PDA

View Full Version : iMac Major Problem! :(

applecollector
19th February 2005, 08:24 AM
Hi,

I need help with my iMac 350 everytime i turn it on i have to wait like half an hour before i can use it, it starts up and goes to the desktop but i can do anything and after like 30 mins it suddnely
starts to work.
Currently i'm accually writing this from the same computer, The iMac has OS 9.2.2 with 128Mb Ram and 129Mb Virtual Memory.
Thankyou :D

stooge
19th February 2005, 08:42 AM
Maybe your hard drive is on the way out, hard drives that I have had fail on me have gone dreadfully slow until they eventually give up the ghost.

Maybe a new hard drive and some more ram might help your cause.

Have you tried doing a desktop rebuild ? hold down the apple and the option key whilst it is booting. It will ask you if you want to rebuild the desktop , click yes and let it do its thing.

applecollector
19th February 2005, 08:45 AM
Hi,

But the HDD isn't slow at all i think that it's the Ram.
HDD is just as fast as the day i bought it (About a month ago, lol )
anyway what do you think!

suryo
19th February 2005, 08:47 AM
Have you tried doing a desktop rebuild ? hold down the apple and the option key whilst it is booting. It will ask you if you want to rebuild the desktop , click yes and let it do its thing.

It's usually best to disable extensions before rebuilding the desktop. Hold Apple-option-shift until you see "Extensions Off" then you can let the shift key go but keep Apple-Option depressed until you are presented with the option to rebuild the desktop. Restart the computer afterwards.

suryo
19th February 2005, 08:49 AM
But the HDD isn't slow at all i think that it's the Ram.
HDD is just as fast as the day i bought it (About a month ago, lol )
anyway what do you think!

Have you verified the hard drive?
Have you rebuilt the desktop?

applecollector
19th February 2005, 09:07 AM
Ok i have verified the HDD and it's in good shape,
So i guess after i get off the internet i will restart the computer and do
a desktop rebuild.
I will see what happens.

kim jong il
23rd February 2005, 07:06 AM
Could be the sharing extension doing its thing when it can't establish a remote connection (networked machine not remote access) and just keeps on trying. Normally this is only about 4 minutes it just seems like half an hour. Have you looked at the clock while this is happening? Does it freeze as well or does it continue while the machine sits there with a partially built desktop and you get annoyed. I'd seriously consider dumping my preferences if I were you. Just make sure you keep a backup copy of your preference folder and store it outside your system folder (this extra step may not be needed; I don't know). Just drag the preferences to the Trash and empty away. Restart your machine and tells us how you go.

kim