PDA

View Full Version : Changing the groups a user is in.

cmetom
28th March 2004, 12:54 PM
hey all.

installing 10.2 for the second time ever, yesterday, I put in my own desired account details when install asked me to make the first account. now, of course, this account is the "root" account or whatever. i don't like this as i want to be able to "allow this account to log in from windows" which is greyed out.

running the id command, i see that my account is part of groups 'staff' and 'admin'.
can i create a new account called "root" or "admin" and force it to be the main "root" account?

thanks,
Tom

cmetom
28th March 2004, 01:35 PM
ok fixed, i think (haven't tested yet.. windows is having a spaz attack).

i created the actual "root" account, following this guide: http://www.osxfaq.com/Tutorials/Root_User_Creation/index.ws

then, using NetInfo Manager, selecting /users/cmetom (my account), i changed the "authentication_authority" string from ";basic;" to "(;basic;, ;LocalWindowsHash;)"

this allowed me to go to the Accounts preferences panel and tick the box marked "allow this user to login from windows", which was previously greyed out on my account.

restarting windows now to clear out network passwords (i've been fiddling *rollseyes*) and to try it out.

btw, vnc rocks when you've got one monitor and your Apple USB keyboard cord is too short!