PDA

View Full Version : Router problem

supermans_alter_ego
15th October 2007, 05:13 PM
Hi all,

I have optus adsl with a speedstream modem. I have just bought another computer and want to have that connected to the internet too, so I went and bought a netgear 4 port router. Its supposed to be plug n play one line going in, ie the internet, and multiple computers running off it, in my case a mac and pc. Each work individually through the router but when you plug them in together they seem to clash. The router is FS605 and I have tried the netgear website in case we are using the wrong ports or I need configure the router but the web page it suggests to type in doesn't work.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas?

cheers
Nick

chrome
15th October 2007, 05:45 PM
what do you mean by clash?

Do you have each computer configured to obtain an IP address automatically?

supermans_alter_ego
15th October 2007, 05:52 PM
hi chrome,

yeah i don't know very much about this stuff to be honest. when i reset the modem both computer's internet worked for about 10-20 seconds and then both stop. will check the ip address thing though.

thanks

FreeGifts
8th November 2007, 04:48 AM
Sometimes when you have multiple computers on the same network clashing occurs. There are a couple of possible reasons for this. If you check your pc settings be sure to check that the settings for the connection you are using whether it be local area connection or wireless check the properties then click to see properties of tcp/ip in there you should be able to find a place where you can tell it to obtain the ip address automatically. Set the two pages where obtaining automatically are possible choices. You might also want to check that the computer names are not the same names as well because this too could cause the clashing you seem to be having.