PDA

View Full Version : will you get Leopard immediately at launch date?



halledise
17th October 2007, 05:27 AM
informal poll: ................


will you get Leopard immediately at launch date?

will you wait a while?

or will you stick with Tiger for the forseeable future?
(or an earlier OS for that matter)


(at $158 it is cheaper than the $220 for Tiger if I recall)

BLINDER
17th October 2007, 05:36 AM
I might wait until it gets to 5.1 - let some of the bugs get ironed out (if they're there - and you gotta assume they are...).
It'll be a family pack here.
But do I understand it won't work on my 800mhz imac??

jerrah
17th October 2007, 05:48 AM
Wait to see if they actually put a restriction in place, or whether it's a recommendation against slower G4's.

stewiesno1
17th October 2007, 06:06 AM
Nope . It won't run on my machines and I have just upgraded to 10.3.9 !
Stewie

black_nail
17th October 2007, 06:14 AM
yep :) - already pre-ordered.. i just hope it is delivered first thing in the morning - i don't want to be sitting around all day waiting for the delivery.. i'll want to be playing with my new toy!

SyncMan
17th October 2007, 06:48 AM
Wait to see if they actually put a restriction in place, or whether it's a recommendation against slower G4's.

The specs on what machines will and won't is already up.

gelfie
17th October 2007, 07:08 AM
Already ordered. Anyone want to feed me for the rest of the month?

Pay my rent? Or net access or something?

Brains
17th October 2007, 07:09 AM
I'm with stewie ... no 10.5 for me, not until I get a machine that can support it (which is unlikely to happen in the forseeable future)


B.

iSlayer
17th October 2007, 07:10 AM
getting and installing as soon as its available

Paxton
17th October 2007, 07:13 AM
Nope. I've only got my PowerBook left that will support it, and I quite like Tiger anyway.

There is nothing in Leopard that jumps out and grabs me anyways...

grorr76
17th October 2007, 07:15 AM
evidently its not confirmed yet if photoshop runs under leopard gonna be a wait and see for me. i run to many pro apps for my work, i need to be 100% sure everything will work before upgrading.

Goodbye
17th October 2007, 07:25 AM
Will hopefully be getting my copy on the day as well, depending on how the Up-to-date program works. Only going to cost me $12.95!

Arkhum_Eramak
17th October 2007, 07:41 AM
I'll be getting it on day 1 and installing. I'm having heaps of trouble with 10.4.10, so I'd rather have infrequent hangs with new features at the very least :P

mechcon
17th October 2007, 07:48 AM
ah yes.. software differences... well I need to purchase an (enormous) external drive quicksmart before I take the plunge

nortonjg
17th October 2007, 07:51 AM
Will it be in stores on day 1? like apple centers or resellers, or is it the only way to get it on the day by pre ordering on apple store website?

iSlayer
17th October 2007, 07:57 AM
Will it be in stores on day 1? like apple centers or resellers, or is it the only way to get it on the day by pre ordering on apple store website?

If its the same as normal then resellers will be allowed to sell it from about 6pm on the 26th.

Phase
17th October 2007, 08:09 AM
I'm really torn.

As I found out yesterday, Adobe Cs3 software refuses to install onto your system if you're running Safari 3.

It's a known issue at Adobe, but has been for a very long time.

If it's still broken at launch, I'll be forced to wait. If not, I'll be picking it up that night.

Galumay
17th October 2007, 08:12 AM
it will be available instore on the same day.

grorr76
17th October 2007, 08:12 AM
I'm really torn.

As I found out yesterday, Adobe Cs3 software refuses to install onto your system if you're running Safari 3.

It's a known issue at Adobe, but has been for a very long time.

If it's still broken at launch, I'll be forced to wait. If not, I'll be picking it up that night.

Infact we have not had it confirmed that final cut studio will be ok etc etc any media pros would be crazy to install this if your working on a project. its only common sense to wait for all the kinks to be ironed out and compatibility to be proven.

LCGuy
17th October 2007, 08:25 AM
I'm getting it :)

mjankor
17th October 2007, 08:26 AM
I'm getting it as soon as I can get my grubby little hands on it.

SilverJ
17th October 2007, 08:44 AM
Not on launch date,
only been running my mac just over a month and got it all good now,
tiger works perfectly for me of course...
I think I'll wait another month and then get Leopard,
because I'll have to fully format my mac then and install leopard clean right?

Also, I primarily use my mac for CS3, so if that doesn't work I'll scream :-)

BlowMeDown
17th October 2007, 08:46 AM
I've pre-ordered the family pack from Apple Online. Will be a be a busy day for me on the 26th.

grorr76
17th October 2007, 08:51 AM
Not on launch date,
only been running my mac just over a month and got it all good now,
tiger works perfectly for me of course...
I think I'll wait another month and then get Leopard,
because I'll have to fully format my mac then and install leopard clean right?

Also, I primarily use my mac for CS3, so if that doesn't work I'll scream :-)

it wont adobe have said as much.

Alec Fraser
17th October 2007, 08:56 AM
Already pre-ordered! Can't wait to be able to use Back to my Mac ;)

conufsed
17th October 2007, 08:56 AM
I'm holding off ordering my new macbook pro until it will come with Leopard now. I live all day in TextMate doing ruby on rails dev, and hey leopard comes with rails so everything should be super easy to get rolling.

Also want to get Leopard as TextMate's developer has been saying TextMate 2.0 will require Leopard because some of the new dev frameworks

halledise
17th October 2007, 08:57 AM
I'm with stewie ... no 10.5 for me, not until I get a machine that can support it (which is unlikely to happen in the forseeable future)


B.

Leopard requires a minimum of 512MB of RAM and is designed to run on any Macintosh computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5 or G4 (867 Mhz or faster) processor. Full system requirements can be found at www.apple.com.au/macosx/techspecs

does that count you out Brains??

halledise
17th October 2007, 09:00 AM
I'm getting it as soon as I can get my grubby little hands on it.

off topic but:

deleted in favor of PM

halledise
17th October 2007, 09:12 AM
mine's coming as a 'drop in' upgrade for free as part of a deal when purchasing a new MB in early Sept.

recently tho' in a mad moment I wiped my HD, wrote copious zeroes to it, then reinstalled Tiger, my current apps + faithful AppleWorks - & now it flies like crazy.

took me 3 hours all up, including the SW Updates and transferring my files &c from iPod backup.

best result for a morning's work I've had in years.

like a few others - will do the Leopard upgrade after 10.5.1 is released.

my son is thrilled to learn his 12" PB 867mhz will run Leopard comfprtably (buy your own copy son!):D

rob05
17th October 2007, 09:19 AM
I have pre-ordered it from the Apple online store and will receive it some time between 8 am - 9.30 am Friday 26th Oct

Now I cannot wait for the fun.

Alec Fraser
17th October 2007, 09:58 AM
I just realised that I'm in Wollongong from Thursday to Saturday next week for work...damnit :(

leharicot
17th October 2007, 10:01 AM
i'm waiting till it comes installed on a MacBook. How long after 26 Oct do you think it will be preinstalled on the MB - a few weeks?

micaros
17th October 2007, 10:07 AM
I'll be waiting for a little bit. Although the surprisingly reasonable pricing makes it more tempting to just dive straight on in. There aren't many must-haves for me in this upgrade, however I'm still keen and I'm sure I won't want to go back.

Dubhousing
17th October 2007, 10:20 AM
I'll install on the Macbook Pro and wait with the iMac until I am satisfied all is well. I am buying principally for Time Machine and to ensure I can keep using MS Project in bootcamp (how I hate that program).

vargz
17th October 2007, 10:25 AM
i'm waiting till it comes installed on a MacBook. How long after 26 Oct do you think it will be preinstalled on the MB - a few weeks?

Definitely by a few weeks, if not sooner. I ordered my Powerbook a couple of days after the Tiger release and it came pre-installed. Ask the salesperson when you make the order and they should be able to tell you or even make certain you get Leopard included.

Just note though, new Macbooks are due for release soon so if you can hang about through Nov it might be worth it.

Dubhousing
17th October 2007, 10:31 AM
Has anyone heard whether there will be a Cisco VPN client compatable with Leopard? With Tiger the client took months to be released.

leharicot
17th October 2007, 10:32 AM
Just note though, new Macbooks are due for release soon so if you can hang about through Nov it might be worth it.

just checked the buying guide and there seems to be strong rumours for a nov refresh. didn't SJ say a while ago that the entire range will be refreshed before christmas? or was he just talking about ipods. Anyway, MacBooks are a consumer product so it makes sense that they get refreshed before the silly season.

refreshed macbook and leopard - christmas is going to come early!

Granny Smith
17th October 2007, 10:39 AM
Will get Leopard when I update from my venerable eMac to a shiny new iMac. If my budget is accurate, that should be just before Apple pumps out the last update for Leopard ahead of releasing its next Big Cat.

chrome
17th October 2007, 10:44 AM
hell, yes.

lavo
17th October 2007, 10:53 AM
I'll drop in to a reseller on the way home from work. Knowing Apple, deliveries to this part of the world will happen on the 29th rather than the 26th.

The Fluffy Duck
17th October 2007, 11:02 AM
im getting it. I just hope maya works

Squozen
17th October 2007, 11:13 AM
Nope. I've only got my PowerBook left that will support it, and I quite like Tiger anyway.

There is nothing in Leopard that jumps out and grabs me anyways...

There will be once you try the new Finder. It sucks far, far less.

I preordered the family pack 5 minutes ago once Gringo told me it was available.. :P

mechcon
17th October 2007, 11:33 AM
Tossing up as to whether I go with my usual vendor for my mac stuff.. or I go to next byte in town, make an evening out of it (in other words, go grab leopard, then go get smashed at the pub). and then coming home at 2-3am extremely maggotted and try to install leopard that way :P

jeremy_warnock
17th October 2007, 11:33 AM
just ordered mine through nextbyte

mechcon
17th October 2007, 11:44 AM
Though I do want an education discount... meh I'll stick with my contacts :P

landog
17th October 2007, 11:45 AM
will it run on a g4?

Paxton
17th October 2007, 11:50 AM
There will be once you try the new Finder. It sucks far, far less.

I preordered the family pack 5 minutes ago once Gringo told me it was available.. :P

If its anything like iTunes, I'll pass thanks.

I also like Tiger's idea of having a White Menu Bar across the top of the screen, and my current Dock (I am a Dock on the Bottom person however).

Edit: ozpodcaster, presuming your G4 is 867 MHz+, then you'll be fine. Otherwise, its Tiger only for your machine.