PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Decide!



Comet
14th January 2004, 12:03 AM
I've got approx $3700 to spend on a Apple laptop

Option 1: Get an iBook 12" and save up the money for something later
Option 2: Get a powerbook 12" superdrive from the US
Option 3: Get a powerbook 15" 1.25ghz model with combo drive from the US

I would have gotten the iBook until I realised that I want to do some video editting what not and burn onto DVD. I've got an external DVD burner, but after seeing the keynote, iDVD 4 looks very nice. So, what would you all suggest I'd do? Option 3 stretches my budget really far, and if I get taxed, then I'll be spending an extra 100 bucks on top of hte 3700 I have set aside

decryption
14th January 2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Comet@Jan 14 2004, 01:03 AM
I've got approx $3700 to spend on a Apple laptop

Option 1: Get an iBook 12" and save up the money for something later
Option 2: Get a powerbook 12" superdrive from the US
Option 3: Get a powerbook 15" 1.25ghz model with combo drive from the US

I would have gotten the iBook until I realised that I want to do some video editting what not and burn onto DVD. I've got an external DVD burner, but after seeing the keynote, iDVD 4 looks very nice. So, what would you all suggest I'd do? Option 3 stretches my budget really far, and if I get taxed, then I'll be spending an extra 100 bucks on top of hte 3700 I have set aside
mmmmm, 15" PowerBook... I know that's what I want :P
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple updates the 12" PowerBook soon, as it resembles the 14" iBook too closley and is more expensive.
14" 933MHz G4 is only $2100 with an educational discount ;)

Disko
14th January 2004, 08:41 AM
I'll tell you what i told decryption earlier. You have time on your side - it's not like you must have the notebook immediately. Wait, and save up the $100 extra. If i waited on my powerbook, i'd be using a dual G5 right now... (which is a good thing ;) )

jameso
18th January 2004, 04:48 PM
i wouldn't be buying an apple laptop atm unless you couldn't live with out one... If you can't wait then spend everything you have and just hope your heart/soul can take the fact that apple will EOL that model the week after you get it.

I'm sure there is a person out there with a big heart helping mac users recover from the shock. google is your friend

jameso

stevejay
19th January 2004, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Comet@Jan 14 2004, 01:03 AM
I've got approx $3700 to spend on a Apple laptop

Option 1: Get an iBook 12" and save up the money for something later
Option 2: Get a powerbook 12" superdrive from the US
Option 3: Get a powerbook 15" 1.25ghz model with combo drive from the US

I would have gotten the iBook until I realised that I want to do some video editting what not and burn onto DVD. I've got an external DVD burner, but after seeing the keynote, iDVD 4 looks very nice. So, what would you all suggest I'd do? Option 3 stretches my budget really far, and if I get taxed, then I'll be spending an extra 100 bucks on top of hte 3700 I have set aside
Dont buy from the US, by the time you get through exchange rate, GST (customs will sting you for it) and freight, you're probably in the same ballpark as buying from your local Applecentre.

Get the 12" powerbook with superdrive.