PDA

View Full Version : Green Macbook Pro

Jaffa
15th October 2007, 08:45 PM
Hey guys,

My friend spray painted his MacBook Pro green, and I think you guys would be interested in some pics :)

http://blog.jaffacomputing.net/wp-content/gallery/technology/thumbs/thumbs_image055.jpghttp://blog.jaffacomputing.net/wp-content/gallery/technology/thumbs/thumbs_image056.jpg (http://blog.jaffacomputing.net/photos/?album=1&gallery=1)
(click to see bigger)

He pulled it apart, spray painted each part, and put it back together. He's here now caus his computer wouldnt turn on after he put it all back together, so we took it apart again and were trying to figure out whats wrong with it, and it turned out that he had a dodgy RAM bay.

Anyways, enjoy the pics and post your comments. We'll be interested in what you guys think :)

Jeff

p53
15th October 2007, 08:51 PM
nice
did he follow a guide?

andrew.wilson
15th October 2007, 08:53 PM
Looking good Jaffa! Can kind of notice the paint (its not goss is it?) on the shot of the back of the computer...but it is just the angle I think.

Can you ask your mate how hard it was to do..or if there is a good guide out there I ask because as posted a while ago, my gf wants to colour her MB somehow when she gets it so its up to me of course to organize it!

Jaffa
15th October 2007, 08:56 PM
Looking good Jaffa! Can kind of notice the paint (its not goss is it?) on the shot of the back of the computer...but it is just the angle I think.

Can you ask your mate how hard it was to do..or if there is a good guide out there I ask because as posted a while ago, my gf wants to colour her MB somehow when she gets it so its up to me of course to organize it!

It's gloss enamel paint, but you can't notice it because of the light, also the lighting and the angle made the paint look finny in that spot your talking about.

Bout the guide, nah, he didnt follow anything, not even a pull-apart guide. It still looks really cool tho and I rekon he did a good job with it.

Bout the hardness, he said it wasnt hard just a pain to take apart. When it didnt work he got a little pissed tho, but yeah it was just a dodgy ram slot, and since he only had one stick of ram the dodgy slot was never used until he put it back together.

Jeff

andrew.wilson
15th October 2007, 09:01 PM
It's gloss enamel paint, but you can't notice it because of the light, also the lighting and the angle made the paint look finny in that spot your talking about.

Bout the guide, nah, he didnt follow anything, not even a pull-apart guide. It still looks really cool tho and I rekon he did a good job with it.

Bout the hardness, he said it wasnt hard just a pain to take apart. When it didnt work he got a little pissed tho, but yeah it was just a dodgy ram slot, and since he only had one stick of ram the dodgy slot was never used until he put it back together.

Jeff

Awesome, thanks for that mate :) Will sus it out when the time comes. We are waiting until early November to see if a new MB gets announced, so it might be a difference story then.

Cheers :thumbup:

big-ray
15th October 2007, 09:04 PM

http://geektechnique.org/projectlab/203

the ibook is painted from the inside, and with some alcohol (99%) you can 'wash' it off. Then apparently you can tint the inside.

some one will pipe up if the MB is the same.

Looks similar

Ray

EDIT link to painting ibook
http://www.norum.ca/carl/mods/paint/index.html

iSlayer
15th October 2007, 09:11 PM
Nice work but not sure i would have picked green :)

Linux_insidev2
15th October 2007, 09:28 PM
Pimpin!

halledise
15th October 2007, 09:31 PM
I must be missing something here - but why on earth would one bother??

eek
15th October 2007, 09:34 PM
how cool would it be to have a completely transparent iBook??

I think I will buy an iBook just so I can make it transparent for the hell of it, haha.

Btw, i'm curious how wear-resistant that green paint is going to be. What kind of preparation was done? High-grit sandpaper? wet/dry? primer? etc etc..

Personally I think it looks hideous. Who would want to wreck the nice silver of a mbp? Anyways, each to their own.

STK
15th October 2007, 10:02 PM
Whats the app that does that lock on the screen?

Nice, allthough i dont like the sliver KB and things...

Jaffa
15th October 2007, 10:13 PM
how cool would it be to have a completely transparent iBook??

I think I will buy an iBook just so I can make it transparent for the hell of it, haha.

Btw, i'm curious how wear-resistant that green paint is going to be. What kind of preparation was done? High-grit sandpaper? wet/dry? primer? etc etc..

Personally I think it looks hideous. Who would want to wreck the nice silver of a mbp? Anyways, each to their own.

Yeah, well his macbook was pretty scratched up from the begining so he just wanted to do something to make it look different :P

Basically he cleaned it and sprayed on a layer of white undercoat, then the green gloss enamel spray paint.

It does look pretty cool I have to admit, although I wouldnt personally do it to my macbook...

Whats the app that does that lock on the screen?

Nice, allthough i dont like the sliver KB and things...

The app that locks the screen is called DeskShade (http://macrabbit.com/).

Nasque
5th January 2008, 11:49 AM
Yeh, i saw this particular laptop in Real life guys. :thumbup:

Jaffa's mate did a very clean job with the enamel paint, but although being gloss it still ends up as a matte look.

The end product is extremely stable, but letting the smell get out is a good idea. With this kind of paint, you need about 4-5 layers to have a decent protective coating.

Jaffa, did he use a finish to keep the paint from scratching?

-Andy

LarryH
5th January 2008, 11:52 AM
That looks so cool! I'd like to see red keys on there! :)

Ruotian
5th January 2008, 01:51 PM
does the paint smell when the lappy goes above 80celsius i.e.playing nfs?

aokman
5th January 2008, 02:58 PM
I dont see the coat lasting very long, i would have taken the panels off and had it anodized instead :)

Jaffa
7th January 2008, 12:06 PM
Yeh, i saw this particular laptop in Real life guys. :thumbup:

Jaffa's mate did a very clean job with the enamel paint, but although being gloss it still ends up as a matte look.

The end product is extremely stable, but letting the smell get out is a good idea. With this kind of paint, you need about 4-5 layers to have a decent protective coating.

Jaffa, did he use a finish to keep the paint from scratching?

-Andy

Nope, no finish. The paint is already starting to scratch off, if you havnt seen it already...

I dont see the coat lasting very long, i would have taken the panels off and had it anodized instead :)

Yeah, that would be the proper way to go, but hay, he doesnt care :P

Me, I wouldnt have done it myself... IMO the original colour looks much nicer :)

Carcenomy
7th January 2008, 12:20 PM
Finally, some sense talked! :)

Painting aluminium is sacrilege. You just don't do it, you either polish it to a gleaming mirror finish and give it a clear coat, or you anodize it.

As for the polycarbonate body machines proper polycarbonate paints make the job much tidier, a good example is Tamiya's PS range of spraypaints which although intended for R/C car bodies, work perfectly on the polycarbonates of an iBook. Not sure on the way the MacBook is finished compared to the old translucent iBooks, are they opaque or translucent?

Byrd
7th January 2008, 06:00 PM
Only the G3 iBooks have removable white paint, which does need a fair bit of work to get it to come off. Later iBooks - including Macbooks - have opaque plastics, which will never go transparent.

The best way to colour opaque plastics is with vinyl dye, which seeps into the plastic to create a permanent, scratch-free colour.

JB

Carcenomy
7th January 2008, 08:38 PM
A man of much insight :)

I guess it all depends on how much effort you want to put in, and how rough you are with your gear. Vinyl dye is very quick and very easy, but doesn't come in a terribly diverse colour range.

Polycarb paints are tough, but still need lots of careful preparation to use, and need gentle handling even after drying.

Actually, this raises a curious ponderance - the early iBook G3 Clams were transparent, yet it seems the FireWire Clams are opaque... I wonder why Apple didn't stick with opaque plastics for the Snow iBooks?

Byrd
7th January 2008, 08:56 PM
I wonder why Apple didn't stick with opaque plastics for the Snow iBooks?

Cost? Must be cheaper to make one single coloured moulding over moulding + paint. Shame, as some of those translucent iBooks look great.

JB

visional_studios
7th January 2008, 09:08 PM
Good job I guess, but honestly, I think it looks hideous...

stewiesno1
7th January 2008, 10:15 PM
Whoah. Kinda looks like a hooker all tarted up. Can't look away in a pervy kind of way but I wouldn't like to be seen out in public with it.
All it needs now is a Windows '95 sticker stuck on it .

Stewie

Linux_insidev2
7th January 2008, 11:01 PM
Finally, some sense talked! :)

Painting aluminium is sacrilege. You just don't do it, you either polish it to a gleaming mirror finish and give it a clear coat, or you anodize it.

That sort of doesn't work when the machine's a Macbook, you know - made out of polycarbonate.

Carcenomy
8th January 2008, 12:18 AM
That sort of doesn't work when the machine's a Macbook, you know - made out of polycarbonate.
That comment sorta doesn't work when the thread and first post are entitled clearly 'Macbook Pro' and the machine clearly also has traditional latches (to my understanding Macbooks don't have hooks) and a silver keyboard. All of that would somewhat, JUST somewhat suggest it's an MBP, would it not?

Jaffa
8th January 2008, 12:26 AM
All it needs now is a Windows '95 sticker stuck on it.

Funny you said that, as the guy is a Windows fan... :P

Linux_insidev2
8th January 2008, 12:33 AM
That comment sorta doesn't work when the thread and first post are entitled clearly 'Macbook Pro' and the machine clearly also has traditional latches (to my understanding Macbooks don't have hooks) and a silver keyboard. All of that would somewhat, JUST somewhat suggest it's an MBP, would it not?

Touché, didn't read the OP and the thumbnail looked like a macbook

cosmichobo
8th January 2008, 12:43 AM
Ok, so, when I was a kid, I ended up with 2 Optimus Primes (G1) after my first one broke, and so I decided to make the broken one different, and got out the black and blue paint...

But, that was at worst worth $60...

Fark... Ok - it is COOL! But... you wouldn't want to do it to a brand new machine... surely?!

stevejay
8th January 2008, 06:17 AM
Pretty green.

You know you're computing on it?

;)

stewiesno1
8th January 2008, 06:22 AM
You should check out forum member Rayds LebBook and ask him what he painted it with.

Stewie

morn
9th January 2008, 09:39 AM
Ugh, ruined! Silver is best.

LarryH
9th January 2008, 09:45 AM
Actually I would like Red with a green glowing Apple :D

gehenna
9th January 2008, 09:59 AM
omg that poor macbook lol

Carcenomy
9th January 2008, 09:40 PM
Meh, to each their own. I do think this silver/white or black choice is incredibly bland... bring back options! *clings to his KeyLime*