PDA

View Full Version : Connecting computers

susieW
11th October 2007, 12:23 PM
This is basic, but I am new to this game still. I bought a firewire cable and now want to connect macbook to imac to transfer and update files mainly photos and docs and Tv recordings from eye TV on to laptop to take away. Both are identical OX bought at the same time. Thanks

cosmichobo
11th October 2007, 12:33 PM
Hi susieW,

All you have to do, is restart one of them (either way really), and hold down the "T" key as it starts up again.

That will initiate "firewire mode", turning the computer basically into a big hard drive.

Then use the firewire cable (needs to have 2 "fat" ends, not 1 fat/1 skinny) to connect them up, and the "T" machine will appear as an external drive.

Transfer files at will.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

patcanuck
11th October 2007, 12:40 PM
Someone who has done this more recently than I have will come along and give you the accurate info. Basically it is a matter of booting one of them in "target mode". Turn both off; connect with firewire cable. Turn both on but hold the "T" key down on the one you want to show up as an external drive on the desktop of the other mac. Continue holding down until it appears on the other desktop then release. Now you can start moving things back and forth. :)
I found this by going to "HELP" at the top of your menu when in Finder:
To use FireWire target disk mode

Make sure that the target computer is turned off. If you are using a PowerBook or iBook as the target computer, you should also plug in its AC power adapter.
Use a FireWire cable (6-pin to 6-pin) to connect the target computer to a host computer. The host computer does not need to be turned off.
Start up the target computer and immediately press and hold down the T key until the FireWire icon appears. The hard disk of the target computer should become available to the host computer and will likely appear on desktop. (If the target computer is running Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, you can also open System Preferences, choose Startup Disk, and click Target Disk Mode. Then restart the computer and it will start up in Target Disk Mode.)
When you are finished copying files, drag the target computer's hard disk icon to the Trash or select Put Away from the File menu (Mac OS 9) or Eject from the File menu (Mac OS X).
Press the target computer's power button to turn it off.
Unplug the FireWire cable.

Mac Ram
11th October 2007, 01:03 PM
I know the OP bought a firewire cable - hence the target disk mode method.

But just for my own curiosity, isn't it "simpler" to just connect the two via ethernet and transfer the files that way?

jubilantjeremy
11th October 2007, 01:14 PM
I know the OP bought a firewire cable - hence the target disk mode method.

But just for my own curiosity, isn't it "simpler" to just connect the two via ethernet and transfer the files that way?

Ethernet (if it's 100mbit) would be quite slow. If you're going to go to the bother - and it can take a bit of stuffing around to get going - make it a firewire TCP/IP network... All macs and most PCs have this functionality built in, but no-one seems to know about it!

You can even get firewire hubs..

Jeremy

Edit : Oh, OK.. if you're connecting them directly with ethernet, it needs to be a crossover cable..

susieW
11th October 2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks all. I am forever looking for the complicated way to do things with these Macs! Too much time on an old PC. Worked well. What a hoot.

kim jong il
11th October 2007, 03:04 PM
Ethernet (if it's 100mbit) would be quite slow. If you're going to go to the bother - and it can take a bit of stuffing around to get going - make it a firewire TCP/IP network... All macs and most PCs have this functionality built in, but no-one seems to know about it!

You can even get firewire hubs..

Jeremy

Edit : Oh, OK.. if you're connecting them directly with ethernet, it needs to be a crossover cable..

No one seems to have considered (or made it clear at least) that FireWire network connections work just fine as well and gives you good transfer speeds. Also connecting directly via ethernet you do not need a crossover cable. Macs have been smart enough for years to know what cable has been plugged in and communicate accordingly.

bennettnz
11th October 2007, 03:10 PM
Out of curiosity, what is the maximum length for a firewire cable and also an ethernet cable for solid data transfers?

iSlayer
11th October 2007, 03:16 PM
Out of curiosity, what is the maximum length for a firewire cable and also an ethernet cable for solid data transfers?

4.5m for firewire(officially - you can get longer)
100m for ethernet but again you can get longer

Eurosnob
11th October 2007, 03:20 PM
My how timely!

I did this just last night, migrating my GF's account from the Mini to her brand spanking 15" MBP.

I started the Mini in FW mode and started the migration assistant on the MBP - 30Gb of files in < 1 hour. FW is the way to go for speed, ethernet is slow these days - found that out the hard way a while back :mad:

One advantage of FW mode is that it gets you around not being able to access the files of other accounts on the target machine so you can grab their prOn stash! :)

bartron
11th October 2007, 04:55 PM
4.5m for firewire(officially - you can get longer)
100m for ethernet but again you can get longer

slightly OT but we made a custom USB cable that reached around 20 metres (using a hacked USB extension lead and some cat5) without a problem......was only using it for kb/mouse though.

back on topic....I use firewire networking all the time at home. fast and easy to set up....and no re-booting

cosmichobo
11th October 2007, 05:28 PM
I'd never thought of using Firewire as a "network" method... I guess when I've wanted to transfer files between my eMac & Pismo, the idea of turning the Pismo off and booting in Target disk mode just never came up... (and also given that the Pismo takes a good few minutes to boot...)

As for why use it over ethernet - God the hassles I've had with ethernet... like the PIsmo going to sleep mid-file transfer - resulting in freezing one/both machines... Couldn't find a setting to get around that - had to keep touching the touchpad to keep it awake... very annoying.