourne